Start by marking “A Religious History of the American People” as Want to Read:
A Religious History of the American People

A Religious History of the American People

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
This classic work, winner of the 1973 National Book Award in Philosophy and Religion and Christian Century’s choice as the Religious Book of the Decade (1979), is now issued with a new chapter by noted religious historian David Hall, who carries the story of American religious history forward to the present day.
Paperback, Second Edition, 1216 pages
Published July 11th 2004 by Yale University Press (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about A Religious History of the American People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Religious History of the American People

Erik Graff
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of American religious history
Recommended to Erik by: David Lotz
Shelves: religion
I picked this up at the excellant Union Theological Seminary bookstore while still studying there, inspired by the sequence of Church History courses required for the M.Div., courses which did not include the course on American Church History. Ahlstrom's was the text for that class.

Over a decade later I finally get down to reading the thing and regret not having done so earlier. Ahlstrom's review is fascinating, particularly to someone who knows their North American history pretty well, but has
Sharon
Jul 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Anthroposophists? Check. Encyclicals from the Pope? Double check. The church and 1900s-era immigration? Step right up.

Unfortunately I read only the 1975 edition of Volume Two, but fortunately I still found it to be engaging and relevant. In this comprehensive study, Ahlstrom (mostly chronologically) covers the development of American religious life from the Transcendentalism of Emerson to the social overhaul of the 1960s. While he occasionally gets bogged down detailing denominational shifts and
Kate
Nov 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Mistitled, as it basically addresses only JudeoChristian (emphasis on Christian) faith. Still, great, balanced reference for Christian US History.
Ray
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The gold standard for works of its kind, but a Yale historian. Even 30-odd years later, it makes its successors (Gaustaud and Noll's wonderful texts) seem superfluous. Massive in size and scope, it deals with social, political and intellectual issues masterfully. Very clear and accessible, while creative and brilliant.
Kelly
Apr 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: religion nerds
Shelves: religion
A Religious History of the American People will probably be on my "currently reading" list for about a million years. That's how big and heavy and long this book is. It's a classic, though, so if you're interested in American religious history (I am), then you should read it.
Beth
Aug 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-school
Yes, it's a classic, but I found it a bit dull, for all of that. That may have a lot to do with having speed-read this for comprehensive exams.
Michael McCue
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good, extremely complete history covering every denomination, sect, cult and movement in two vol. Read it while a student at the Church Divinity School of the Pacific in Berkeley CA. My advisor, Dr. Samuel Garrett recommended it.
Eric Lazarian
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From my 2008 Amazon Review:

The finest single volume work on American religious history December 18, 2003 By Eric Lazarian "New England Calvinist" I cannot praise this work enough. The time invested in reading this book has been well worth it. It has not yet been surpassed in scope or excellence. The work is well-balanced and covers all of the major movements and some of the minor movements in American religious history. The Puritans are dealt with fairly, as are other Protestant and non-Protesta
Greg
Sep 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Public schools and universities seem to dilute American history of much of its religious content. The former for over-reading the establishment clause and the latter for a (religous) desire to see the world through economic and social constructs. You can fill the holes left in your history education by allowing Ahlstrom to guide you through American history as he traces the people as they saw themselves - as a predominantly religious society of many flavors living out their interpretation of the ...more
Kye Alfred Hillig
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First it must be said that Ahlstrom seems to leave no stone unturned within this all-inclusive history of religion in America. The amount of research and effort it must have taken to compile this work must have been enough to drive anyone mad. My struggle with this work is that it's far too academic for its own good. It's not an accessible work. And what's the point of writing an exclusively academic work for other academics who already know this shit? It's pointless. Why not make it more readab ...more
Brenton
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Although it's getting some age on it, this is the finest treatment of the history of religion in America that I've seen. A professor years ago told me it was one of the best church history text he'd ever discovered, and I couldn't agree more. It's the kind of book you read once and mark up on every page. Then you go back and read it again marking things you didn't mark the first time. I finally had to purchase a second copy. Don't be intimidated by its massive size. You can read it selectively.
Tim
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Ahlstrom was a professor at Yale and was teacher of my professor at Western Washington University (William Stoever - who wrote A Faire and Easie Way to Heaven). This book is fantastic, well-written, and riveting. I read it in college and have read it since.
Zach Hollifield
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Most likely the most in depth and yet comprehensive study of American Religion to date.
Tim Senter
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-the-shelf
Excellent catalogue of the history America's religious development. Good reference, well resourced.
Covenant Presbyterian Springfield Ohio
Call Number: 277 AHL

Available.
Chrisanne
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Comprehensive and intriguing... if you like the subject matter.
Sula
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Amazing: religious history that begins in 1492!
Sterling Fritz
One of the definitive works in this area. Well worth reading.
Benjamin
Mar 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Really ought to be called "A Christian History of the American People." The new version may address this issue, but I haven't read it. Otherwise very good.
Rick
At about 1100 pages, this book is loaded with information. I simply ran out of steam at about 400 pages, which only got me up to about the early nineteenth century.
Chris Comis
Very informative. Ahlstrom wasn't very orthodox, but he quotes Philip Schaff like an adoring little school boy, which makes the book much more readable than it would have been otherwise.
Steve
May 22, 2012
Rodney Farrell Sr
Oct 17, 2012
Celia Saumell
rated it did not like it
Jun 13, 2017
  • The Democratization of American Christianity
  • Fundamentalism and American Culture
  • America's God: From Jonathan Edwards to Abraham Lincoln
  • The Christian Tradition 1: The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition 100-600
  • The Christian World: A Global History (Modern Library Chronicles)
  • Slave Religion: The "Invisible Institution" in the Antebellum South
  • The Religious History of America: The Heart of the American Story from Colonial Times to Today
  • The European Reformations
  • Errand into the Wilderness
  • The Churching of America, 1776-1990: Winners and Losers in Our Religious Economy
  • Reformation Thought
  • Western Society and the Church in the Middle Ages (The Penguin History of the Church, #2)
  • Apostles of Reason: The Crisis of Authority in American Evangelicalism
  • American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us
  • When Time Shall Be No More: Prophecy Belief in Modern American Culture
  • A History of Israel
  • The Creationists: From Scientific Creationism to Intelligent Design
  • A Shopkeeper's Millennium: Society and Revivals in Rochester, New York, 1815-1837