Start by marking “Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?” as Want to Read:
Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?

Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?

(Bill Martin's Bears #3)

The author and illustrator team behind the classic Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? turn their extraordinary talents ot the theme of animal conservation.

Thirty-five years after their first groundbreaking collaboration, the creators of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? and Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? reunite to address the important topic of ani
Published August 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Jon
Sep 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hildy-books
Eric Carle cheapens what once was the great Bear franchise with this egregious piece of dung. After the lyrical, almost mystical revelation that was "Brown Bear, Brown Bear," let's hope this woeful follow-up is relegated to the ashheep of history and Carle is put to death for his heinous crime. Panda Bear, Panda Bear, you know what I see? I see a grotesque exploitation of little children and a soulless money-making machine that needs to be dismantled by anyone who cares about children's literatu ...more
Vivian
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There are lots of wiggle and stretch opportunities for children in this book, so in our story time we all stood up as we opened to the first page.

Panda sees a bald eagle (everyone flap wings, being careful not to bump any friends).
Eagle sees a water buffalo (everyone run in place, as if "charging").
Buffalo sees a spider monkey (everyone wave arms as if "swinging").
Monkey sees a green sea turtle (everyone paddle flippers).
Turtle sees a macaroni penguin (everyone strut in place--Charlie Chaplin st
Anna Harris
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this book with my Reception class during SEB as one of their core texts for the year, and the children were completely enthralled by it. The story is very repetitive, which was good for the children as they were able to join in with these parts of the story - it became really interactive for them. They also listened intently to the less repetitive parts to find out what each animal could see. This book worked really effectively as an educational text due to the wide range of vocabulary th ...more
Joy
Sep 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
I wish I could say I liked this book, but I rarely read it to my daughters because it is so complicated. It does not flow well at all compared to Brown Bear, Brown Bear. The names of the animals are very complicated so I think it is hard for my language-challenged daughters to follow. Also, the end is kind of preachy.
Jamie
Sep 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens, gus
This is Gus's favorite book in the world. I've grown to truly hate it.
Kat
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
Basic Plot: Animals in the wild.

This book was identical in structure to Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?, also by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle. Carle's colorful, distinct artwork accompanies a simple, repetitive question-response format that my little guy really loves. The only trick was getting him to say "see" instead of "hear" like he did in the other book. As before also, I wasn't terribly into it, but he was, and that's the important thing with these stories. To see him get invol
Landon Rotolo-Utz
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
While I don't think this book is as good as its predecessor I still think this book would be loved by children. It's use of repetition will have kids reading along and acting out the animals from the pages. The illustrations are quite beautiful and done in a style that children will find appealing.

In the classroom this would be great for early learners. I'd use this in a read aloud for kindergarteners or first graders. The use of animals will engage the students and could be a perfect opportuni
Aleha Begum
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Children learn about ten of the world's endangered animals and the animals is portrayed in eye catching collages and the book ends with a child sleeping dreaming that one day all animals will be wild and free. The children will chant the rhythmic words; make the sounds the animals make and role play the animals. Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle are brilliant in children's education and children's illustrations and this is a great book for children in KS1 and can be used in a creative way within th ...more
SaraLaLa
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book is similar to Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?, but a copy is never as good as the original. The writing doesn't roll off the tongue, but it's nice to see that some obscure/specific (for kids) animals are mentioned. For example: macaroni penguin (as opposed to just penguin) and whooping crane.

My husband HATES this book and refuses to read it to our daughter. She seems to be okay with hearing it, though. I don't care one way or another.
Sabrina Henry
This book is very much like "Brown Brown Bear What Do You See?". I liked the repetition which is easy for children to follow. I also liked the introduction of animals that are not very common. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the story line because it is very close to the original. The illustrations were awesome too.

Children usually like Eric Carle's creations, so I'll recommend one be in each classroom of young children as well as home.
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
We've been reading this book every single night for the past year. It's the first book that my daughter has memorized enough to read to us! It has helped tremendously with learning about animals that have longer names. Instead of just monkey, she now knows that there are different types of monkeys. We love explaining the different habitats of each animal. This book has been lots of fun to read together and has helped us learn our colors and learn about new animals.
Siobhan
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
A wonderful read from my childhood, one I’d certainly suggest for other youngsters. Whilst it is not my all-time favourite childhood read I can still recall all the details of this one meaning it certainly left a lasting impression upon my young mind.

And isn’t that what we want with children’s books, for them to leave a positive lasting impression?
Brittany Grant
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
My 18 month old likes this book even though I feel like it is Eric Carle selling out. Of course, endangered species are a great clause. But the original Brown Bear had such a rhythmical feel to it and this is tough. "Macaroni Pengiun, Macaroni Penguin What Do You Hear?" .... I mean, come on.
Kristen
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
My five year old son and I picked this book out as we had read a lot of Eric Carle books for his schoolwork.

While I enjoyed the fact that this reads like Brown Bear, Brown Bear (making it easy for my three year old to 'read'), I did not really like the inclusion of some odd animal choices - like a black panther. There is no such thing as a panther. It would be a leopard. Panthera is the genus for the big cat family of leopards, lions, tigers, and jaguars. (And yes, I know this is a children's b
Abby Hargreaves
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Look, I'll be honest, I don't understand the appeal of Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?. The rhythm is not one that I find entertaining, there's no rhyme scheme, and the illustrations are kind of drab in color. But the reality is, kids LOVE this book. I finally conceded and read it during storytime today and got a huge response. The trick will be pretending I'm enjoying it when I'm reading it (which is usually a prerequisite for storytime -- if the reader doesn't like the book, it's a no ...more
Melissa
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Eric Carle and Bill Martin Jr. are the perfect pair. This is the third book written in the what do you see model and is just as good as the others. A panda spies a bald eagle who spies a water buffalo who spies a spider monkey who spies another animal all the way to a sleeping child dreaming about these animals all wild and free.

This is a good book for introducing rhyme to children.

It is also a good book to introduce the issue of endangered animals as each animal in the book is on the endangered
Madeline Krasnasky
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed how this book introduces new animals to the reader. However, I did not like the flow and order of which animals came next in the sequences. The book didn't seem to have a rhyme or reason to what animal came next. As a kid I loved Eric Carle and still do to this day and recognize the similar illustrations to his other books. I liked that this book put all the animals on one page for the reader to review at the end. It seemed like a very easy read but mentions very interesting animals th ...more
Meredith
A succession of animals, ending with a dreaming child, are asked what they see.

This book introduces young readers to the concept of endangered species and features animals that are endangered.

The rhyming repetitive text allows small children to anticipate what will happen next and participate in the story, and the illustrations are Eric Carle in his classic collage style.
Jill
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In much the same fashion that Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See includes animals, this one also includes fun animals. This book does an amazing job of using verbs that also describe how the wild animals move. While the sister book uses different colors to describe the animals, these wild animals included in this book are fairly true to nature.

I liked this book both for it's repetition and illustrations. Bill Martin Jr and Eric Carle make a great team for young readers.
Israel Waltz
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Genre: poetry
Grades:Early primary

This is an okay book it has the same simple story line of all the other what do you see? books. The artistic style that Bill Martin Jr. is so unique that I can tell just by the cover it is his book. I think that when it comes to books like this they are best read to a class while having them do motions for the animals. I recommend this book.
Eva_Amaré
Feb 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: c, m
We loved Brown Bear, liked Polar Bear, but are not at all sold on Panda Bear. Endangered animals are great subject matter, but green sea turtle, green sea turtle doesn't quite roll off the tongue like red, bird, red, bird. Liked learning all the new animal names and pointing them out at the end.🐼🐧🐢🐃🐒
Jasmine Jacobs
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This was a fun read! This would be fun for younger grade levels. The book uses repetition and rhyming so even if kids do not know how to read, they could still participate. It is also a good tool for teaching the students about animals and what they look like.
Rosa Cline
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, kids, picture-book
This is a wonderfully written and illustrated simple rhyming storybook. Each page asks the animal 'what do you see' and they see the next animal in the story. Any age child can enjoy the text and illustrations of this story.
Elizabeth
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Amara
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Other than Eric Carle's beautiful illustrations, I see nothing of note here. The animals are difficult ones for a child to differentiate from another of their genus. There's also no color learning in this one.
Sara
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this. This is the same idea as "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?", but it's all endangered species. I love the art, the descriptors for each animal, and then the sleeping child at the end. I don't know - something about this book makes me feel good inside.
Scout Collins
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-for-kids

It was okay. Not as good as the original...
Olivia Ruth
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Olivia liked that there was some animals that she had seen at the zoo.
Juan Orejel
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good children book with different animals than the usuals.

My kid loved the macaroni penguin.
Dana Thomas
This is a poor follow up to Brown Bear. It's just doesn't flow like children's books tend to. There are other books of his I would rather read first over this one.
PANDAS ARE FUCKING INFERIOR AND SOULD DIE 1 3 Oct 01, 2016 10:53AM
Ashland 566 Autum...: Picture Book 42 1 1 Nov 18, 2012 05:25AM
  • From Head to Toe
  • A Color of His Own
  • If You Give a Pig a Party
  • Touch & Feel: FARM
  • Giggle, Giggle, Quack
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • Llama Llama Misses Mama
  • Mouse Paint
  • The Hat
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more

Bill Martin's Bears (4 books)
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?