Jump to ratings and reviews
Few modern figures in the Reformed tradition are as widely influential as Abraham Kuyper, whose views on theology, politics, and Christian culture are renowned. His writings on worship, however, are not as well known. This new English translation of Onze Eredienst fills that gap, offering Kuyper’s clearest thinking on worship and liturgy. Though written nearly a hundred years ago, his perspectives on worship are amazingly relevant to our time. / In a substantive introduction Harry Boonstra outlines Kuyper's life and the historical context in which he wrote. Adding even more luster to the volume are concluding essays by John Bolt, Bryan Spinks, Geoffrey Wainwright, and Nicholas Wolterstorff.

411 pages, Paperback

First published December 15, 2008

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Abraham Kuyper

226 books84 followers
Abraham Kuyper was a Dutch politician, journalist, statesman and theologian. He founded the Anti-Revolutionary Party and was prime minister of the Netherlands between 1901 and 1905.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews
Profile Image for Sean Higgins.
Author 3 books19 followers
December 27, 2011
I read this at the recommendation of Doug Wilson and I'm really glad I followed his counsel.

There is much in Our Worship that a more rigorous edit would benefit. Yet, at its core, it is an essential push toward thoughtful liturgy for the "assembly of believers."

In some ways I'm ashamed to have graduated from Bible college and seminary, not to mention having helped to lead congregational worship for some years, without having worked through more of the liturgical issues Kuyper raises.
Profile Image for David Robertson.
90 reviews
December 23, 2012
I very much enjoyed reading this. Although a bit out of date and of course very Dutch - I found it stimulating and thought provoking. In particular the emphasis on the church service as being the assembly of the Lords people, coming collectively into the presence of God. For example this from p.15 "We cannot reiterate too ofte: true religion is to have fellowship with the living God. That fellowship is richly enjoyed together 'with all the saints.' And the goal of all worship services must be to let the assembled congregation taste that fellowship with their God."

Profile Image for Douglas Wilson.
Author 237 books3,403 followers
April 18, 2011
This was well worthwhile. What a read. While some of the abuses in worship that Kuyper was responding to are not with us today, thankfully, the principles he lays down are really important. From liturgy to church architecture, Kuyper hits it all.
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.