Start by marking “A Long Way from Disney” as Want to Read:
A Long Way from Disney

A Long Way from Disney

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
These stories introduce Adam Berkman, a young man growing up in a world far removed from the depictions of American families he sees on television and in the movies. Like Boston to Orlando, Adam finds that his life is indeed a long way from Disney.

Tender, haunting and astutely observed, this novel-in-stories follows Adam Berkman as he comes of age in racially charged 1980s
Published December 27th 2009 by SethHarwood.com (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Long Way from Disney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Long Way from Disney

BigJohn
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
I feel that short stories are a lot harder to write than novels. I don't have a lot of experience in either, but what I see is this: A short story is more of a risk, as it foregoes a lot of deep character history that is sometimes crucial to a long form story. Often times, a short story has very little in terms of background; the reader is plopped right into the middle of a situation for which they must interpolate much more than they normally would.

The best short stories (in my opinion) are sho
claire tuck
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Captivating read

This is the first book I have read in a while that I have been unable to put down. The author draws you in and makes you want to continue reading, descriptions allow you to feel the emotions whilst reading. So good I finished the same day I started.
Jerry
May 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: general-fiction
This book has been mentioned with significant praise in a number the kindle forums I visit. Based on the 5-star rating and the low price, I was looking forward to some good reading value for my dollar. But I was disappointed. The book started out strong, and the first couple chapters describing the plight of young Adam and his family held me at attention. But it went downhill from there. The stories quickly descend into a preoccupation with sex and drug use. Personally, I'm not interested in rea ...more
Jason
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great bunch of interlocking stories, some happy, some somber, quite the smorgasbord of feelings. I found them to have a coming-of-age feel and they seemed almost autobiographical in their realism. If you're looking for action, this might not be the book for you. However, if you're looking for powerful writing that pulls you in and evokes an emotional response, give it a shot. And as always, the narration by Seth Harwood is excellent and makes listening a real pleasure.
Mark
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A long way from Disney is unlike Seth's Jack Palms Crime series, it is a slice of short stories from 1980's New England.

Now I grew up in the 1980's a similar age to Adam, and I really found the writing spoke to me.

I loved this collection of stories as a podcast, I have them on my iPhone and when I got my Kindle for Christmas this was the first book I purchased. 5 stars are not enough
Carla JFCL
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this dysfunctional-family tale, set in the 1980s and written by a grad of the Iowa Writers Workshop. I heard the author interviewed on Len Edgerly's Kindle Chronicles podcast and that got me interested in the book. I will probably read more of his now.
Sam Bradley
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very different from what Seth usually writes, but a very compelling story!
Mark
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Seth can tell a story, whether it's his crime novels, or short stories as contained here. Many of these shorts were first published in prominent lit mags, indicative of their quality. Cheers.
Sonja
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
was different but good
Steve
Aug 22, 2012
Carl
Oct 17, 2017
Charity
rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2013
Jul 30, 2009
Shawn
Dec 11, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Seth Harwood received an MFA in fiction from the Iowa Writers’ Workshop and went on to build a large readership for his first novel, JACK WAKES UP, by serializing it as a free audiobook online. Currently audio versions of Harwood’s novels and stories have been downloaded over one million times.

He is the author of four additional novels, EVERYONE PAYS, IN BROAD DAYLIGHT, THIS IS LIFE and YOUNG JUNI
More about Seth Harwood...