Start by marking “The Boys and the Bees” as Want to Read:
The Boys and the Bees

The Boys and the Bees

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
James loves Andy but Andy loves Mark, a situation complicated further by the fact that this love triangle unfolds secretly in sixth-grade Catholic School. No one at Saint Marks is aware that Andy, a budding comic book writer, is obsessed with Mark, the captain of the school's basketball team. To Andy, falling in love with a straight boy seems as hopeless as his own unlikel ...more
Published December 21st 2005 by Carroll & Graf (first published December 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Boys and the Bees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boys and the Bees

Stephen
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a quick and engaging read about an imaginative but somewhat clueless 11 year old who's going to catholic school and crushing on the hottest guy in his class.

The story is all told from his point of view and he's a charmer - when he's not being an insufferable kid. Kids this age can be barbarians, and the damage that he inflicts on his "nellie" best friend makes me want to strangle the kid. But the story turns out OK, and there is some karmic payback so I'll forgive him.

Not sure what aud
Isabelle Sanchez
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Boys and the bees is a book about kids going to sixth grade. Even tough I am going to eighth grade, this book reminded me of sixth grade and how tough sixth grade really is. It reminded me of my first day of sixth grade, where you had to be cool. I remembered that I had to be super nice because I wanted to make friends.This book is basically know as " the birds and the bees" with the characters in the book. It could be know like that because later on in the book I realized that this book had ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Mechele R. Dillard for TeensReadToo.com

Andy knows he is gay, but he cannot admit it, lest he condemn himself to life as a "faggot," making life at his Catholic school unbearable. "Please, God," he begs, "don't make me be a faggot. Fix me" (p. 20).

Babcock follows the trials and tribulations of three young gay boys--Andy, James, and Mark--as seen through the eyes of Andy. The confusion that the boys feel, the pressure to conform, and the fear of being labeled a "faggot" for life, all
Craig
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
So far I've only read coming out stories in which the characters have been in their late teens and this one kind of threw me off because they haven't even reached their teen years yet.

I've been able to relate to the characters in the other books as they reflected much of what I had thought and felt at that age. I'm not sure if it's the difference between being 11 or 12 years old back in the 70's or that I lived in such a rural community, but I couldn't connect with this book.

Andy is only 11 at t
Jon O
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay
I won't give this book a low rating just because I thought Andy, the main character, was irritating. Trust me, Andy was irritating in the book. And bad. Not horribly bad, but self-centered, delusional and self-deceiving. Irritating.

Then again, why we not someone like Andy when we were young, trying to keep secret that put so much fear in us that we would hope something this dark (secret) would be someone's problem and not ours? Didn't we wish we could have all - popularity, good-looking guy as o
Kimoya Reads
This was an exceptional read, my emotions were spiraling with this one. I was upset with the way Andy was treating James and putting the bullies before him all because he didn't want to be called that word. But further to the end I realized he's a kid and they do behave the way Andy does. Also the ending didn't really surprise me as I've known from the middle that Mark had a secret. He handle the situation well other than Andy who was really immature about it. Anyway, the book was great.
Duane
Sep 27, 2008 rated it liked it
The author does a splendid job of portraying the life of a gay 12 year old who not only doesn't understand himself, but everyone else in his world. He loves his best friend, yet doesn't want to be seen with him in public. He worships the most popular guy in his class yet doesn't have the courage to approach him. Soon Andy learns that life is full of surprises and what you want and get can be two very different things. A nice read. Filled with cussing so be warned.
Melody
Sep 12, 2007 rated it liked it
6th graders are meaner'n hell, especially if you're a boy who acts gay, or worse, is gay. My 6th grade son read this and pronounced it profane but true-to-life. I found it to be skin-crawlingly uncomfortable to read. I worried about the boys in the book, and wondered why they had to act like such idiots. It's believable and immediate and gripping.
Steve
Mar 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
After reading this book I needed a hot shower to feel clean. Talk about unlikeable characters! The protagonist never seems like a realistic twelve yr old but a few years older. Maybe I wanted him to be older because then his sexual adventures (he's a predator) would be less skeevy.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Stephen
Genre: M/M Young Adult
Rated: 4 hearts

Check out the review at: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Anthony
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one setting. Literally could not put it down.
Alex Ruffin