Start by marking “Growing Up in the South: An Anthology of Modern Southern Literature” as Want to Read:
Growing Up in the South: An Anthology of Modern Southern Literature

Growing Up in the South: An Anthology of Modern Southern Literature

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Something about the South has inspired the imaginations of an extraordinary number of America's best storytellers - and greatest writers. That quality may be a rich, unequivocal sense of place, a living connection with the past, or the contradictions and passions that endow this region with awesome tragedy. The stories in this superb collection of modern Southern writing a ...more
Published June 1st 1991 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Growing Up in the South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Up in the South

Lindsay
Dec 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lindsay by: Ron Fowler
I decided a few months ago that it's about time I boned up on my southern authors. I mentioned this to a friend a few weeks ago and he loaned me this book from his college days. Most of the stories were very interesting - the only one I truly felt was a waste of my time was "The Man Who Was Almost a Man." The three that I enjoyed the most were "Fast Love," "The Old Forest," and "Old Mortality." As a matter of fact, I'm going to change my rating from 3 stars to 4 based soley on the merits of thos ...more
Sue
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
I have to admit - I only read half of this book. These were just excerpts from books written by these authors - maybe a chapter or just a story - not even short stories. But even so, I found myself longing to pick up a book with a story I could sink into. It's what I enjoy about reading - losing myself in a good story. These little snatches here and there just didn't hold my interest. I noticed that my daughter-in-law, who gave me the book, quit about halfway through, as well.
Joe Paulk
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read
This is a truly fantastic anthology with much that a Southerner can relate to. It's so good that I may even force my cute wife to read it. Here is where I first ran into the writings of Eudora Welty among others. Give it a try and if you're not a Southerner, read it to find out what makes us what we are. I promise that it's more than truck pulls and beer.
Pamela
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The best of both worlds. Southern writers and short stories. If you have not read any short stories lately or think you don't like them, give this a go.
Tim Bounds