Start by marking “Why Dirt Is Good: 5 Ways to Make Germs Your Friends” as Want to Read:
Why Dirt Is Good: 5 Ways to Make Germs Your Friends

Why Dirt Is Good: 5 Ways to Make Germs Your Friends

""The archetypal link between dirt and guilt, and cleanliness and innocence is built into our language,"" says journalist Katherine Ashenburg. But Dr. Mary Ruebush counters that with the fact that Western civilization's obsession with antibacterial soaps and our quest to be clean all the time is actually making us sick. Why Dirt is Good is a fun look at the plus side of di ...more
Published January 6th 2009 by Kaplan Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Why Dirt Is Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Dirt Is Good

Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jennifer by: Cleber
Shelves: 2010
I've read plenty of scientific books that are both educational and delightful to read. This one wasn't. The writing came across as condescending and shrill. I rolled my eyes at each "mother nature" use (three times in one paragraph? Really?), and began to say "no, *you* do that!" at every use of a we or you pronoun.
I'm a fan of outdoors, dirt, handwashing, environmentally friendly products, and not using antibiotics unless really needed. I was before reading this book. I'm glad the message is g
MaryAnn
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Scanned this book last night--but somewhat of a disappointment. Although the author appears to be a professional in her field of microbiology and immunology, there were no studies cited nor statistics given to prove her point: that dirt is good, and a little dirt as you are growing up will enhance, strengthen and develop a healthy immune system. I don't disagree with her basic premise, but I'd like to see some evidence!
Bob
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good to know my Grandma Liz was right all those years ago. Neat thing is/was she didn't need a bunch of degrees and Doctorates in order to live the truth. we needs us a renasainse (sp) us country folk don't spell to good... mmmmmmkay. git me some of Dem french friend potaters...
Paul
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great title and an important topic that needs to heard more. We live in community with all the natural things around us and in us, we need to respect that more if we are to survive as a species.
Jane
Jan 28, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: Claire, Matt, Christine
Recommended to Jane by: Christine
Claire, you could have written this book, and I bet it would have been funnier! Matt, if you want an intro to Immunology (T cells and the like) read the first part. Christine told me about it.
Now, Claire and Christine, I still have a question. If *I* avoid the antibacterial soaps and the like, can I still get a "super bug"? There is one I hadn't heard of VRSA, worse than MRSA apparently.
Catherine
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
A great explanation of why we need germs and why living in an antiseptic environment is destroying our immune systems. The chapter about allergies was especially enlightening. I feel vindicated for not investing in cart covers, antibacterial soap and all the other germophobic products marketed to parents. I passed this one onto my mom!
Matthew
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I recommend this book to anyone concerned with their personal health or public health in general. however, I would consider it mandatory reading for every parent. Ruebush's point that super-cleanliness leads to super-germs must become part of the general consciousness.
Kelly
Apr 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Germs are now my friends. Except the bacteria that produce botulism toxin. Not cool.
lysa
May 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
I recommend this book to all my mommy friends. Especially those with young ones! It's easy to understand and very detailed about how the immune systems develops.
Andres Sobrado