Start by marking “Hello Baby!” as Want to Read:

Hello Baby!

After meeting a bevy of baby animals— including a clever monkey, a sleepy leopard, and a dusty lion cub—the baby in this story discovers the most precious creature of all . . . itself, of course! With an exuberant rhyming text by bestselling author Mem Fox and adorable cut-paper illustrations by Caldecott Honor recipient Steve Jenkins, this book is an irresistible celebrat ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Beach Lane Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hello Baby!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello Baby!

Tasha
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Take two amazing children’s book creators and put them together and you get a treat like this book. The book starts with a simple question, “Hello, baby! Who are you?” It moves from one animal guess to the next with each animal doing an action that children will love to imitate. Fox has created a joyous bouncing verse that romps from one animal to the next with great merriment. Paired with the amazing paperwork art of Jenkins, the book is taken to another level.

As I read this book, my mind imme
Heidi-Marie
A good possibility for a toddler storytime. Except for the ending. It doesn't work for me, so when I read the book, I'm ending after the zebra.

4/13/10 & 4/15/10 The book worked pretty well for pointing out our body parts (noses, teeth, eyes) that corresponded with the animals. Even the dusty paws didn't throw them--they knew it was their hands. Some kids even did growly sounds with clawed paws. And I ended after zebra, which worked perfectly.
Jenny
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love Mem Fox. I love, love Steve Jenkins. So how could I not love this cute rhyming book from this pair? The simple rhymes illustrate the many types of baby you might be...

Are you an eagle, exploring the skies?
Perhaps you're a gecko with rolling eyes.

And the illustrations are amazing, just as Steve Jenkins illustrations always are.

My 5 year old liked this book quite a bit, and I am sure it would be an even bigger hit with babies and toddlers.
Julie
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lovely simple rhymes, comparing baby animals to the human baby that this mother is talking to. Endearing with gorgeous illustrations.
Karen
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is full of all kinds of different babies -- what's not to love?
K
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This board book immediately engages the reader with gentle questions, pithy rhyme, and intigruing illustrations. It's a keeper.

To reach the widest possible audience, I would challenge the author and ask, why is the owl's wink 'wicked?' Why not 'watchful' or a word with less charge to it than 'wicked?' How could the final scene be relevant to children of all colors?
Tracey
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
baby/toddler picture book
Large appealing pictures and sparse text with some more unusual vocabulary make a great read-to-me book. This would work be perfect for a baby/toddler storytime, but I feel just a bit awkward saying the "are you my treasure?" part to a roomful of kids and their parents--probably would work fine, though.
Madeline Masluk
This book is a good way for children to learn about different animals and species. I would recommend this book to children who want to learn about different species in school. It is also an easy read for children who are starting to read.
Renee
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's SUCH a beautiful little book for babies as little kids. My 22 month old loves the illustrations, and always picks this book up - over and over and over; just to point to the animals, and now he's started nodding along to the beautiful verse.
Samantha Glasser
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
My year-old son enjoyed flipping through this board book over and over looking at the pictures of the various animals. The art is done in a cut-and-paste style so each animal appears to have texture against a blank white background.
Kristin
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of bright collage illustrations, gentle rhymes, animal actions that beg imitation, and the sweetest ending which ends in my 2 year old hugging me and beaming at me, every time we read this book together.
Ang
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this at Babytime.

"Clever monkey babies, dusty lion babies, sleepy leopard babies - the world is filled with beautiful babies. But which one is the most treasured baby of all?" - inside left jacket flap
Noémi
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first book that my son has asked me to read to him over and over again (and how curious that he wants to hear it in English!). But it is not the only reason I love this little book, but also because it’s a real delight! Lovely rhymes and beautiful illustrations.
Maxwell Rae
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bouncing-babies
Introduces various baby animals. Very easy to incorporate actions, and the perfect amount of text.
Heather Jo
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lily-list
Katherine
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 20-month-Old grandson loves this charming book.
Miss Sarah
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A simple baby and up book about a narrator asking a baby if they have certain animal traits.
Colorado Buck
cute for acting out what that animal is doing. lots of animals in here. wordage is weird, but could make it fun in storytime with acting out the actions.
Mely
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
heartwarming little book. Love the animal variety.
Gwen Marie
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: babies
Story has fun pictures and interactive call/response style. Thoughtful descriptions for each animal provide details teach readers about the animals. Nice length for baby storytime.
Oanh
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Baby high fives the baby at the end. She's my treasure, after all. High Five!
Denise
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cute story appropriate for little ones. I read it to Kohen.
Alice
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
First off, I love the pictures..and I am disciple of Steve Jenkins so it is clear why I like them. The story is a sweet and includes animals so it is fun for everyone! Very nicely done!
Lucía Díaz
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hello, Baby! first asks: "Hello, Baby! Who are you?"(N.P) and then begins to list animals that the baby could possibly be. The book uses rhyming and cut-paper illustrations to teach children different types of animals while creating a bonding experience between the parent and baby.

I gave this book four stars because although I enjoyed the detailed animal illustrations and rhyming, the second to last spread didn't live up to my expectations in comparison to the rest of the book. It wasn't very de
Meghan Douglas
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
We've had "Hello Baby!" on loan from the library for less than a week and it's already become a go to favourite for my 15 month old son.

The simple white background highlights Steve Jenkins' beautiful, bright illustrations. The inclusion of a silhouette for each animal seems to particularly please my son, who delights in identifying the eagle ("bird!").

While most of the rhymes throughout the story are well considered, the ending is a little awkward to read for anyone who does 't make use of the
Mary Ann
May 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Mem Fox is truly one of my favorite authors for young children. She has such a gift of language, creating beautiful rhymes that carry you along, but keeping it simple enough to capture a young child's imagination. With her newest book, Hello Baby!, she has teamed with the imaginative artist Steve Jenkins to create a vibrant, engaging book for young children (ages 2 - 4).

"Hello, baby! Who are you?" begins this book, with a picture of a baby's hand and a monkey's tail, enticing you to turn the pag
Author Groupie
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddos-favorites
Mem Fox's Hello Baby! offers a simple, yet effective first look at animals through colorful illustrations set against a clean, white backdrop. Direct questions to the reader are followed by rhyming responses on adjacent pages. Without a doubt, the cadence of this story engages the young reader.
Initially, the zoo comes to mind as a means of experiencing this children's book. However, with 91 degree weather looming outside, Momma decides to come up with a cool plan B. Thus, The Painted Zebra, an
Amy Forrester
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What kind of baby are you? Are you a monkey baby with clever toes or a hippo baby with yawning jaws? An elephant? A warthog? Maybe a zebra? A lion? Finally, the book asks,

“Then who are you, baby?
Wait, let me guess –
Are you my treasure?
The answer is…Yes!”

Simple, but descriptive questions comprise the text of this large, square book. The text and illustrations are set off against a pure white background, making it easier for babies and toddlers to focus. Jenkins’ signature paper collage illustrat
Raina
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, e
Mem Fox and Steve Jenkins make a lovely team. Fox’s simple language text blends exceedingly well with Jenkin’s clean paper-collage illustrations. Here, they introduce a new animal baby on each page. Most of the animals live in savanna or jungle settings and it’s mesmerizing to examine each animal’s layers of intricately cut paper elements. The only weakness here is the second to last page. The text here is “Then who are you baby?/Wait, let me guess--/Are you my treasure?/The answer is...” The pi ...more
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Peekaboo Morning
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Early Bird
  • A Book of Babies
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Lots of Dots
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Jump!
  • Tiny Little Fly
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in th