Start by marking “Lexicon Urthus: A Dictionary for the Urth Cycle” as Want to Read:
Lexicon Urthus: A Dictionary for the Urth Cycle

Lexicon Urthus: A Dictionary for the Urth Cycle

Lexicon Urthus is an alphabetical dictionary for the complete Urth Cycle by Gene Wolfe: The Shadow of the Torturer; The Claw of the Conciliator; The Sword of the Lictor; The Citadel of the Autarch; the sequel Urth of the New Sun; the novella Empires of Foliage and Flower; the short stories "The Cat," "The Map," and "The Old Woman Whose Rolling Pin Is the Sun"; and Gene Wol ...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Sirius Fiction (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Lexicon Urthus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lexicon Urthus

Paul
In a sense it's hard to believe that a reference work could be 5/5 stars, but the Lexicon functions almost as a companion novel to the Urth cycle and uncovers so much depth that it needs to be treated as a sixth entry in the series. Not only did Andre-Driussi track down every OED entry used by Wolfe, he pieces together many of the maddening and confusing bits of Wolfe's plotting/concepts into a coherent whole, retroactively improving the Urth novels themselves, in a curious way.

Ultimately Wolfe
Terry
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an excellent, and I would even say necessary, resource for anyone approaching Gene Wolfe’s New Sun series. That being said I would strongly caution the first-time reader from using it as anything more than a dictionary for obscure words (of which there are a plethora in the series) as many of Andre-Driussi’s more fulsome entries (especially on characters and places) head deep into spoiler territory that would ruin many of the surprises on an initial read and what would a Gene Wolfe book ...more
Dtyler99
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For those of you who are about to tackle Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun (including the coda, The Urth of the New Sun), Michael Andre-Driussi's Lexicon Urthus is a highly recommended companion resource.

And why is that? Wolfe, in an effort to be faithful to the series' setting so far in the future of Earth that our history has been long forgotten, employs arcane words to describe people, objects, places and concepts, thus lending them an "otherness" that adds to and supports setting. But beware:
Christopher
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LEXICON URTHUS is a dictionary prepared by Michael Andre-Driussi of the unusual words and names used by Gene Wolfe in his four-volume masterpiece The Book of the New Sun (and its coda THE URTH OF THE NEW SUN). Originally published in 1994, it swiftly went out of print and used copies went for high prices. The publication of its second edition is to be heralded.

Those who have read Wolfe's work know that he usually allows many of his archaic terms to be defined for the reader through context, but
Matthew
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gene Wolfe elevates the sensations of wonder, mystery, and discovery that we associate with science fiction into the realms of aesthetic and religious awe. He reaches back in time to take hold of the the thread of myth, traces this thread through the weave of history and literature, draws it forward into the unimaginable future, and then he ties the two ends together in an infinite loop.

I am profoundly grateful for Lexicon Urthus, a book that is clearly a product of extraordinary time and effort
Robert Defrank
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit, I couldn't get through Gene Wolfe's New Sun books the first time I tried. Now on my second attempt, I'm keeping this volume close at hand (figuratively speaking, since it's in digital format).

On the positive side, it's got a lot of invaluable background stuff such as definitions of obscure words, historical context and connotations of names, and explanations of the themes of the book. On the negative side, the digital version was the cheapest I could find and I would have preferred a ph
Andreas
Sep 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Gene Wolfe
This is the second edition of the Lexicon Urthus and contains new entries as well as all corrections. The first edition from 1994 sold out quickly.

This is an amazing book and the result of careful study of the Book of the New Sun (available for instance in the two omnibus editions Shadow and Claw and Sword and Citadel). I guess it's possible to figure out many of these things on his own, but if you do not have the time or the resources to check the various references, this book is for you. Afte
James Balasalle
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Almost required reading for the Urth Cycle. I used this when re-reading Shadow & Claw, and it upped the enjoyment factor by several orders of magnitude. Highly recommended.
Lisandro Nieva
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A large and detailled glossary of terms, characters and concepts of the Urth Cycle. Inspiring, but I wished for more theories and possible explanations. TV Tropes and GoT forums may have been spoiled me.
Patrick
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super helpful, but only if you've read / are reading Gene Wolfe's magnum opus The Book of the New Sun.
Bill
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-pop, myscifi
So, a book that serves as a guide to some trilogy or series always seems like a dicey concept. I have to say, though that they've been great reads in a couple cases (Dune Encyclopedia, Lexicon Urthus) -- a couple now that I've gotten a hold of this book. Lexicon Urthus does exactly what you need it to do, reading Wolfe's sprawling trilogy-- explain the concepts, the language, and their references.I don't become obsessive about the setting of every series I like, but if for whatever reason you re ...more
Aaron Singleton
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gene-wolfe, sf
While this book is a reference volume concerned with Gene Wolfe's tetralogy The Book of the New Sun, it's damn near as entertaining as the books it references. Andre-Driussi has done an admirable job compiling and researching the details of Wolfe's masterpiece. It contains detailed definitions for the many archaic and unusual words used in the New Sun books as well as maps, character sketches, character and place name origins, and much more. Just opening this book to a random page recreates the ...more
Steve
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I originally read Wolfe's Book of the New Sun tetralogy in the mid eighties, shortly after they were written. I treated myself to re-reading them in early 2009, and was just as agog at how good they were now as I was over twenty years ago. In re-reading them now, the Lexicon Urthus has been an invaluable companion that only deepens the experience
Matt
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great dictionary for the Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe; don't read it if you don't want a lot of the more subtle things in that great series spoiled for you!
Michael
Aug 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collector's item, meaningful only to fanatical readers of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. For those readers, it's an amazing resource.
Adam Morgan
Mar 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, nonfic
Must-have for Gene Wolfe fans. Just don't spoil yourself.
Vasa Curcin
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Meticulous dissection of Wolfe's Book of the New Sun that doubles up as the dictionary of numerous archaic and obscure terms that Wolfe employs. Essential reading for any Wolfe fan.
Mark Teppo
A must if you hope to catch all of Wolfe's clever symbolism.
Ryan Anderson