Start by marking “A Message to Garcia: And Other Classic Success Writings” as Want to Read:
A Message to Garcia: And Other Classic Success Writings

A Message to Garcia: And Other Classic Success Writings

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
This tale of a soldier’s self-reliance during the Spanish American War is history’s greatest motivational lesson, now collected with Elbert Hubbard’s most treasured inspirational works.

A Message to Garcia touched so profound a chord in readers that, after its publication in 1899, it became one of the most widely read works in human history. A Message to Garcia tells the st
Published December 26th 2008 by TarcherPerigee (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about A Message to Garcia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Message to Garcia

Michelle
This motivational classic was written one winter night in 1899. A Message to Garcia is a pithy volume of only 17 pages. Written in just one hour it is chock full of pearls of wisdom. It centers on the real life story of Major Andrew S. Rowan who traveled the harsh terrain across the island of Cuba to meet with rebel force leader General Calixto Garcia. In doing so he infiltrated enemy lines and secured information that led to the success of the United States Army during the Spanish American War. ...more
Robert Miller
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Makes complete sense, more businesses need to heed this wisdom.
Joseph Raborg
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Inspiring

This is a very inspiring book. It offers some great advice for how to succeed in the working world: perseverance, patience, hope, hard work, and no grumbling. It encourages one to live to the fullest.

I might have a few quibbles about some of the ideas and the overenthusiasm, but the book is quite useful.
Quartknee
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still an inspiring read. I wish more young people could take this message to heart.
Christopher Kosel
A poweful message on the work ethic. A true classic that should be required reading for our youth.
Beth
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Was asked to read this for work and pretty much hated every minute of it. The only reason I didn't give it a single star is because the author offered a kind of interesting look at the importance of being a "cog in the machine" during the Industrial Revolution. Still, the chapter that compares a good woman to a loaf of brown bread (over and over again) was really just too much for me. I actually wrote the words "bite me" in the margin -- probably not the type of high-level analysis my boss was l ...more
Noor Azzony
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
an inspiring quick read!
this book which is small in size but huge in content, sheds the light on the false beleifs that we have about ourselves and about life... alhough it was written in the 1800s, most of the messages that are in it still hold true!
it is a book that breaks the boundaries that we create around ourselves. the messages in the essays of the book are found between the lines... these messages, once found, are priceless!
worth the read!
Puneet Kapoor
First of all it is incorrect to call this a book. At best this is an essay.
Secondly, in today's age it may sound like a collection of homilies, what with the routine pseudo-psycho babble given off by the Whatsapp gurus, this essay read in the context of its time is exceptional. A summary of what is expected of a person in his work environment. Not entirely a game changer but a ready reckoner of value guidance at hand.
Mayte Sandrin
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully inspirational.

A great little book about how to win in life. Always be willing. Always be cheerful. Always be dutiful. If I ever get tempted to whine or give up, I will go back to this treasure of a book and quickly change my outlook. Loved it. Time very well spent.
David Carus
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional and Awesome

A true classic and something everyone should read regardless of their profession, businessman or not. People should work, do, contribute and show initiative and this book lays it out plainly why. Worth reading again and again.
Elbert Green Hubbard was an American writer, publisher, artist, and philosopher. He was an influential exponent of the Arts and Crafts movement and is, perhaps, most famous for his essay A Message to Garcia.

Also known as Fra Elbert Green, for the magazine he edited, Fra.

from http://freepages.history.rootsweb.anc...

For a more detailed look at this life, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbert_H...
More about Elbert Hubbard...
“A PRAYER   The supreme prayer of my heart is not to be learned, rich, famous, powerful, or “good,” but simply to be radiant. I desire to radiate health, cheerfulness, calm courage and good will. I wish to live without hate, whim, jealousy, envy, fear. I wish to be simple, honest, frank, natural, clean in mind and clean in body, unaffected—ready to say “I do not know,” if it be so, and to meet all men on an absolute equality—to face any obstacle and meet every difficulty unabashed and unafraid. I wish others to live their lives, too—up to their highest, fullest and best. To that end I pray that I may never meddle, interfere, dictate, give advice that is not wanted, or assist when my services are not needed. If I can help people, I’ll do it by giving them a chance to help themselves; and if I can uplift or inspire, let it be by example, inference, and suggestion, rather than by injunction and dictation.” 9 likes
“Sunday, with its immunity from work, was devised for slaves who got out of all the work they could during the week.” 4 likes