Start by marking “Maria Madalena e o Santo Graal - a mulher do vaso de alabastro” as Want to Read:
Maria Madalena e o Santo Graal - a mulher do vaso de alabastro

Maria Madalena e o Santo Graal - a mulher do vaso de alabastro

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,457 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Esta narrativa fascinante e corajosa lança um novo olhar sobre o verdadeiro significado do Santo Graal e o anti-feminino da Igreja primitiva, e revela-nos coisas chocantes que podem mudar o modo como vemos o Cristianismo desde as suas origens.
Published October 2004 by Quetzal Editores (first published June 1st 1993)

Be the first to ask a question about Maria Madalena e o Santo Graal - a mulher do vaso de alabastro

Michel
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, eleole
"I cannot prove that Jesus was married or that Mary Magdelen was the mother of His child... but I can verify that these are tenets of a heresy widely believed in the Middle Ages; that fossils of that heresy can be found in numerous works of art and litterature, that it was virulently attacked by... the Church of Rome; and that it survived in spite of relentless persecution." And, one might add, doctoring of the texts.
As the Rev. Father Sweeney says in his preface, "Until the Church can offer rea
Stacy
Apr 13, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: conspiracy theorists
Recommended to Stacy by: Kathy
The first few chapters, where the author is laying out an alternative reading of the Bible's Mary Magdalen, are intriguing. The Bible is so vague and open to interpretation, it's interesting to hear Starbird's ideas.

The later chapters, where Starbird presents "evidence" for a cover-up of the importance of Mary Magdalen and Jesus' descendant(s) are intended to be scholarly but come across as laughable. Watermarks, tarot cards, unicorn tapestries... these are her proof. Each symbol is interpreted
Siobhann
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so fun to read because it was all about--what if Jesus got married to Mary Magdalen and had a daughter? In writing this, Margaret Starbird said that she couldn't prove that this was true--only that many people in the middle ages believed this was true. She talks about how this "heresy" was stamped out by the Church, but how its story survived in disguise, through symbols in art, literature, and music. It's everything I'm interested in: ancient history, theology, symbols, and art hi ...more
Liz
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
To me, the most important thing this book has to say is that “orthodox” faith is what the powers-that-be of the time decided it should be. Was Mary Magdalen the wife of Jesus, and did she bear his child? Margaret Starbird thinks so, and that she and her daughter were spirited away after the crucifixion, first to Egypt, and then to Provence, in the south of France, for safekeeping. I read an interesting review on Goodreads that said, in reference to Starbird’s scholarship: “Halfway through the bo ...more
Anna
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am an avid researcher of the Jesus conspiracy so of course I loved this book. Worth reading if you are intersted in something other than what the Bible told you and want to keep an open mind.
TailFeather
Aug 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First, let me say I very rarely write a negative review of anything unless I feel it's subject matter is not what it is purported to be. I'd just gotten done with "The Da Vinci Code" and this book seemed so highly recommended in reviews here on its factual, historical content. Or maybe I misunderstood. Because halfway through I had to stop reading it.

I thought it was going to be about Mary Magdalen-from her birth to her death, including her time with Jesus. Maybe eventually it ends up being abo
Murray
Apr 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was well before the curve of the Mary Magdalen books that have come out in the last 10 years, and still one of the very best. That the church suppressed the truth (or mythology) surrounding this enigmatic friend of Jesus is well documented in this book. The unluckiness of the number 13 and the making the mark X (the St Andrew cross which apparently was the glyph that represented Mary) a sign representing 'wrong', were all part of the method of undermining those with a Marist interest.
A good read
Nicole Blais
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It turned what I thought I knew about the Christian story on its head! I've been questioning even more ever since.
Manuel Barrera
A curious book supporting feminism from a spiritual framework. Starbird provides historical descriptions based on other readings of the likelihood of Jesus Christ's wife Mary Magdalen and societies, especially of Provence, France, that emerged in connection with the "sacred feminine" culture surrounding the Merovingian kings and queens (e.g. Eleanor of Aquitaine). The auther uses historical records such as the lost/banned scriptures of "heretic" gospels and interprets the proliferation of many f ...more
Lisse
Apr 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that when I read "The Gospel of Mary Magdalen" that I was looking for more of what I found in this book. I feel Margaret Starbird does a good job at the beginning of her book of showing the possibilities of what could have been and how the relationship between Mary Magdalen and Jesus could have been misinterpreted in the bible. I have been slightly bitter about the fact that I grew up believing Mary to be a prostitute b/c that is waht my Sunday school teachers taught me, only to find out ...more
Kristi
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A fascinating exploration of symbolism, allegory, and legend, which combines to reveal a historical belief in Mary Magdalene as the lost sacred feminine. Starbird's interpretation transcends traditions and time to recover ancient and historical meaning that persist hidden within modern cultural contexts. At times her narrative voice tends to dryness and her argument would have been strengthened by including footnotes/citations for her evidence, yet her ideas are tantalizing in their provocation ...more
Gabriel-paul Israel
I found the different undestandings of the sacred feminine and the discussion about tarot cards within this book quite interesting. I think that the discussions of imagery on tarot cards is interesting as Starbird gives different interpretations to the cards that are usually seen as negative. Starbird's ability to discuss complex ideas in simple ways causes an ease of reading for the information. I think that Starbird's book is a facinating example of thinking beyond contemporary Christianity.
Vickie
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book, even though it can never be definitively proven that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalen, I see no reason to doubt it. The very fact that the Catholic Church branded Mary Magdalen a prostitute when she never was (later recanted during Vatican II) makes one wonder what ELSE taught by the Church "ain't kosher" (no pun intended). Whether or Jesus was married does, in no way, jeopardize his divinity in my opinion.
Marija
Aug 04, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book may have been written in a "scholarly" manner, but it completely lacks footnotes. We are simply supposed to take the author's word for everything she's written. I stopped reading when she stated that Languedoc (in France) is otherwise known as Provence. In fact, they are two different areas of the country.

Skip this one and go straight to "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" by Michael Baigent. His is the original on the subject and is well documented.
Belinda
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was beautifully written so easy to read. I enjoyed every minute of it. I love anything that has to do with the history of the Holy Grail and Margaret Starbird makes an excellent case from an extensive study of history, heraldry, symbolism, medieval art, mythology, psychology, and the Bible itself. Beautifully told story about the forgotten feminine--in the hope that its return will help restore a healthy balance to planet Earth.
Kristine
Nov 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I admit I read "The DaVinci Code", and thought the premise was completely fascinating even if the writing was a bit too much with an implausible plot line. The premise encouraged me to dig deeper into the theme and I discovered this little gem of a book.
Amanda
didn't finish; had heard it all before in holy blood, holy grail
Karen
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was Mary Magdalen the wife of Jesus? Not very convincing argument. Too many theories, supported by questionable sources.
Steph (loves water)
Outstanding, this book opened my mind on so many different levels.
Caitlin H
I really wanted to like this book. I really wanted to get into the proof of, if not that Mary Magdalen & Jesus were close, that this was, as Margaret Starbird claims in the beginning of the book, a widely held belief by people in the Middle Ages in certain areas of Europe, at least. I really wanted to uncover something, to learn something, to discover something that had been lost.

The most interesting parts of the book, for me, were actually the discussions of the early Christians, & of h
Linda Flynn
This book provides many interesting thoughts and historical points worth looking into.

In ways, it addresses the question many Christians today are asking, "How did the church end up here -- so far from the models of the first century followers?"
Kymberly
Jun 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, read-2014
I decided to read this book after reading The Da Vinci Code and am glad that I did. The insights that Mrs. Starbird has into the idea of the lost feminine and Mary Magdalen are all very intriguing. The fact that I just got back from Southern France (on the Mediterranean) and saw a lot of the Cathar and Grail heresy items she talks about, made me even more interested. While I found some of the illustrations to be confusing and not always by the information provided, the book flowed well. I find m ...more
Gabrielle
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
This book posits different theories about Mary than in the book Mary Magdalene Understood; this book gives good reasoning for how/why Mary of Bethany became known as The Magdalen, and was not two separate people. I really appreciate the chapters devoted to art, the color plates that are included, and the thorough explanation of esoteric and heretical symbols. It has prompted in me the desire to learn more about art history; yesterday I went to the library to seek more info on Botticelli specific ...more
Badger
The first time I read this I really enjoyed it. I would have given it 5 stars. It is well-written and thought-provoking. After reading lots of other books on early gospel writings, alternative history, and such; I read it again and realized that it is 100% speculation. There is not one bit of factual history here. Why? Because nothing is known about MM. Period. There are about 4 lines in the canonical gospels about her. There are some apocryphal gospels that may be inspired by her or may be comp ...more
Sirpa Grierson
Compared to Vern Swenson's work, this pales both in scholarship and theoretical rumination, but Starbird's book is fascinating as it comes from a Roman Catholic who worked through having her faith shaken by concepts that her church views as heretical. Her musings about Mary Magdalene have, I am sure, caused a lot of readers to ponder the fate of the women in Christ's life. Although much of this is conjecture, in light of the interest in the Dan Brown phenomena, Starbird proffers some possibiliti ...more
Rebecca
May 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical bible stuff
I adored this. A very thourough break down of the history of the bloodline of Jesus, and one of Dan Brown's references for the DaVinci Code. Well written and interestingly told. The author is a die hard Christian professor who set out to prove the opposite of what she ended up writing about. When confronted with her reasearch she changed her mind and wrote about Mary instead.
There is so much info in this book. I can't pass a church now without noticing the symbology, as well as seeing it in my
Kristen
This last time reading this book (July 2012), I just could not finish it. The author means well, but spends far too much time speculating without evidence. I know this book came of her reading "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," which has been largely discredited, but she goes a little too far in assuming that it is absolutely true. You need to have read HBHG for much of this book to make sense; and if you know HBHG is largely based on a hoax, it also largely discredits what this author is trying to sugge ...more
Elisa
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Referenced in the Da Vinci Code. Easy to understand. Says Jesus' death was also political: he was opposed to the Roman rule, he was the Davidic Messiah sent to set the Jews free from occupation and that he was crucified for sedition, not blasphemy, the last straw being overturning the money changers table in the temple. Crucifixtion was a Roman punishment for crimes against the governments. A Jewish punishment would have been stoning.
Interesting.
Marilyn Hudson
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly well written work offering a logical and coherent argument for the idea of the 'Holy Grail' as the offspring of Jesus. This line, story, and symbols of the virgin, the rose,and the vine were preserved in early Europe despite Church attempts to eradicate the story and/or the line. Through art, early Tarot symbols, and other evidences that the church may have been a return to a balanced spirituality which valued equally the male and the female.
Katie
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book presents a wonderful scenario of Mary Magdalen's likely role in Jesus' life on earth. For me personally, I often struggle with the repression of women that the Catholic church has done for so long. This book puts into perspective the errors the church has made on the role of women in the Catholic church.
  • The Gospel of Mary Magdalene
  • The Moon Under Her Feet
  • Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians
  • The Gospel of Mary of Magdala: Jesus and the First Woman Apostle
  • The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ
  • Bloodline of the Holy Grail: The Hidden Lineage of Jesus Revealed
  • The Goddess Path: Myths, Invocations, and Rituals
  • Secrets of Mary Magdalene: The Untold Story of History's Most Misunderstood Woman
  • Sophia: Goddess of Wisdom, Bride of God
  • Witchcraze: A New History of the European Witch Hunts
  • Mary Magdalen: Myth and Metaphor
  • Holy Blood, Holy Grail
  • The Passion of Mary Magdalen (Maeve Chronicles, #2)
  • The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects
  • The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot: A New Look at Betrayer and Betrayed
  • The Gnostic Bible
  • Gnostic Gospels: Including the Gospel of Thomas - The Gospel of Mary Magdalene
  • The Jesus Dynasty: The Hidden History of Jesus, His Royal Family and the Birth of Christianity

“A perda do feminino tem tido um impacto desastroso na nossa cultura. Tanto o macho como a fêmea se sentem profundamente feridos(...). As dádivas do feminino não têm sido totalmente aceites e apreciadas. Entretanto, o masculino, frustrado devido a uma incapacidade para canalizar as suas energias em harmonia com um feminino devidamente desenvolvido, continua a liderar com a espada, brande as armas temerariamente e frequentemente flagelando o próximo com violência e destruição.
No mundo antigo, o equilíbrio entre energias opostas era compreendido e honrado. (...) incapaz de uma interligação com a sua "outra metade", o masculino fica exausto. O resultado final do princípio feminino desvalorizado não é apenas o ambiente poluído, o hedonismo e o crime sempre crescente, é o holocausto.”
1 likes