Start by marking “Radical Careering: 100 Truths to Jumpstart Your Job, Your Career, and Your Life” as Want to Read:
Radical Careering: 100 Truths to Jumpstart Your Job, Your Career, and Your Life

Radical Careering: 100 Truths to Jumpstart Your Job, Your Career, and Your Life

Do you have a career worth loving?

Do you want to become the most powerful, valuable, fulfilled version of yourself? If so, you're a careerist. Advertising and entrepreneurial rockstar Sally Hogshead reveals 100 Radical Truths for closing the gap between your current reality and your utmost potential, including:
# 15: Aspire to be the dumbest person in the room
# 31: You

Published September 8th 2005 by Gotham

To ask other readers questions about Radical Careering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radical Careering

jeffpontes
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"Many times the line between success and failure can easily be crossed simply by altering one's perspective. This book provides quick and easy "kick in the butt" reality sound bites that provide the perspective required to lean towards (and stay on) the success side of the line..."
Loy Machedo
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Radical Careering by Sally Hogshead.

How can you criticize a woman who is not shy of being called a Hogshead? Or for that matter does not mind flaunting a ‘Hogshead’? Sometimes I wonder what were the hogshead family line thinking when they accepted this surname?

So here is a book from the world’s most celebrated creative directors or ‘the Oracle of Venice Beach’ as she was called (at least that is what the author stated in her introduction). Since it’s a small book, le
Doug
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book was something of an odd read. The format made reading it easy and the ideas came across clearly enough ... but in some respects it was like reading a children's book ... from the presentation and simplicity vantage point ... it was almost TOO simple and (at least from my vantage point) it was easy to lose interest in the point that Ms. Hogshead was trying to make. I understand that that may be her "style of writing" but, for me, it just didn't transfer that well.

From an overall content
karen
Jun 11, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: job hunters
I enjoyed this little book. It gave me some inspiration to help me make sure I don't settle in my jobs, to make sure I am always working at my best potential! As a person in her early 20s, it is easy to get depressed about career choices so this book definitely gave me some good ideas to think about when I feel I am languishing. I think I will get a copy of this for my own personal use and to share with friends who are in a similar position! My biggest complaint about the book is that the little ...more
Shawn
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it
The advice contained in this quick read would likely work well in the advertising world or various business settings, but I'd hesitate to recommend it to everyone across the career spectrum. Also, much of the guidance is vague and repetitive. Sally could have easily condensed this into 50 truths, making her message more pithy and powerful.

However, if you are seeking possible solutions to a less-than-optimal work situation, this little book may spur positive thinking and new ideas to get you out
Ron
Mar 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone trying to move from jobs to a career.
I actually did copyediting work on this one, so my view is biased, but Sally does a great job of tapping into the Fast Company mindset of taking charge of your professional direction and setting your own agenda for working within the system. Short and snappy, with a visual layout meant to command your attention, Tom-Peters-style (only with less choppy prose).
Jim Serger
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sally did an outstanding job on this book-- the flow, the design, the quotes, the themes, the tales, the stories and of course her personal input really nailed how we can jump start a job, career and our lives. Great job to the author; bringing her passion and her zest for making work enjoyable to the forefront.
James Pritchert
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this book while looking for another job. I may not remember the specifics about this book, but I did get a great job a year after reading it. If someone is stuck in a job and not in a career, they may want to consider reading this and get on with life.
Julia
Sep 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
a couple little snippets of pseudo-pop advice crap. I liked the "have a mantra" idea. And though it was trite and over-marketing blase, there were a couple of sentences I needed to read. It was more about picking up this book than reading it.
Angela
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Sally is my heeeeeero. Read it even if you're not in advertising.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it
An optional-read book on career management and development.
Alexandra Holland
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Eye- opening and sound advice. Short read.Worth it!
Loyal
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
The book had a lot of great ideas and motivators for finding a career and making the one you have better.
Shravan Shetty
Apr 27, 2013
Patience Jones
Sep 27, 2014
Sally Hogshead
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
SmarterLilac