Start by marking “Bröderna Karamazov” as Want to Read:
Bröderna Karamazov

Read Book* *Different edition

Bröderna Karamazov (まんがで読破 #10)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  184,754 Ratings  ·  8,079 Reviews
The award-winning translation of Dostoevsky's last and greatest novel.

The Brothers Karamazov is a passionate philosophical novel set in 19th century Russia, that enters deeply into the ethical debates of God, free will, and morality. It is a spiritual drama of moral struggles concerning faith, doubt, and reason, set against a modernizing Russia.
Published December 1st 1997 by Wahlström & Widstrand (first published 1880)

To ask other readers questions about Bröderna Karamazov, please sign up.

Utkarsh Detha While it is true that Smerdyakov chose wrong means and lacked the virtues one is expected to have (courage, honesty etc.) he was in no way inferior to…moreWhile it is true that Smerdyakov chose wrong means and lacked the virtues one is expected to have (courage, honesty etc.) he was in no way inferior to Ivan in intellect. I think the reason behind this were the unjust norms of the society. Unlike Ivan, Smerdyakov the bastard had to live like a servant. He had no filial rights whatsoever. He wanted to pursue his own dreams but for that he had no support from anyone. Even though Fyodor Karamazov was the worst a father could be, his legitimate sons enjoyed certain privileges that Smerdyakov did not. These privileges came with their name. This was the main reason (as far as I could understand) why Smerdyakov devoted his intellect to petty issues, like manipulating others etc to achieve what he wanted (He dreamed of moving to France). Ivan on the other hand could afford to spend his intellectual resources on 'lofty' issues like the existence of god, etc. Smerdyakov was nearly as capable as Ivan, if not more. He was just deprived of the luxuries (to him, they were luxuries) that the name Karamazov gave to Ivan.

He was able to manipulate Ivan, implant ideas in the minds of everyone and most remarkably the Prosecutor's mind ( the Defense lawyer, Fetyukovich was able to see through his deception and considered him to be a very clever man). This corroborates his superior intellect.(less)
Paul All on Earth should read Greene's 'The Power & the Glory' as it has similar moral complexities and philosophical debates but more emotive due to…moreAll on Earth should read Greene's 'The Power & the Glory' as it has similar moral complexities and philosophical debates but more emotive due to the startling content and some of the best descriptive passages in literature. Maybe you've already read it(less)

Rawley
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there was still any doubt, let me confirm that this actually is the greatest book ever written. But be warned that you need to set aside a solid month to get through it. And it's not light reading--this is a dense work of philosophy disguised as a simple murder mystery. But it's well worth the effort. It tackles the fundamental question of human existence--how best to live one's life--in a truly engaging way. Dostoevsky created 3 brothers (Ivan, Alexei, and Dmitri) with opposite answers to th ...more
Michelle
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
“The Brothers Karamazov” has intrigued me for years. I have always been aware of the fact that it is one of the greatest novels ever written so I know I have to read it eventually. Finally, after reading it, I think I get why this is considered great literature-- and though I can't exactly say that I loved it, I admit that I don’t regret reading it.

The plot revolves around the murder of perhaps one of the most despicable characters ever created, Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, the father of the Kar
Jeffrey Keeten
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-russians
Photobucket

If you like your books to move in a linear fashion this book is not for you. It hops around and attention must be paid or you will find yourself flipping back a few pages to reestablish the thread of the story. I took this on a plane flight, crazy right? Not exactly the normal "light" reading I take on flights. It was a stroke of genius. I absolutely fell under the thrall of Dostoyevky's prose. (Thank you to my fellow travelers who didn't feel the need to chat with the guy who obviously is so f
Conrad
Mar 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contrary to widespread rumor, this is a far from bleak book. While every character has his or her own misery, and it all takes place in a place called something like "cattle-roundup-ville", the moments of religious ecstasy and moral clarity are heartbreaking in their frequency - it's hard not to wish that one had such bizarre events going on around one in order to prompt such lofty oratory.

The story involves Ivan, Dmitri, Alyosha, and Smerdyakov, four brothers with a rich but notoriously lechero
Michael
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm writing this review as I read. Frankly, I'm astounded by how good this is and how compelling I'm finding it. Astounded? Why should that be? This is a classic, after all. True, but it breaks just about every "rule" of fiction. The plot so far is virtually nonexistent: three brothers get together with their wastrel father and all sorts of dysfunction, including an odd love triangle involving the father and the eldest son, are revealed. The brothers aren't particular close to each other, and re ...more
Seemita
I finished reading this book at precisely 0205 hours today. The night still lay majestically over the impending dawn, and in its blackened stillness, swayed the echoes of this imperious book. The walls of my room, at once, turned into a fortress for Dostoevsky’s army of thoughts, and I, right in the middle of it, found myself besieged with its diverse, haphazard but mighty blizzard.

I am no stranger to this rambling Russian’s precocious visions and forbearance and yet, and yet, this work, swells
Riku Sayuj
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Riku by: english teacher in seventh grade!

On Romancing The Devil

Warning: This review might contain spoilers even outside the hidden 'spoiler alert' regions. I honestly am not capable of discriminating.

The book is not about the murder or about who did it, those things were very apparent before half the book was completed - the narrator taking special pains to spoil all suspense for his readers at the very beginning (harkening back to the days of greek drama and Euripides - according to whom, the effect of a story, even a whodunnit, was
Lisa
“Hurrah for Karamazov!”

Those are the concluding words of this bombastic brick of a book. I am more than willing to chime in, to cheer for the brothers Karamazov who finally, finally made me give in to the genius of Dostoevsky fully, without anger, without resentment and fight, after a year of grappling with his earlier novels.

This is doubtless his magnum opus, the shining lead star in a brilliant cosmos. There are many similarities to his earlier novels, and his characters fight with the same i
Fernando
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"La cuestión principal que se tratará en todas las partes de este libro es la misma que me ha hecho sufrir consciente o inconscientemente: la existencia de Dios."

Esta frase resume toda la epopeya karamazoviana que Fiódor Dostoievski encarara a final de su vida en esta obra literaria monumental y que le llevara tres años de apretada y sufrida elaboración. Dostoievski, que había tenido una vida plena de emociones iba a culminar su propia carrera con un libro perfecto, más allá de que tenía pensad
Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
Αδελφοί Καραμάζοφ: η τέλεια τραγωδία.
Ένα έργο ευσυνείδητης μεγαλοφυΐας, αποκορύφωση, διακριτή ως επίτευγμα στην υπαρξιακή παράδοση της ανθρωπότητας και στα παγκόσμια λογοτεχνικά πρόσωπα.

Η πατρίδα όλων των ανθρώπων βρίσκεται σίγουρα στην καρδιά αυτών των μεγάλων τραγωδιών.

Τρομάζει το μεγαλείο που κρύβεται μέσα σ’αυτό το βιβλίο. Μια φανταστική ύφανση πολυπλοκότητας κατακλύζει πλήρως τον αναγνώστη κατά τη διάρκεια της εξέλιξης.
Η αλληλεπίδραση είναι τόσο απλή και φυσική σαν να συμμετέχεις στην π
  • The Death of Ivan Ilych And Other Stories
  • Sketches from a Hunter's Album
  • The Four Major Plays: The Seagull / Uncle Vanya / Three Sisters / Cherry Orchard
  • Eugene Onegin
  • The White Guard
  • Life and Fate
  • Oblomov
  • The Enchanted Wanderer: Selected Tales
  • Time Regained (In Search of Lost Time, #7)
Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (Russian: Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский), sometimes transliterated Dostoevsky, was a Russian novelist, journalist, and short-story writer whose psychological penetration into the human soul had a profound influence on the 20th century novel.

Dostoyevsky was the second son of a former army doctor. He was educated at home and at a private school. Shortly after the death
More about Fyodor Dostoyevsky...
“Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.” 7569 likes
“What is hell? I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love.” 3864 likes