Start by marking “Small Town Detour: A Holiday Romance” as Want to Read:
Small Town Detour: A Holiday Romance

Small Town Detour: A Holiday Romance

After years of struggling financially, things are finally looking up for Willa Johansen. A new town and a new job are just the first steps to a new life. Or are they?

Life as a consultant means never being in one place too long. Clayton Hartley is going to be in and out of Fayhill in weeks just like any other job. That is until one woman catches his eye and has him rethink
Published 2021

To ask other readers questions about Small Town Detour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Town Detour

Start your review of Small Town Detour: A Holiday Romance
Debbie
SHE'S BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!

Lordy how I have missed reading an Andrea Johnston book. This one did not disappoint. It had all the small town goodness that I've grown to love, with some holiday goodness mixed in.

I adored Willa - she'd gotten knocked down but the girl had spunk and determination and you couldn't help but love her. Clay - I was leary at first. Sure he was dreamy, but was he there under false pretenses and things were not going to go well? I loved their banter and how he was able
Heather
Shelves: 2021
I was ecstatic when I found out Andrea was releasing a new book.
Willa and Clay were pure magic together. I loved visiting Fayhill and seeing all the familiar faces again. Those cats sure were feisty and sassy too.
Misty
Dec 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Always great going back to Andrea’s little towns. This was a fun, quick, sweet read just in time to get your ready for the holidays.
Booklover Judy Lynn
Dec 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This standalone is connected to some of the author’s other books set in Fayhill, Texas, but only through reappearing characters. It can be read as a standalone. It is written in first person from an alternating dual POV.
Willa has had to work hard to overcome a setback. She finally has her life in order and has settled into a job she loves in a small town near her best friend, Mercy. Clay arrives in Fayhill as a consultant. He has worked and traveled tirelessly for a while, and he is beginning to
Dawn
Dec 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Hooray another visit to Fayville, this time with Willa and Clayton. I love it when Andrea takes us back to familiar places and faces. This read did not disappoint. This was a short sweet read. I enjoyed it from the first word to the last word. Andrea once again writes from the heart and weaves a great story. I really enjoyed catching up with familiar friends while reading about new ones. This is definitely a book you will want to pick up.
 •Cici• Theory of A Dreamer Book Blog♥
Having read Ms.Johnston's work before i always look forward to picking up another book of hers! As soon as i found out that she was releasing a holiday read i could not contain my excitement! I really enjoyed it!

Willa and Clay's journey pulled me in!

With Small Town Detour, Ms.Johnston has created such a good read! Be sure to check this one out this holiday season!

*I volunteered to read and review a copy of this book from the author*
Melena
Dec 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
A quick, fun holiday read!

Clay and Willa had a connection and it was sweet seeing them fall for each other. Their story reminded me of something you'd see in a Christmas movie.

If you've some of Andrea's other books you may recognize the setting and some of the characters. This can be read as a standalone, though. This is a really quick read and perfect if you're looking for a short holiday story.

Thank you to the author for providing an ARC for an honest review.
LLS
Dec 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
After suffering from a huge betrayal from her long time boyfriend, Willa moves to Fayhill to start over and be with her best friend. She meets Clayton when his company brings him in to audit the nursing home she is the director of. This was a cute holiday story that I really enjoyed. Loved hearing from Vera again! Hoping for more from Fayhill and its residents!

Thank you for the privilege of reading this book! Well done
samsbookstagram
Dec 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
4.5 Stars

If you're looking for a quick infusion of sweet romance look no further! Small Town Detour is the perfect treat, full of adorable moments, fun characters, and the perfect slow-burn romance that will keep you glued to the page. It's the perfect read to cozy up with right before the holidays, and I couldn't put it down!

I really enjoyed this story and can't wait to go back and read more of these characters and world!

**ARC received in exchange for an honest review**

Melanie Helms
Dec 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book was so cute and sweet! I loved Clay and Willa. It also made me want to go read Shane and Mercy's book cause i need more of Fayhill and Vera. ...more
Erica |
Dec 19, 2021 rated it really liked it

What a sweet, small town holiday read! Fun characters, a delicious slow burn, and all the heart one comes to expect from an Andrea Johnston book. This was the perfect quick and cozy holiday read, and it was exactly what I needed!
Within The Pages Book Blog
Dec 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This story was the perfect read for me right now. A small town, sweet romance that sucks you in and makes you forget everything else going on around you. The characters chemistry is off the charts and the push/pull makes this one enjoyable read. Plus who doesn’t love a happily ever after for the holidays?! This is one story you want to read while curled up with your favorite drink and wrapped in a fuzzy blanket.
Brenda Hansen
Dec 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Willa definitely needed a great man after what the asshat did to her. Clay and Willa were great together. I love small town romance.
Grisel Arteaga
Dec 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I have missed reading books from Andrea! I love the small town feels of her books! Clay and Willa are perfect! I loved it so much!! Returning to Fayhill was so much fun!!
Aly
Dec 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book has the warm and cozy feeling of going home to visit friends and family. Andrea Johnston writes small town and hilarious secondary characters as well as anyone possibly could. Catching up with Mercy, Shane, and Vera was amazing - and meeting Willa and Clay was the icing on the cake. Two naughty kittens, a little workplace drama, and two people who were meant to find each other make for the perfect holiday romance!
Jaime Reynolds
MaryLee Huerta
Dec 29, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartfelt

Loved the story and the setting. The words were so visual that I felt fully involved from beginning to end. Despite the hardship, happy ending was how it finished. Grab your copy today
Danielle
Dec 26, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like the style

On the minus side, I didn't like the writing style. I found the present tense distracting. Many of the sentences were awkward. Lots of telling ("I feel more for her than anyone else"). I also didn't connect to their insta love, it seemed forced. In addition to all this, I didn't understand some of the back story. If Willa is capable of landing a professional job as an organiser, why did she work as a mall elf? Do such jobs really pay more than skilled jobs in America?
On the
Stephanie Smith
Dec 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
This was the perfect short and sweet holiday romance with just the right amount of small town charm! I loved seeing some familiar characters as readers returned to Fayhill, but I loved having some new characters added in! The pacing was spot on and even though it was a novella, the characters were fully developed and came to life right off the pages! If your looking for a great holiday novella to get you into the Christmas spirit, I highly recommend you grab a blanket, warm cup of hot chocolate, ...more
Crystal Andrews
Jan 07, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my heart!

I am happy to be able to return back to Fayhill for this heart-warming story! It takes place over the Christmas and the New Year holidays although it can certainly be read at any time. I love the update with Shane and Mercy, but was so thrilled for Willa and Clay! Andrea Johnston has such a way with words that she has me wanting to visit or vacation with my friends in Fayhill. And I surely will be on the lookout for an invitation, should there be wedding bells anytime soon.
Megan | A Page to Turn
Going back to Fayhill was exactly what I needed this holiday season - I loved re-visiting with old friends, but also meeting some new ones! Willa is one of Mercy's friends from Austin and when life throws her one too many curve balls she decides to try something new and finds a whole new life in the town that loved and accepted Mercy! I absolutely love the small town feels, real life situations and a Hallmark-type romance you look for in Andrea's books, it felt like coming home again. Add in a d ...more
Stefanie
Dec 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Very cute novella based in the town of Fayhill. You get more diner. More Vera. More Mercy and Shane. And we get to meet Clay and Willa. Willa has had a rough go of it but thankfully she came to Fayhill to start over. She doing fantastic until a small bump in the road. A big cooperate employee by the name of Clay. Is he here to take her job. Fire her. This story was very cute. The shenanigans of Peanut Butter and Jelly were quite funny. Glad it helped Willa and Clay. Cute story.
Jenny
Dec 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taking a detour and ending up where you’re meant to be.

A light, sexy, sweet and completely heartfelt small town romance. Clayton and Willa were amazing! If you’re looking for a feel good romance make sure you grab this book, you’ll love it.

You cannot go wrong with anything this author writes, this book is another great example of her talent.
Cattigan Dawes
Jan 15, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warm fuzzies!

So happy to have Andrea Johnston Bank in my life! Willa and Clay's story is perfect and brought me warm, fuzzy feelings. Sidenote: I loved the Thank Yous from Andrea at the end of story, too.
AmyLynn
Dec 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Small Town Detour was a fun, sweet read with all the feels. I loved Willa & Clay's story. It's a heartwarming holiday read that will also have you laughing out loud. I couldn't put this book down. You will want to pick this one up. ...more
ToniAnn Papa
Jan 08, 2022 rated it really liked it
What a light hearted book! Willa and Clayton were the perfect couple for this short story. Their story was such a fun read. Sometimes it only takes a a few days to fall in love. All the time, it takes you seconds to realize how much that person means to you!
Heathers2boys0206
Sweet holiday read!

I loved the trip back to visit Mercy and Vera! Sweet story to read Christmas Eve! Andrea is so talented!
Samantha
Dec 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
absolutely love Andrea's work, her slow burn was flawless like usual. I love getting to know these two, Clay and Willa are Teo darn cute. This is a must read. ...more
Shannon
Dec 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s been a long while since Andrea Johnston published a book. This return to writing was absolutely perfect for the holiday season.

Highly recommended for those who love the yearly Hallmark holiday movies.
Sandi
Dec 22, 2021

• A Partridge and a Pregnancy (Holiday Brothers, #3)
  • Washed Up
  • Three Bells, Two Bows and One Brother's Best Friend (Holiday Brothers, #2)
  • The Naughty, The Nice and The Nanny (Holiday Brothers, #1)
  • Lake Mistletoe: A Holly, Jolly and Steamy Christmas Tale
  • She's the One (Boggy Creek Valley, #3)
  • Juniper Hill (The Edens, #2)
  • Scarred (Never After, #2)
  • Matter of Fact
  • Lumber Snack
  • Ignite (Cloverleigh Farms, #6)
  • If Only in My Dreams
  • Puck Shy (Carolina Comets, #1)
  • The Plight Before Christmas
  • Indigo Ridge (The Edens, #1)
  • Very Merry Married (Kringle Family Christmas, #2)
  • Rushed (Adventures in Love #1)
  • Tin Queen (Clifton Forge, #6)
Andrea Johnston spent her childhood with her nose in a book and a pen to paper. An avid people watcher, her mind is full of stories that yearn to be told. A fan of angsty romance with a happy ending, super sexy erotica and a good mystery, Andrea can always be found with her Kindle nearby fully charged.

Andrea lives in Idaho with her family and two dogs. When she isn’t spending time with her partner

News & Interviews

Science fiction and fantasy are the go-to genres for writers—and readers!—who like to explore the wilder borderlands of contemporary fiction....