Start by marking “They Loved to Laugh” as Want to Read:
They Loved to Laugh

They Loved to Laugh

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  876 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
Tears and laughter alternate in this novel of a young girl's growth to womanhood in the 1830s.

16-year-old orphan Martitia Howland has been transplanted into a Quaker farm family of five intimidating sons and one disapproving daughter. As Martitia runs their gauntlet, she suffers their teasing but finally begins to bloom. Valiantly she acquires the skills they expect of he
Published September 13th 2006 by Bethlehem Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about They Loved to Laugh, please sign up.
twice_baked✌️ Amazon sells paperback (Prime) for $9.47 but library binding it can be as expensive as $349.31. Sonlight sells for $13.95. Barnes&Noble sells for…moreAmazon sells paperback (Prime) for $9.47 but library binding it can be as expensive as $349.31. Sonlight sells for $13.95. Barnes&Noble sells for $9.47. If you're considering buying it, I'd say check it out from a library first. I disliked the book, and it would be a bummer to buy it and not even like it!(less)

CLM
After her mother dies, shy orphan Martitia is given a home by a lively and affectionate Quaker family in North Carolina. The brothers tease her to death while their sister resents Martitia's delicate white hands and lack of housekeeping skills. Yet it will be an unexpected talent of Martitia's (along with hard work) that saves the family fortunes!
Amy • A Magical World of Words
Audrey
I wanted to like this, but I just didn't. Something about the writing style and characterization just felt really off.

I found the main character, Martitia, to be a rather insipid protagonist. She was almost like a programmed robot at times. She never seems to know her own mind or figure things out very easily. There was never really any deep insight into what she was thinking or feeling and the characterization felt too simple and shallow. Despite the fact that the book starts out when she's si
Jennifer Griffith
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A truly delightful read. I cry every time I go through Martitia's trials with her, and as I see her grow through adversity. But I also laugh with her. The portrait Worth painted of life in rural North Carolina seems difficult but less harsh than some of the pioneer accounts, and it contains gems of wisdom for how to live life, to work hard and to love. The cover is a little weird, but don't let that put you off. Keep reading, because the scenes with Martitia and the silk worms are incredible. We ...more
Martha
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Yes, it is old fashioned and contains some very old fashioned ideas. But the story of a family that accepted an orphan into their midst as their own and teach her to laugh is one that never grows old. One thing, as reading it as an adult, you notice things you didn't notice before.
You realize that this family knew loss and heartache. Yet, they were able to laugh, tease, and sometimes torment each other while showing love. This is set before the time of the War between the stat
Anne
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sweet little historical fiction read that I ran across on accident. One of the things that fascinated me personally was the mention of one of their neighbors, Nathan Coffin, in Guilford County, NC. Turns out this Quaker family was acquainted with some of my ancestors, which added an extra level of interest for me.
Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick)
An overly wholesome attempt at entertainment that isn't actually entertaining. Martitia is weak, boring, and almost worse than Bella Swann on the idiot protagonist scale. The characters held no happiness for me and I would never have picked up this book if it hadn't been for my curriculum. Not recommended for anyone who values their sanity.
Rose
Nov 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adolescents and adults
Shelves: romances
A very simple and moving book, about a Quaker family in an earlier American day. A young girl loses her parents and is taken in by the family of the doctor who had been with them as they died. The doctor's family is Quaker, though the mother and grandfather are the only ones who truly cling to the strong and strict form of their religion. There are five boys who seem huge and overpowering to the small and solemn girl when she first arrives at their home, the more so for their great and frequent ...more
Bookworm
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book portraying a loving Quaker family, in the 1800's, and the shy relative they took in, who "doesn't laugh". Delightful, with humor and a happy ending!
Cheryl
Sep 05, 2017 marked it as xx-dnf-skim-reference
P. 60, checked reviews again to see if I needed to keep going. Read this review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... and decided that it is indeed time to DNF the thing. I should like it, but I don't. Boys & Ruth too mean, Martitia too childish, not enough about Quakers, Eunice doesn't even act like one. Bleah.
Sarah Brazytis
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This book is 2nd or 3rd on our top five list - absolutely wonderful!

Synopsis: Martitia's parents are dead, and she is alone in the world. Doctor David Gardiner, who attended her parents in their last hours, takes her home until her relatives can arrange for her care. But Doctor David's family is unlike anything Martitia has ever encountered before. Will she make the necessary adjustments to become part of their household, or will she retreat to the home of her cold uncle and uncaring aunt?

What w
Mary
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm feeling generous with ratings today. This was not a well written book and I didn't care for the protagonist much. She does improve once she decides to start growing a spine. The story was predictable, dripping sweet, and the feminists would have a heyday with this. I had to remind myself that just because it was written a long time ago doesn't make it a classic or literature. This was neither. With that said, it was a sweet story about good people and overall left me with a good feeling and ...more
Kathryn
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was written in 1942. The copy my library got for me has a broken spine and the due date slip in the front. That just added to the charm of this sotry. I'll never really know how to pronounce Martitia's name, but it doesn't matter really. She was a wonderful young lady who survived the loss of her parents and came to live in the Quaker family of Doctor David.
Heidi Zimmer
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I used to devour books when I was a kid, and this book is one of the few that I went back to again and again to read. The characters are so wholesome and goodhearted. And the sweet love story that slowly develops as the little girl grows up is endearing.
Patriciadubray
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
a delightful fun read that was both entertaining and interesting. I would obviously recommend highly.
Hannah
Dec 01, 2009 added it
This one was SO good. The girl is a lot like me.
I'm not very good at understanding some ppls humor....
same as the girl. LOVE THIS BOOK!
Karen
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book ever when I was young.
Oleeta Igar
Jan 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Very dated. Very 1950s middle school grades. All girls should learn housekeeping in order to catch a man and marry.
Erica
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My family's favorite book! I've read it a million times. Tee writing doesn't stand up against that of other writers, but that never dampened my interest.
Nancy
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was young and just loved it. It reminded me of the two books by Louisa May Alcott, Eight Cousins and Rose In Bloom. This story just warms my heart.
twice_baked✌️
Nov 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody on the face of this good earth!
Recommended to twice_baked✌️ by: nobody
Honestly it completely surprises me that people like this book. I filled a whole page and a half! of things I couldn't stand about this book. Then I lost it, so let's try to see if I can remember some of the worst parts of it all...

For one, (view spoiler)

Then, the pranks they play. I don't understand why you would laugh when someone dumps you in a cree
Therese May
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Melrose
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
They Love to Laugh
Recently, I read the book “They Loved to Laugh’’ by Kathryn Worth. This book was published by Bethlehem Books in 1942. The number of pages is 254. Various little illustrations are located in the book. Sadly, the illustrations were out of proportion, scarce, and very tiny. The price for this book is about 10 dollars.
This book was about a 16 year old girl, Martitia, whose parents have died. Because of this she goes off to stay with a Quaker family, the Gardeners, till her ric
Smeagol2010
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, school
This book is about a very little (in height) 16 year old girl. The book starts with her in a carriage going to a Quakers house after her parents were killed. There she meets five of the most troublesome boys and a coldhearted girl, the sons and daughter of David Gardner. under the wing of Eunice, the mother, Martitia learns to weave, cook, clean, and everything that a good housewife is supposed to know. Her uncle James (who is her closest relative),went to the house and asks for her for the sole ...more
Tina Weaver
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember why I picked this book as a teenager. Maybe it was the era and I was reading Wagon Train genre. I read this book with outbursts of laughter. The characters lept from the pages and leaned over my shoulder as I read their exploits. I learned to love each and everyone.
From being pellted with apples upon arriving at the farm to learning to do housework to falling off a log into a stream filled with snakes (no snakes but the boys told her they were there) every moment kept me turning
Kari
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
For me, this was a good example of writing style changing in the middle. I read the whole thing in a couple hours, and immediately speed-read almost all of it again to make sure that what I had thought I read at the beginning was what was really on the page, and it was, which I could hardly believe based on the rest of the book.

It was recommended by a lady I don't really know as one of her family's favorite fiction, so I thought maybe it was good. Now I'd say don't bother; stick to Louisa May Al
Katherine Gingrich
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 16-books, 25-books
I absoluty loved this book. Martitia is an orphaned girl who is taken by the doctor who tended her parents to live with him. He has five boys who all tease her mercilessly, and one daughter who resents her for her lack of housekeeping skills due to her upbringing as a 'lady.' While Martitia leans these skills and makes herself into an educated and talented young woman, it is the skills that she cultivated with her mother that end up saving the family from hard times.
The family is Quaker and farm
Sonnet Medrano
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the sweetest books I've ever read. The story centers on Martitia and the Quaker family who take her in when her parents die. Martitia is intimidated by the boisterous, teasing sons, whose mission it becomes to make Martitia laugh with them in their pranks, and also by the lone daughter, who sternly admonishes Martitia to be useful, because 'every tub must stand on it's own bottom'. Martitia is used to keeping her hands pretty for playing the spinet and painting, so learning to coo ...more
Hope
Feb 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I don't really even know why I read this. It seems almost dorky now, but I was out of things to read and I found this on the shelf, and the title seemed pretty good, I guess, so yeah...

It's about Quakers, though, and unfortunately I've never been too inspired by Quakers... :/
And whenever I said the main character's name: "Martitia" it felt weird on my tongue. I think it's such an awkward, uglyish name. Probably just me. Oh well.

I DID, however, get mad when Clarkson died...because he was better
Kristyn
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Martitia is orphaned when her parents both die from illness. The doctor that comes to help them takes her home with him until her aunt and uncle can be contacted.
This only child must choose between a leisure life without love with her rich aunt and uncle, or with love and hard work on a farm with a Quaker family with 12 children.
Will serious Martitia ever learn to live with the teasing of the five Gardner boys, and will she ever learn to laugh as much as they do? And which of the boys that fall
Leonid Meteor Shower of 1833 depicted in "They Love to Laugh" 1 8 Nov 26, 2012 06:52AM
  • The Slopes of War
  • My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage
  • Stink Alley
  • The Great Little Madison
  • Sacajawea
  • Enemy Brothers (Living History Library)
  • Bound for Oregon
  • The Borrowed House
  • Moonshiner's Son
  • The Yanks Are Coming: The United States In The First World War
  • Bonanza Girl
  • The Boys' War: Confederate and Union Soldiers Talk About the Civil War
  • The New Nation: 1789-1850 (A History of US #4)
  • Hannah Fowler (Kentuckians, #2)
  • World War II: The Rest Of The Story And How It Affects You Today, 1930 To September 11, 2001
  • Downright Dencey
  • Guests
  • The Iron Peacock
From NCpedia:

Kathryn Worth, writer, was born at the family summer cottage at Wrightsville Beach, the youngest of three children of James Spencer (1869–1900) and Josephine McBryde Worth. Her brother was David Gaston Worth II, her sister Frances McBryde Worth. The Worths were English Quakers who went to North Carolina in 1771 from Nantucket, Mass. The McBrydes moved into the Laurinburg area about 17
More about Kathryn Worth

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
  • This Is Where It Ends
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
    $9.99 $1.99
“There are times when a man has need of the open heavens to compass his thoughts.” 9 likes
“But what do the boys say about my staying on, sir? They dislike me dreadfully. I'm sure they won't want me to become one of them."
Dr. David's whole face wreathed itself in a giant twinkle. "Hasn't thee found out about those boys yet, Martitia? Hasn't thee learned that menfolk don't tease except where there's affection to prompt it? 'Twas that rascal Clarkson himself who spoke the first yea to his mother's wish to keep thee here.”
0 likes