Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers” as Want to Read:
The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  639 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Ask the Right Questions in the Right Ways...And Get the Answers You Need to Succeed! Discover the core questions that every manager needs to master...how to avoid the mistakes business questioners make most often...ten simple rules for asking every question more effectively. Learn how to ask tough questions and take control of tough situations...use questions to promote in ...more
Paperback, 205 pages
Published September 1st 2008 by FT Press
More Details... Edit Details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.
This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
Average rating 3.61  · 
Rating details
 ·  639 ratings  ·  24 reviews


More filters
 | 
Sort order
Start your review of The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
Osama Aamer
كتاب يحتوي على كلا من :
فنون الادارة - و التي من ضمنها فن السؤال - ، و الفكاهة ، و القصص الممتع و المفيد
فالكاتب اسلوبه دائما يعتمد على الاستدلال بالقصة
اهم النقط المستفادة :
-لا تسأل السؤال الا اذا اردت جواب و اذا اردت سماع اجابة فعليك ان تعرف قبلها ما الذي ستفعله بها
- لا تتيقن من اجابة المتلقي لسؤالك و لكن توقع عدة اجابات و خاصة المفاجئة
- اطرح اسئلة افضل تحصل على اجابات افضل
عيوب الكتاب :
- الكتاب يفتقر لعنصر التركيز على عنصر تعلم فن السؤال فالكاتب يجول بك في العديد من فنون الادارة مما يكسب الك
...more
Noor Elqalb
كتاب جيد أهم ملاحظة انه الترجمة جيدة. الكتاب يتناول السؤال كفن على كل مدير أن يتقنه وليس كما يوحي العنوان من حيث طرح الموضوع بشكل عام ومع ذلك يمكن تطويع هذه المهارات في حياتنا اليومية والت يتعد الإدارة جزء أساسي فيها.
Hussein Azher
العنوان غير دقيق
Darshan Shetty
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
The beginning of the book was promising, but I would be lying if I told I wasn't let down. Although the book is about asking questions, it does not shy from warning you time and again that asking too many of them will bring trouble (thanks to author's personal experiences doing just that in his early career). The conclusion even went on to remind the readers that Socrates was killed for asking too many questions. Anyway, so the key point here is not just asking questions but asking better questi ...more
Bernd
Aug 19, 2011 is currently reading it
Courtesy of MSFT Library, not much to lose :)
Mindy
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Asking the right questions in a way that doesn't offend or annoy is an art. It helps with unbeknown problems, which no one is aware of or give much thought. Asking too many question is also not good.

It would be better if there were more examples or stories in the book.

Like non-fiction books, the key is applying. Reading is good info to know but applying what you read is turning knowledge into power.
ESRAA
Apr 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
البداية مشوقة كونه ابتدأ بقصة
.الكتاب يتحدث عن طريقة طرح الأسئلة خصيصا في المجال العمل . ما كنت أبحث عنه هوالطريقة الأفضل لطرح الاسئلة في مجال حياتي اليومية
لم أجد ما أبحث عنه ولكني استرسلت في قراءته إلى
.أن أنهيته. وأعتقد أنه كتاب ثري لمن يبحث عن تطوير طريقة ادارته للموظفين
.أحببت جدا الجزئية الأخيرة بالكتاب لاقتراحها اسماء محاوريين جيدين مع ذكر نوعية الأسئلة التي يجيدونها
Carolyne
Skim it

It’s a book about asking questions. There was some solid points, and I plan to incorporate some of his suggestions. Not entirely worth a deep read.
Havasi Richárd
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: szakmai-polc
Gyenge közepes. A kérdés jó eszköz, használjuk. Ennyi a mondanivaló.
Luciano
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very instructive book.
It's a good manual for those who are already in the road for a time to review his operand mode.
Russell Family
Interesting and I learned a few things but it is only about business questions

This book focuses on surviving the evil corporate world, a world, imho, that should not even exist if the land of the free still did. But, America has fallen to these evil corporations so it looks like we all better find ways to survive it. Although, it seems like asking the right questions, "Should corps be allowed to put profit before human life as they do?", would probably get you killed as dead as Socrates.

Also, th
...more
Elf_owl
I didn't finish reading this book because I felt that it had nothing that was new to me, and I have not read any other books of the same genre. The anecdotes from the author's personal experience were interesting, but I didn't learn anything from them. In general, this book just gave me a bad impression of managers since the ones mentioned in this book all messed up because they didn't ask the right questions but then went on to get rewarded.
Arwa
Jul 25, 2011 added it
the translated book is not well translated at all. as for the origonal book it is very usefull as i consider reading it over sometimes again. it consist of an origonal and proffisional way of looking at questions and it is really an art to be done properly. how good questions can give u a boost in ur career or end it all. the idea can be adapted and applied in real life somehow. i advice the book in english
Dee Renee  Chesnut
I downloaded this as a free ebook recommended by Spec in the comments section of a Free Friday selection from Barnes and Noble. I read it because I believe in the value of better questions to promote learning and cooperative efforts in groups.
I don't have a problem with the questions suggested by Fadem. My ranking of only two stars is with the format which I believe could be better with some editing so there might be less repetition.
I recommend it as a reference book.
Saad Usman
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A thorough guide for managers, whose job is to supervise people. Since no one can expect a doctor to work without a stethoscope, a dentist without a pick, a painter without a brush, managers can't work without their toolkit, which is questions. I agree with the author that the quality of answers depend upon the quality of the questions as well as the way these are asked. Good read for managers!
Laura Hoffman Brauman
The suggested questions are good, but I didn't agree with much of the author's philosphy on business -- far too worried about not making waves -- sometimes those are the questions that are most important to ask.
Elizabeth Olson
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012, how-to
Incredibly thorough, specific and example-filled, this has got to be the definitive guide to asking questions. Though primarily geared to business, the processes and techniques detailed here will help any organization or group ask better questions, get better answers -- and see better results.
Garland Vance
Mildly helpful in thinking about asking good questions
Nancy Graham
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent wisdom for leaders and coaches
Jessica Rogers
Feb 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
couldn't keep my attention..
Dena
rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Melissa
rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Nancy Peterson
rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Sheila
rated it did not like it
Oct 13, 2011
Yafan Lian
rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2019
Patricia Smith
rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Eric Durso
rated it did not like it
Dec 03, 2011
Maggie Baker
rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2019
طه ياسين
rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2013
Wilson Junior
rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »

Readers also enjoyed

  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • Making Sense of People: Decoding the Mysteries of Personality
  • The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • Winners Never Cheat: Even in Difficult Times
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions When It Counts
  • Confessions of a Public Speaker
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • The Rules of Management: A Definitive Code for Managerial Success
  • Quick and healthy breakfast recipes using super foods
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • Anything You Want
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
See similar books…

News & Interviews

November is the time for aspiring writers to get serious about writing that book! It's National Novel Writing Month, the annual event designed to...
65 likes · 14 comments
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. —Richard M. Nixon” 1 likes
More quotes…