Start by marking “Surely Surely Marisol Rainey” as Want to Read:
Surely Surely Marisol Rainey

Surely Surely Marisol Rainey

(Maybe Marisol #2)

"Anyone who has ever had trouble feeling brave will be empowered by Marisol."--NBC News

Everyone loves sports . . . except Marisol! The stand-alone companion to Newbery Medal winner and New York Times-bestselling Erin Entrada Kelly's Maybe Maybe Marisol Rainey is an irresistible and humorous story about friendship, family, and fitting in. Fans of Clementine, Billy Miller Ma
Published August 9th 2022 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Surely Surely Marisol Rainey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surely Surely Marisol Rainey

Start your review of Surely Surely Marisol Rainey
Darla
Aug 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever looked at the week ahead and wished you could jump over a day or two? Marisol Rainey feels this way about Thursday. It's Kickball Game Day. Ugh! Hopefully those lessons from big brother Oz will give her the boost she needs. After all, her cat Beans seems to be telling her she will do well. Love this new episode in the Maybe Marisol Chapter Book Series. Marisol shares her days and her troubles with us. Why can't her dad (Dadhead) be home with them instead of on the oil rig for three ...more
Erin Entrada Kelly
Mar 21, 2022 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I was the kid who was terrified of gym class. I was the kid who was picked last. I was the kid who snuck to the back of the line so I would never have to go up to bat. I was the kid who always felt like she would let her team down, if I was ever on a team. Basically: I was Marisol. But Marisol, as always, has more moxie than she thinks. :)
Kathie
Jun 06, 2022 added it
Thank you to Edelweiss+ and the publisher for an eARC of this book

I loved the first book featuring Marisol Rainey, so I was anxious to read this follow-up. She’s such a delightful character with her hesitant but hopeful personality, and I love watching her tackle tough things with help from her friends and family. In this story, Marisol worries about the kickball unit in gym and wishes she could be better at sports like her brother, Oz. She’s embarrassed when her nemesis, Evie, points out her we
Richard Propes
Apr 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to imagine that you won't fall completely in love with young Marisol Rainey, the delightful central character in Newbery Medal-winning author Erin Entrada Kelly's "Surely Surely Marisol Rainey."

If we weren't Marisol when we were in a middle-grade, then we most certainly had a Marisol in our life. She's more than a little quirky, extremely loyal, loves her family, adores her best friend Jada, and is extremely jealous of the athletically inclined Evie.

For the record, Marisol is NOT ath
DaNae
I think I Liked the story in this one even better than the first. For this one I listened to the audio and I really hope they find someone better to read in the future. The narrator was just grating.
Brenda
Aug 11, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the first book in this series, Maybe Maybe Marisol Rainey it's an adorable, illustrated chapter book. Marisol is such a lovely young girl, she's kind, empathetic, anxious, and at times quiet and reflective. She reminds me a lot of Matilda and Harriet and I just adore her. I was super excited to get my hands on the follow-up, Surely Surely Marisol Rainey by Erin Entrada.

In the latest book, Marisol is worried because her gym teacher just announced that the next unit they're startin
Cassie Thomas
Aug 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite things of these stories are the illustrations. When I was teaching we always started the year in our writing journal of keeping lists - and from the very beginning kids are able to see Marisol's Favorites in a way that I know so many teachers as of their students to write it in their writing journal. (Also, the drawings are just so darn good!)
Marisol is such a fun and relatable character. Students of all ages are going through something, and sometimes all it takes is not feeli
Maiya
Aug 30, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Marisol reminds me of little me. But I also think that she’s the perfect character for kids who struggle with shyness and anxiety- kids who often feel overwhelmed and unsure of themselves. Marisol is that kid, but she is surrounded by very supportive people and a beautifully wild imagination that helps her along the way. This book is the perfect back to school book for the littles ages 6-8. Kiddos with anxiety : I see you. You are awesome. All you gotta do is have a little faith and believe in y ...more
Maggie
May 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delightful. I love Marisol!
Jill
Marisol Rainey is a conscientious daughter, a creative friend, an animal lover, and a worrier. And for the next two weeks, her gym class is going to be playing kickball, and Marisol is worried about that. She’s not the best athlete, as her classmate Evie likes to point out. Evie loves kickball and is really looking forward to playing. Marisol worries about making a fool out of herself in front of Evie.

Marisol’s father works on an oil rig, so he has to ride in a helicopter from their home in Lou
Alex  Baugh
Aug 22, 2022 rated it really liked it
Eight-year-old Marisol Rainey and her best friend Jada George love to make lists of their favorite and their least favorite things. They don't always have the same things on them, but it's still fun to compare their lists. But there is one thing that is on both of their least favorite things and that is gym class. Sure, it can be fun sometimes, like when Coach Decker lets them play hopscotch, but when it comes to things like baseball or basketball, Marisol never hears him yell out things like "N ...more
Josephine Sorrell
This is book number two in the Maybe Marisol series. The endearing main character is Marisol Rainey.
This story is about overcoming fears, told with a bit of humor and the fears children might face growing up. It surely took me back to my elementary school days.

Marisol Rainey’s mother was born in the Philippines. Marisol’s father works and lives part-time on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. Marisol has this big imagination and likes to name inanimate objects, like the tree in her backyard she
Beth Rodgers
Oct 29, 2022 rated it really liked it
‘Surely Surely Marisol Rainey’ by Erin Entrada Kelly follows Marisol and her best friend, Jada, as they try to navigate the perils of elementary school gym. The fact that they have to play kickball is not something Marisol wants to remember, but lo and behold, her gym teacher is dedicating two weeks to the game, and Marisol doesn’t know how to handle it. Her dad is away at work, and she doesn’t really want to ask her brother, Oz, for help. He’s the ultimate athlete, in her opinion, and she knows ...more
Rachel
Aug 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really loved this book for those in-between readers who are ready for something more than picture books, but aren't yet ready for lengthy, picture-less chapter books. I particularly liked how Marisol's family portrayed a realistic family living in the deep South, with the father working on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico, while at the same time, still being present in his family's life.
Elaine Fultz, SLMS, Teacher Librarian, MLS
I like this early chapter series. Marisol has a very clear voice. Her anxiety is expressed authentically. In one illustration, she is shown with her head surrounded by her "brain train," including the thoughts, "I wish... I wonder... If only... Maybe... I should... Surely... Maybe... I should... Surely... One day... I wish... I wonder... If only..."
She has Oz, her big brother. "Surely the only thing worse than being terrible at sports is having an older brother or sister who is a fantastic athle
Heidi
Oct 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Things go wrong for young Marisol when her coach begins a kickball unit in P.E. Marisol worries about all the bad things that could happen playing kickball. With her father away on an oil rig, Marisol and her best friend, Jada, decide to get help from Marisol's brother, Oz, who is a fabulous soccer player. But one practice doesn't seem enough to save Marisol from utter humiliation and the taunts of her nemesis Evie Smythe. At the same time, Marisol tries to figure out if her friend Felix's claim ...more
Donna Metler
Jul 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This review is based on an ARC. Thank you for the opportunity to read this book. Marisol and her best friend Jada have likes and dislikes. For Marisol, one of her biggest dislikes is that she isn't usually good enough to get a "Good job" in gym class. In fact, she often struggles. The upcoming kickball unit has her full of anxiety and fear of failure.

I loved the cute illustrations and the relatability of Marisol and her struggles. I think middle grade readers will as well. I also loved the smal
Kelly Green's
May 18, 2022 rated it really liked it
As a more mature reader Marisol Rainey reminds me of my heart-warming Beverly Cleary days. Surely, Surely Marisol Rainey the second in the series, by one of my favorite authors Erin Entrada Kelly, is a fun read for beginning readers. I really like Coach Decker. He seemed like a cool character that I would have enjoyed his gym class, though I don’t care for kickball either. Note: I would like to “grow up” to be a “public intellectual”- it sounds super important.

What a really adorable, fun way fo
Linda
It's so nice to read a book where Marisol tells this story of her feelings about sports even when her older brother Oz is a super athlete. She knows this isn't one of her good traits and struggles to find something about herself so others will say "Way to go, Marisol!" She also has a hard time sharing her worries, with her dad who works far away and the only time the family talks to him several weeks of the month is through an online chat. Then, everyone is listening! Readers will connect, I'm ...more
Christie
Apr 17, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surely Surely Marisol Rainey is a fantastic follow up to Maybe Maybe Marisol Rainey! This time with her friends Jada, Marisol is working toward success in the kickball world. Will they be able to pick up some skills from from her soccer star brother? Will Marisol finally get to hear coach shout “Way to Go!” for something she did in PE? It’s hard not to be won over by the characters in Erin Entrada Kelly’s books, and Marisol’s story falls in line with that. Endearing! I will continue to talk up t ...more
Cathy
May 22, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Started this while in a line at the bank (8 deep with 2 tellers, sigh) and oh my, it brought a smile to my face! Felt all the emotions along with Marisol (I wasn’t athletic either) and would’ve loved to have her as a friend to read about back in the day.

Keep thinking I can’t love Marisol more, and the ending of this one (cat meow prediction, kick, clouds) left me going awww (surely).

As well: appreciate the mention of The Brain Train and how it chugs and chugs and becomes exhausting, with one q
Janice
Jul 31, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the publisher for an ARC of this book.

I loved Marisol!

Despite wanting to retreat when she's forced to play kickball in gym, something Marisol assumes she's not good at, she eventually decides to enlist the help of her brother Oz, who's great at sports, to help her improve her skills so she doesn't let down her team. Marisol wants to do well, wants her classmates and her coach to praise her, but she first must overcome her self-doubt. She's a loyal friend and loves her family. I was ro
Stephanie Bange
Nov 12, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg-2022
In the second book of the Marisol series, this time she faces her fear of playing sports (in this case, kickball) and boosts her self-confidence with the help of her BFF Jada, animal-whisperer (or is he?) Felix, her brother Oz, and Dadhead.

Well-paced with just enough angst, beginning chapter book readers will zoom through this one due to its large amounts of white space and numerous black and white line drawings that add clarity and levity to the story.

Perfect for fans of Junie B. Jones, Judy
Shari
Jun 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Marisol, and her BFF Jada! In this book, Marisol is very worried about playing kickball - team sports make her nervous about letting others down, and especially competitive players like Evie, who loves to remind Marisol of her weaknesses. This is a relatable and heartwarming story that not only can inspire readers to be brave like Marisol, but also kind like Jada, and an ally like Felix and Sherry.
I’m looking forward to seeing the final art when the book comes out in August!
Mary
Aug 11, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I’ve hated PE all my life. If you’re as athletically challenged as me or Marisol, you’ll know why. Kids like Evie Smythe don’t make it easier.

Another endearing book starring Marisol Rainey. I still like her first one better, but the whole dread about gym class and team sports like kickball were so painfully relatable.

One part I really liked: book reference! Marisol’s mom loves Arsenic and Adobo! 😄
The Page Ladies
Aug 30, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews, arc-2022
This was a nice addition to the Maybe Marisol series! Marisol is a fun character to follow with a great personality! She's a character that the younger kids will have no problem connecting with! Two of my favorite parts are how she deals with her fears and anxiety and the support that she receives from her friends and family ! It's a great story for the younger kids with cute illustrations that compliment the story! Thank you Greenwillow Books for sharing this book with me!
Jan 17, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EARC provided by Edelweiss Plus
Marisol is back! She is working through her fear of playing the dreaded kickball in PE class, and many readers will identify as she depends on her friends and her brother to overcome this challenge. I am such a fan of this character- I hope there are many more Marisol adventures planned.
Michelle Simpson
Jul 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Another great book about Marisol, who is struggling with kickball. She just can’t get the hang of it, even with her athletic brother’s guidance and coaching. She is frustrated by not only kickball, but how one particular girl makes fun of her when they play. I love Marisol and can’t wait to share this one!

Digital review copy from Edelweiss.plus.
Binxie
Aug 29, 2022 rated it liked it
Marisol is back with her friends at school. She is dreading the kick-ball unit in gym class. Marisol is able to share her emotions and some of her physical sensations when fear, jealousy, and anger arise as she faces a common school situation. Fans of Marisol will cheer her on all the way through the book.
Meredith
Sep 13, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
We need more books like this! Old-fashioned in a good way: a kid stressing about kid things like kickball and whether they can communicate with a cat.

Like Marisol, I, too, have a Brain Train. ("I wish ... I wonder ... If only ... Maybe ... I should ... Surely ...") And yes, "Sometimes it helps to focus on the right nows so you don't get lost in the what-ifs." (p. 72)

• Attack of the Black Rectangles
  • Swim Team
  • Creepy Crayon!
  • The Tryout: A Graphic Novel
  • The Fort
  • Before She Disappeared (Frankie Elkin, #1)
  • Yonder
  • Key Player (Front Desk #4)
  • Merci Suárez Plays It Cool
  • Speak Up!
Author of books for young people.

Maybe Marisol (3 books)