Start by marking “By the Great Horn Spoon!” as Want to Read:
By the Great Horn Spoon!

By the Great Horn Spoon!

For fans of the I Survived series--a rollicking adventure from the California Gold Rush!
When Jack's aunt is forced to sell her beloved mansion but is still unable to raise enough money to pay her debts, the twelve-year-old goes to California in search of gold to help her. Joined by his trusty butler, Praiseworthy, Jack finds adventure and trouble at every turn. Will Jack s
Published April 30th 1988 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about By the Great Horn Spoon!, please sign up.
Dani Actually no, it is about a boy and his butler from Boston going to California during the gold rush. Amazing book, by the way.

Mindy
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My son had to read this when he was in 5th grade and I read it at the same time. We both loved this. I think it was one of the best books he had to read in elementary school. They were learning about the California gold rush and this was a great depiction of that time.
Angie Thompson
I don't know how on earth you can combine serious history with laugh-out-loud humor and make it work, but this book pulled it off! And somehow, even though it came right to the brink of over-the-top, it never quite crossed that line. The very last scene, which was 100% believable, was also the one that made me laugh hardest!

Praiseworthy (oh, goodness, that name!) was an incredible character--and not always a predictable one! It was hard to tell sometimes whether his opinions were born out of un
Travis Bughi
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in elementary school, and I remember it being one of the few required-reading books that I actually enjoyed.

Side rant - I have such a love/hate relationship with required reading. On the outside, I like the idea of timeless classics and intriguing reads being read by students who'd otherwise would never have heard of them. However, while I was in school, I loathed such assignments with a passion. They always got in the way of the books I actually wanted to read. End rant.

Anyways
Mary
I loved this book so much!!!! I'm in awe of the author's masterful skill with clever and entertaining humor; flawless, complex plot; vivid, colorful, crisp writing; lifelike setting and characters; rich, realistic and natural historical detail; hilarious action sequences; and compelling, well-developed characters. This is a tale full of engaging adventure and laugh-out-loud wit, and I felt like I was right there with the tenacious heroes through each obstacle and victory.

Jack and Praiseworthy a
Stefan Hull
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5⭐ for audiobook version. This was a delightful adventure with golden nuggets of virtue strewn throughout. ...more
Jordan
Really enjoyable historical adventure for kids, featuring a plucky, wide eyed boy protagonist and his resourceful, indomitably hopeful butler. Highly episodic, which makes for good chapter by chapter bedtime reading, with clever plot surprises, fun characters, and a nicely realized historical setting.

Also nicely captures something of the spirit of the Gold Rush beyond mere naked greed (although there are plenty of characters motivated entirely by that); a kind of kids’ version of Frederick Jack
Josh Hull
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We listened to the Audio Book version as a family. It was delightfully narrated and voice-acted.

This story gave a real sense for the adventure, futility and dangers of the gold rush days. The historical setting was really fun.

The writing was very balanced with enough details to educate you about the time it was set in, and plenty of story to make it come alive.

The character Praiseworthy was a delightful example of how to move forward when things don’t go your way. While not always realistic,
Ian
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-school
Amazing gold rush book!!!
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Ah the sixties! Growing up in those days, television was full of cowboy series like Rawhide (with a very young Clint Eastwood), Bonanza, Gunsmoke and many more. Moving into the seventies, the trend was for "pioneer" series like Little House on the Prairie and Grizzly Adams. This book, written in 1963, fits nicely with that trend, and was one of the few my dyslexic brother bought and read voluntarily. I remember reading it when he first got it from Scholastic Book Services, and I also remember th ...more
Andrew
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-kids
I only read this book thanks to my fascination with the illustrator Noelle Stevenson and her revealing on Tumblr that this is one of her childhood favorites, and a kind of desert-island book. I didn't really start reading good children's literature until after high school, and even then I leaned towards the surreal/absurd (Daniel Pinkwater) or the emo/tragic (Jacqueline Woodson) or the sensitive/profound (could refer to Woodson, also Joan Bauer) but never was drawn to books that were simply FUN. ...more
Teresa
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is pure nostalgia for me. My 4th grade teacher read it to us when we were studying the California Gold Rush, and it's stuck with me ever since. My aunt and I visited Sutter's Mill this New Year's on the way to Nevada City because she had never been before. I've been thinking about revisiting By the Great Horn Spoon! for a while now, and it just so happened to be sitting on a book shelf in the visitor center's gift shop-- Hurrah!

The story. A Boston boy named Jack and his butler Praisewo
Sherry Elmer
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a funny, thoroughly enjoyable children's book about the California gold rush. It was educational in the most delightful way, where learning is "accidental" because it's just part of the story, and not because the author feels compelled to show he did a lot of research. My ten year old gives this five stars, and applauded at the end of the book.
Luisa Knight
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely going on my recommendations list!

You can't go wrong with a story when you put these elements together - you know it will spell comedic adventure for sure! 1) A morally upstanding tween boy who runs away in order to save his Aunt from having to sell her mansion. 2) A sophisticated butler who goes along with him, who is of course named Praiseworthy, and who always dons a proper top hat and walks with a gentleman's cane. 3) Put them, of all places, in the Wild West, specific
Katie Fitzgerald
Jack, a young boy whose parents have died, lives in Boston with his Aunt Arabella. When Aunt Arabella loses all her money, Jack and the family butler, Praiseworthy, sail off to California to seek their fortunes in the Gold Rush. Though Praiseworthy is a bit out of place amongst the other miners, his cleverness and ingenuity at every turn ensure that both he and Jack survive their adventure and have a great time in the process.

This book got off to a slow start for me, and at first, I wasn't sure
Julie Mabus
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Audio: great middle grade book about the California Gold Rush. Lots of humor. Kids and I both enjoyed the book immensely.
Will G
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The movie was great, the book was great, the plot was great. And get this... everything was great
Emily Z
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We all loved this story of adventure, friendship, family and love. We didn't want our time with Praiseworthy and Jack to end. Praiseworthy is a new favorite character.
Katie
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-crazies
listened to the full cast audiobook with L&C ... great fun in the car! As soon as it was over C asked, “can you start it over from the beginning?!”
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This historical fiction book is gripping and full of adventure! I loved the twists and turns that the characters took.
Kristina
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book brought back 4th grade living in California. Love the fun story of two stowaways trying to seek fortune in the time of the gold rush in California.
Karen
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ellie, mom, jacob
Listening to this audio in the car..krb 8/9/17

Excellent book! Praiseworthy is one of those characters that inspires you to be a better person. I loved his attitude and ingenuity. Best book we've ever read about the gold rush, you really felt as if you were a part of it. This audio had many different actors for each character and was very well put together. Definitely a read again book...krb 8/18/17
Alison
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
By the Great Horn Spoon! The nine-year-old liked this one when she read it for school. A friend who is a children's librarian told me it's boring. I agree with the librarian.

I tried this one earlier in the year and gave up after about seven pages. I managed it this time by skimming every time I thought about quitting. I can kind of see the appeal for a kid, but as an adult I just don't get it. I'm also not a fan of the representation of Chinese, Native American and Polynesian people in the boo
Robert  Nochez
Nov 12, 2015 rated it liked it
In "By the Great Horn Spoon!" it features a boy named Jack during the gold rush. Jack is not by himself though, so with him is his butler named Praiseworthy. They come from Boston, with an enduring conflict of having not enough money. Jack decides that it would be best to travel to California in order to gather a fortune from the gold, so he and Praiseworthy spend a little amount to board a ship. Their journey is not as simple as Jack thought it would be, it included fighting criminals, and chan ...more
Tara
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My other favorite book to share with my fourth grade students! The adventures of Jack and Praiseworthy help solidify my students' understanding of the various routes to California, and the struggles and triumphs that the travelers faced. I look forward to it every year. It is a bit difficult to begin, as the action takes a while to build. I find myself convincing some students to stick with it. But it only takes a short time before they are hooked, and begging to read "just one more" chapter eac ...more
Nancy Walters
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read with Oliver and Anna for our reading/writing workshop. Made maps of the journey from Boston to San Francisco. Watched the movie based on the book: The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin. Lots of freewrites, including "write a letter to the folks on the stagecoach you just robbed" (in the spirit of Black Bart). Another freewrite: focus on characterization (film vs. page) and use details to introduce a new character who shows up at the diggings. A great companion to The Game of Silence, as they t ...more
Denae Christine
Sep 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read it years ago and loved it. My brother is reading it now and I saw it in the living room. I'd thought of the book before but couldn't remember what it was called. !!

Edit: Now I've reread the book and still loved it (uncommon for books I read from when I was little). The characters use cleverness and skill and seizing opportunity in order to accomplish their goals. Anything they gain by luck is balanced by unfortunate circumstances. The characters just refuse to give up and make the most of
Megan Knippenberg
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute story. Read it with my 4th graders. The protagonist is a young boy to sets out on an adventure to both satisfy his curiosity and help his bankrupt aunt. Great description of the Gold Rush, including the trip around South America that many from the East Coast took to get to California.

Disney also made a movie based on the book called "The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin" (1967). My students enjoyed watching the movie as an end-of-year treat.
Giovanna Forsyth
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My song really liked the Whipping Boy, and my co-worker said she just read this one and loved it. I totally dug it, and so did my son. He's usually more a knights and castles kind of kid, but the mining/cowboy aspect of this book really captured his imagination. Praiseworthy aka Bullwhip and Jack or "jamocha jack" were both so endearing and their little adventures were such fun. This is such a sweet little adventure.
Claire
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Keeping in mind that this book is intended for a younger audience, I really enjoyed it! The characters are humorous and fun. The vocabulary is definitely sometimes above a 4th grade level, and there are multiple characters to keep track of, but this is a great way to teach children about the California Gold Rush! Much more fun and memorable than reading an old text book. I'd definitely recommend to the 4th grade crowd, or anyone interested in a fun way of learning more about the Gold Rush.
Amy
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Just wonderful. Sophia and I both loved this book and just finished a marathon reading session because we couldn't put it down. The writing was witty, the characters were clever and lovable, and we were on the edge of our seats to see how it would end right up until the last page.

Highly recommend this as a read aloud.

• The Great Turkey Walk
  • The Terrible Wave: Memorial Edition
  • Shades of Gray
  • George Washington Carver: Man's Slave Becomes God's Scientist (Sower Series)
  • Moccasin Trail
  • The Great Wheel
  • The Perilous Road
  • The Cabin Faced West
  • Walk The World's Rim
As a children's book author Sid Fleischman felt a special obligation to his readers. "The books we enjoy as children stay with us forever -- they have a special impact. Paragraph after paragraph and page after page, the author must deliver his or her best work." With almost 60 books to his credit, some of which have been made into motion pictures, Sid Fleischman can be assured that his work will m ...more
“I don't see any reason to let law interfere with justice around here. We never did before.” 1 likes