Start by marking “Myths & Legends: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings” as Want to Read:
Myths  &  Legends: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings

Myths & Legends: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings

Myths and legends are integral to all cultures. Their narratives, themes, and characters address and provide answers to eternal questions: where do we come from, how do we live, what do we believe in?

This fascinating book explores the major myths and legends across the world, from Classical mythology to Eastern beliefs, and from American legends to African folk tales. The
Published June 15th 2009 by DK (first published August 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Myths & Legends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myths & Legends

Start your review of Myths & Legends: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings
Horace Derwent
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
all i could find was the french version, it's good and a chunkster

-je t'aime!

-c'est vrai?
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
This a visually stunning masterpiece with so many vibrant paintings (sometimes covering two pages), photos of artefacts, pretty illustrations and a wonderful gold and black colour scheme.

Myths and Legends is no encyclopaedia but it does cover the general myths of Europe, West and Central Asia, South and East Asia, Africa, the Americas including the Caribbean and Oceania with at least 20 pages on each.

Though a third of the book is about Europe there is enough on other parts of the world to give
Katie Daniels
This is a good introduction to myths around the world, especially if you want a comprehensive overview of all mythology, rather than looking at just one in particular.
Anja von "books and phobia"
Als ich dieses Buch in den Händen hielt, fragte ich mich zuerst einmal selbst, welche Mythen und Sagen ich überhaupt kenne. Das Ergebnis davon war übersichtlich, denn neben Siegfried, Baba Jaga und den griechischen Mythen, fielen mir partout nicht mehr ein. Da war mir klar, das ich wohl in dieser Richtung noch eine Menge aufzuholen hatte.

Es war somit klar, das dieses Buch ganz schnell begonnen wurde. Dies lag aber auch Aussehen, denn der blaue Hintergrund in Verbindung mit den kupfernen Buchst
Angeli
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
Asked my friend to get me this book (together with my Percy Jackson collection) during the Big Bad Wolf sale in the Philippines.

I just had to have it. Most of the myths and legends that I have read were all Greek and Roman. I loved that this, too, covered Norse Mythology. I'm still getting the hang of Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman, so this one is a nice reference book for that. Though I have been pretty much distracted by the contemporary/modern/young adult/coming of age lits I've been reading,
Annerie RooibosReads
This was very very interesting. If you love learning about mythology, this is the book for you. It is a chunker though...
Asounani
Tarde muchisimo en leerlo no porque fuera malo, más bien porque queria leerlo con tiempo, asi que solo lo lei en mis ratos libres en la oficina, es sumamente interesante aveces es tanta información que te abruma pero es muy muy interesante
Hung Bui
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In less than 157 pages, this book provides an impressive variety of folklore and myths around the world in an integrated and fascinating approach.

Sadly, Southeast Asia, especially Vietnam's myths are not included in this book.

But I would totally reread it anytime soon.
Alexandru
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book on mythologies in different cultures and parts of the world. Very nice graphical presentation. The more you read books on mythology you wonder why religions are not included in the same category. The same ideas - floods, angels, spirits and demons and resurrections. Probably because there is a difference between myths that are believed no more and those that are still believed by a lot of people.
Dachi
Al igual que Signos y Símbolos, Mitos y Leyendas es una guía ilustrada de excelente calidad, muy extensa pero básica. Se la puede considerar una muy buena base para conocer mitos y leyendas a lo largo y ancho del mundo. ...more
Cel R. White
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
No está mal, aunque tiene uno que otro error. Sirve para darse una idea de mitologías con las que uno puede no estar muy familiarizado, como la africana o la de Oceanía. Además, uno puede ver a grandes rasgos las semejanzas entre varias mitologías, cosas como los mitos de la creación, los héroes culturales o que muchas veces hay gemelos teniendo aventuras... algo se traen con los gemelos.
Mary Ann
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with this book, it is amazing! A lot of details, dynamic and interesting :) :) :)
Ryan
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
A nice visual book with some great background into varies Myths and Legends from around the globe.
Patty
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Beautifully illustrated and organized for any ancient history buff!
Lucy Fallon
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic cornicoupia of information that is very interesting to read.
Jacobs
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's awesome!!! So far I've read a whole section on Greek mythology. But I wonder why the Romans copied the Greek religion? ...more
Burak Taşcı
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harikulade bir kitap. Kaliteli görsellerle desteklenmiş akıcı bir anlatımla dünya mitlerinde kıtalararası bir yolculuğa çıkıyoruz. Görselliğin de ön planda olduğu bir eser olduğu için yalnızca en olmazsa olmaz efsaneler üzerinde durulmuş diyebilirim. Fakat neyin ne kadar aktarıldığına değil nasıl ele alındığına bakacak olursak gerçekten şölen havasında bir kitap. Mitolojiye dair genel kültür edinmek, okumaları derinleştirmeden önce mitolojiye duyulan merak ve heyecanı artırmak gibi saiklerle oku ...more
Bryan Mcquirk
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, religion, fantasy
This is a great source of knowledge on the myths and legends which drove religious beliefs of ancient and pagan societies, before the monotheistic religions took over. The illustrations are fantastic.
Elkaza
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is also another one of my books I keep around to help me when I need quick information about the Myths and their Gods. Its easy to read and love the pictuers in it. I know you can go on the net, but I still perfer to read about it!
Matt
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love having some good entry level books to these sorts of topics in the library. "101" as I call them. And this is a very good book to familiarize yourself with various world mythologies and get a foothold before you get deeper into specific studies. ...more
MJ
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a must have coffee table book for people who are intrigued by mythologies and ancient stories.
the dark knight
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Good
Emma Church
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent overview of all the different cultures’ legends and myths. As it deals with them all it can only concentrate on the main stories, but a great overview, well laid out and illustrated.
Skord
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent reference and pointer to further reading. Covers parts of the world that most books miss.
Koro Amv
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hamxa
Alexandrina
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Nerita
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very informative and full of interesting pictures.
Sarah Wilkinson
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful detailed book
Alice
Feb 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mlle Alice, pouvez-vous nous raconter votre rencontre avec Le Petit Larousse Illustré des Légendes et des Mythes?
"Avant de découvrir la blogosphère littéraire, je lisais déjà beaucoup, mais pas seulement des romans. J'ai eu une période où tout ce qui parlait de fées, de légendes et de mystères finissait sur ma table de chevet. Cet ouvrage date de cette époque mais avait fini englouti sous une montagne de livres que je savais désormais s'appeler une PAL."

Dites-nous en un peu plus sur son histoir
Yced
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
Bonne lecture dans l’ensemble. Un bon survol de toutes les mythologies dont certaines sont beaucoup méconnues. Toutefois, certaines sections sont très légères et on enchaîne beaucoup trop rapidement à la suivante; je conçois qu’il est impossible de rentrer dans les détails sans que cela prenne des proportions trop énormes mais la coupure entre la mythologie grecque et le reste est beaucoup trop grande

• Signs and Symbols
  • The Other People
  • The Great Leveler: Violence and the History of Inequality from the Stone Age to the Twenty-First Century
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin, #1)
  • Highfire
  • Metaphysics
  • The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes, #4)
  • Maze Runner: The Death Cure: The Official Graphic Novel Prelude
  • Adults
  • A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie
  • Spoiler Alert! The Badass Book of Movie Plots, Why We All Love Hollywood Cliches
  • Nick of Time (Nick McIver, #1)
  • Zen para distraídos: Princípios para viver melhor no mundo moderno
  • A History of the Arab Peoples
  • Bulfinch's Mythology
  • The Thief of Time
  • Z - Bir Kuşağı Anlamak
Philip Wilkinson (born 1955) is the author of non-fiction books for children and adults. He was educated at Corpus Christi College, Oxford. He worked as an editor prior to becoming an author.

He specializes in works on history, the arts, religion, and architecture and has written over forty titles.

News & Interviews

Psychological thrillers that will leave your head spinning. Cold cases, detectives hot on a trail, unreliable narrators, and a dash of poison...