Start by marking “Essential Moon Knight, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Essential Moon Knight, Vol. 1

Essential Moon Knight, Vol. 1

(Essential Moon Knight #1)

Debuting as both enemy and ally of the Werewolf by Night, Moon Knight's three personalities equaled one eerie adventure after another by Moench, Miller and more! Earning enemies like the brutal Bushman and the macabre Morpheus early in his career, Moon Knight also teamed up with Spider-Man, the Thing, and others against well-known and forgotten villains alike! Spun by Cycl ...more
Paperback, Essential, 560 pages
Published February 22nd 2006 by Marvel (first published August 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Moon Knight, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Moon Knight, Vol. 1

Start your review of Essential Moon Knight, Vol. 1
Mike
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
It’s fun to walk through the early days of Marvel toying with Moon Knight in occasional guest appearances across the second-tier titles: fighting alongside a werewolf, bumping into the soap-opera version of Spidey, taking a guest appearance in the Thing’s never-ending series of team-ups...

Unfortunately the weird “Hulk Magazine” issues haven’t been added to Marvel Unlimited so I’m missing out on all that cash-in-for-Hulk-on-70’s-TV goodness which must’ve been hellaciously schlocky to still be wai
Josh
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm not sure they knew where they were going with Moon Knight in these first stories. Is he the reincarnation of the Moon God? Is he a hero? Or is he just mentally ill? Funny enough though, as rough a start as it is, I'm still interested in reading more. I'm hoping the series finds more direction as it continues. ...more
Zack! Empire
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I must admit I didn’t read much of this collection, though I was never really planning on reading it cover to cover. I mostly got it because I was interested in seeing the Bill Sienkiewicz artwork. I find his art really interesting and I’m always excited to look at an artist now and look at some of their earliest stuff to see how much they have grown. One thing I really notice with this book is how much of a difference an inker can make. When Bill is inking himself his work is scratchy and loo ...more
Jason
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's kind of funny...you can tell that in his first few appearances, they had no idea what to do with Moon Knight. He was a bad guy...then he's a good guy. He has werewolf-powers, or maybe they were granted by Konshu. Doug Moench does a great job of finally reconciling these things in a way that makes some sort of sense.

And Bill Sienkiewicz is one of my favorite artists, though they don't let him go too crazy thoughout most of this volume. Still, it's good stuff all around.
Quentin Wallace
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Moon Knight has been described as Marvel's Batman, and there's some truth in that but the characters have some differences too. These early stories are interesting but as some readers have pointed out the character was still undeveloped. I like the fact this is almost a horror/super hero comic as many of the stories have some dark horror themes. The art at times resembles Neal Adams and since Adams is one of my favorite artists I enjoyed it even though it was derivative. Sienkiewicz developed a ...more
Amanja
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This is okay.

Moon knight is not at all a fully realized character yet. Think it'll take a while for anyone to figure out what to do with his complicated identity and still under written skill set. But in the meantime I enjoy his many sidekicks. What an unusual group of crime fighters.
Manoj
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
NOTE: this Essential series does not contain reprints of the original colours. It's all black and white, but that isn't a bad thing!

Prepare for your new favourite comic book superhero. Probably one of the best (largely-unknown) characters in Marvel's epic pantheon of comicbook heroes. "Crescent crusader", the "jet and silver wraith", "spectre of the moon", "moon's knight of vengeance" are just a few of the monikers he goes by. In 1975 Marvel introduced: Moon Knight. Making his surprise debut app
Jonathan Barnett
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The origins of Marvel Comic’s Moon Knight are told, re-told, ret-conned and builds up into his own series.

This is by and large a fun collection of early appearances, shorts stories, and ones shots. If one is fascinated to see how a character can change in a short amount of time, then this is a good volume to read and gaze. The exploits include special appearances with Werewolf by Night, Spider-Man, The Thing, and The Hulk (from a Black and White magazine). Almost all of the issues are written b
Robert Dennis
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This volume collects the early appearances of the Moon Knight, from his appearance as a villain-of-the month in Werewolf by Night #32-33, to his first solo appearances in Marvel Spotlight and Rampaging Hulk magazine to his own series. Reading this collection shows the extreme growth the character made under the eye of writer Doug Moench and later artist Bill Sienkiewicz, taking him from a white cowled Batman rip-off to his own identity. One of my favorite characters as a kid, this book is a perf ...more
Jordan Risebury-Crisp
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great trawl through the early days of Moon Knight. From guest-star to mysterious, schizophrenic leading protagonist, Moon Knight, Marc Spector, Steven Grant and Jake Lockly are an interesting character to step out from Marvel's late 70s horror genre.

The majority of stories work really well here in the black and white format and it was great to see Sienkiewicz's talent develop over months as the series progresses.

A good introduction to the character and a must read for anyone who enjoys Moon Kn
Rexhurne
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I liked his origin story were he was a mercenary and got power from an Egyptianlike god (the one in his own title not the ones at the start that kept changing). That however, was the only interesting part. The rest felt a bunch of knockoff, less interesting Batman stories of the same era. It doesn't surprise me that this writer went to the Batman title a couple of years later, they're really similar. ...more
Fil
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A blatant Batman rip-- I mean homage. I read these as comics and in the larger magazine format years ago and enjoyed them again now. The Marvel Essential series gives you access to a lot of hard to find or expensive comics in each volume. I grumble from time to time about them being printed in black and white, but in Moon Knight, it fits with the character and the duotone overlays in the artwork.
Kaiulani
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting to see the evolution of Moon Knight’s origin. Some definite wandering at first but, the 10 issues of the debut series reconcile most of the loose ends and the Sienkiewicz art is fantastic.
Will Cooper
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting character, multiple identities and it starts really delving into that halfway through the main series. A little dated.
Jason Luna
May 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
There are two parts to this book: Moon Knight as a newly originated superhero, making guest spots in other people's magazines (decent), and Moon Knight's solo adventures (total crap)

Even the crossovers with regular superheroes aren't that great. It's like Spider-Man is on the trail of Cyclone and the Maggia, or The Thing is on the trail of Crossfire, and Moon Knight also wants to show up and punch people. His action aesthetic is minimal (floats around and punches people).

Probably the best part o
j_ay
Jul 16, 2008 rated it liked it
While I do have most (if not all) of the Sienkiewicz issues I did actually purchase this trade (I’m not big on collected editions of comics) for the sole reason to see the work in black and white (much preferred).
Aside from the first 10 issues of MK, which is great to see Sienkiewicz really coming into his own (most notably on the covers and issues 3, 9 and 10, where is he inking himself), it’s vaguely amusing to see some of the early stories (in Hulk Magazine, etc).

All in all the stories are n
Todd
This is a tough book to judge.

One of the reviews here complains that every issue resets everything to a happily-ever-after vibe that then has to be destroyed by the emergency in the next issue, and that's true of course but that's really a side-effect of the Comic Code Authority and it's extremely rigid requirements. It's hard to hold mandates against an individual writer.

The art is really impressive, especially for being without color.

It's pretty crazy reading these early issues and trying to n
Gary Lee
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
I tried.
I really did.
But I just couldn't stick with this one.

Weird, choppy writing; triple identities; no basic plot to be found.
But then again, I only made it through the first 3-4 issues found within. It may have started to get better further in, but I just didn't have the patience to make it that far.
Devero
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Di qualità altalenante, questo essential contiene però alcune perle di forza e drammaticità non indifferenti, tra cui il confronto mortale tra Marc Spector ed il Killer con la scure, il suo folle psicolabile fratello.
Tyson
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
My review here ...more
Ira Livingston
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
He has always been my favorite superhero. Marvel equivalent of Batman.
Danton Steele
Nov 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
the readers reviews show how awful the authors are
Craig Tyler
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comicbooks
I have been of moon knight since I picked up issue 12 in the early eighties. Reading all the stories before that issue as well as seeing some great artwork, made this a great read.
Kevin Huynh

• Remina
  • Showcase Presents: Booster Gold, Vol. 1
  • Invincible, Vol. 9: Out of This World
  • Invincible, Vol. 8: My Favorite Martian
  • Invincible, Vol. 10: Who's the Boss?
  • Invincible, Vol. 7: Three's Company
  • Invincible, Vol. 6: A Different World
  • Five Children and It (Five Children #1)
  • Revenge of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps HorrorLand, #1)
  • Night of the Puppet People (Goosebumps Most Wanted, #8)
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
  • Frankenstein's Dog (Goosebumps Most Wanted, #4)
  • Attack of the Mutant (Goosebumps, #25)
  • Among the Dolls
  • Something Upstairs
  • Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 2
  • The Snow Globe
  • Invincible, Vol. 1: Family Matters
Doug Moench, is an American comic book writer notable for his Batman work and as the creator of Black Mask, Moon Knight and Deathlok. Moench has worked for DC Comics, Marvel Comics, Dark Horse Comics and many other smaller companies; he has written hundreds of issues of many different comics, and created dozens of characters, such as Moon Knight. In 1973, Moench became the de facto lead writer for ...more

Essential Moon Knight (3 books)
  • Essential Moon Knight, Vol. 2