Start by marking “Dead Ahead (Grave Talker, #5)” as Want to Read:
Dead Ahead (Grave Talker, #5)

Dead Ahead

(Grave Talker #5)

Some secrets should stay buried.

After accidentally freeing a demon, ticking off the werewolf alpha, and possibly inciting a war, Darby Adler’s Warden job is in serious peril.

With the council up in arms and a literal god on her doorstep, Darby needs to figure her life out and pronto.

If she can’t, losing her job might be the least of her problems.
Published February 22nd 2022 by Annie Anderson

To ask other readers questions about Dead Ahead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Ahead

Start your review of Dead Ahead (Grave Talker, #5)
Regina Brytowski
This author writes characters like they're people you actually know. This series is no exception.

One of my biggest complaints in paranormal/fantasy type books is there is hardly ever any real character growth. More often than not the character is STILL making the same mistakes in book 5 that she was making in book 1. It's frustrating to read. But not this author.

Darby Adler (and all of the supporting characters in this series) are so amazingly REAL. They're actually learning from their mistakes
Michele Weathers
Feb 19, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Omg I feel so much right now. Extreme anger to surprise all the way to wanting to commit murder for Darby and J. As readers we can't help falling in reader love with characters and when a great writer like Annie Anderson writes you immerse yourself in the book and feel like you are one of characters if not the main character. This time Annie Anderson has even out done herself.
I have read all of her Darby Adler series' and Dead Ahead is by far the best, most exciting, exhilarating nerve-racking
Ani Conda
Feb 28, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darby Adler can not catch a break. Her life has been a whirl wind from the first book and a good nights sleep is not on the cards. This latest addition to her story carries all the action and angst I know and love with Annie Anderson. Giving me just the right amount horror and heart, I once again stumbled (not so reluctantly) back into the grave talker world.

My emotions were pulled into this false sense of security, I could feel something brewing then BAM! Heart in a vice grip before being enve
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
5 Cranky Stars

I shouldn't be surprised anymore when I read an Annie Anderson book yet she gets me every single darn time. She warned us that she did something bad but that wasn't what I was expecting. Betrayal and heart break. I mean Darby's heart broke too but so did mine. I even put my kindle down and said are you freaking kidding me? It's not a Darby book if she doesn't have a demon to slay or a rogue supernatural to hunt down.

Darby just wants a vacation and to just relax and possibly get mo
The Queen Of Swords
It was the evening of February 28th when I realised the 5th book in the Grave Talker series was about to be published, and there was an ARC copy I could review. Annie Anderson's series already was on my TBR for 2022, so I decided to go for it. Meaning I had to start book #I on March 1st and finish #2 to #5 plus the review a mere two days later – without having full days to do so. I am a very fast reader, even in English, but this would only work if the series, and consequently book #5, would be ...more
Lene Blackthorn
Darby's story is back, and if you expect she finally gets a break or at least one part of her life gets stable, you are severely mistaken. Aemon is free and missing, his daddy dearest would like to have him found, the council wants Darby for another reason and if that wasn't enough, even her personal life is slowly falling apart. Would there be actually any allies left, dead or alive, at the end of the day? Although, if Darby wants to go for the "alive", she would need to fight really hard to ac ...more
Kathy Wideman
This is the fifth book in this series. They need to be read in order. It doesn’t seem like Darby can catch a break. One day as Warden and she has managed to piss off an alpha, freed a demon, and maybe started a war. The council wants answers and a god wants her to find his son. Then there is Bishop, Darby’s boyfriend. He is acting strangely. A week ago, he was professing to love her and now he is acting like a toddler. This book had me laughing one minute and then wanting to take up the hunt the ...more
Douglas Williamson
Mar 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Things have not exactly gone well for our heroine and now she has several different fires to fight. Can she find a way to juggle all these issues and come out ahead for once? She is not holding her breath...

This is book five of the series. It works pretty well as a standalone. You will be missing a bit of background, but the essential bits are covered early on.

This is an urban fantasy story with a heroine that can speak with the dead. The story is very well written and grabs your attention right
Sue MacKenzie
Mar 12, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Again Adler blew me away with the way she held it all inside but manages to work it all out for everyone else. Even when she is half dead on her feet whether from fighting or just lack of sleep, she just manages to keep going.
Her protectiveness of her family whether by blood or extended is what keeps her going and she doesn't back down from anything. Even if her sister is the angel of death she will still fight to keep her extended family alive.
And she has some bad ass back up to keep her going
K.A. Graham
Dead Ahead (Book 5 in the Grave Talker Series) by Annie Anderson

***5 stars***

Our girl Darby is up to her neck in trouble, yet again, and the Scooby gang is at her side. What would she do without them? I can't even think about that kind of nonsense!

I never cease to be amazed at the chaos and surprises that Annie Anderson throws our way but this one was out of the park crazy!

Big astronomical surprises are revealed, friendships put to the test over life and death, and hearts are broken into smith
Mandy Williams
Mar 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What? Just WHAT did I read in this book. Everything I thought I knew - was wrong. Just when Darby has seen it all, Annie brings another round of chaos into her life. This is book five of this series, so please go back and read them all. Darby is incredibly strong, and in this story, the twists and turns put her through the wringer. Annie created an incredible world with charismatic baddies, mischievous supernatural characters that leave me wondering if they are friend or foe. This story line is ...more
Carol 27
Feb 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing
The story picks up where Dead Shift left off, and we find Darby juggling dire consequences from her confrontation with the local werewolves, a summons by the Arcane Council, aka her new boss and an unexpected hiccup in her personal life. In other words, just another typical day.

This well written urban fantasy features plenty of drama, humour, sarcasm, action & adventure, some magic, mystery, and violence, along with some surprises. I’m looking forward to the final installment in this twisty, ent
Alexandra
Mar 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Annie Anderson has a way with words and world building. Her characters have a way of just gripping the reader and catching their attention. Darby, poor sweet Darby just can't catch a break. This book picks up immediately after the end of book four, boy was this a doozy. It was crazy action packed, and full of twists and turns. I was excited to see Sloane make an appearance as Darby gets to work on the designated task from the Council. I was not expecting the big twist, and should have probably p ...more
Michelle
Mar 16, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Darby's back in Dead Ahead book five in the Grave Talker series. I am loving this series and all the wicked twists happening. I'm having trouble figuring out what to put in my review because I don't want to ruin this series for anyone. But I will say that I couldn't put this book down and with every twist and turn I was pulled into the story. I didn't stop reading until the last page and after that cliffhanger ending, I can't wait to read the next book in the series. I voluntarily reviewed a cop ...more
Spinneretta
Feb 27, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

This is book five in the Grave Talker series, and it picks up where book four left off. It is NOT a standalone and it ends with a book-hook cliffhanger. If you haven’t read the Soul Reader series, (which you should as they are interlinked) be warned, this one will have some spoilers for that series.

Darby Adler’s life has changed massively in the past few years. Once a cop, she’s now the supernatural warden for the area, and has suffered some big losses recently.
Now she’s in trouble with the
Tami
Feb 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darby is up to her ears in trouble! There is a god demanding she help him find his son, the son wants help finding someone, her boyfriend is acting all weird, the wolf pack she tangled with is upto no good again, and she just can't seem to catch any breaks. She gets summoned by The Council to explain her actions as Warden when she's had the illustrious job for a whole 24 hours! She's not having a good day! She takes on all troublemakers and helps out a little boy, too! And gotta love Hildy! What ...more
Beverly Laude
Feb 22, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Darby Adler has been a Warden for the ABI for less than 24 hours, but things quickly went downhill in her new position. After being possessed by a demon and watching herself kill several innocents under his influence, she doesn't see how things could get much worse. But, readers of this series (and followers of this author) know that things can always get worse and usually do!

For some reason, Darby's "boyfriend", Bishop Le Doux, is actually like a complete douche and Darby tells him to get lost
Christinaraven
Feb 22, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Darby Adler is back with all her friends and enemies for another amazing couple days in her crazy life. It was a riot and wildly entertaining and full of action, ,danger, and a few surprises. And I loved it and could not put it down it was so good. And the surprise ending was awesome and not what I was expecting. Lots of battle and people driving her crazy as usual. Fingers crossed everyone made it to the end alive and hoping others were dead by the end. I laughed and groaned but was entertained ...more
Talona
Feb 25, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisted to its core

I found Annie Anderson through Kindle unlimited. Well I have not been disappointed at all. I still love Max ❤ best... Sloane is 2nd but man Ms. Annie is making it hard to not love Darby. Dead Ahead takes Darby on a ride I did not even begin to imagine. Dam it, going to have to buy a bigger bookcase so I can buy real, in my hand, books, to make sure I ALWAYS will have Darby, Sloane and Max in my life.
Alina
Feb 26, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could this series get any better?! (I'm pretty sure it can). The fifth book in the series and Dead Ahead is dead on in the laughs, action, and entertainment department. Darby is feeling the pinch of consequences from the last book and the walls are closing in. But not fear, our girl has it handles...maybe?!
Either way, fins out in this new installment in the Grave Talker Series. You wont be disappointed.
Heather
Mar 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Annie has done it again! The newest entry in Darby’s saga is just as good, and honestly better than, the preceding titles. Same snark and humor but with more darkness and grit thrown in. I will say that this one may be triggering for a few people but is definitely worth the pain.

Angi
Mar 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Oh Boy! This one is by far the best in the series. There are so many surprises and twists, my head was spinning and waiting for the next one. I just couldn't believe the way some things worked out. Poor Darby has been through so much and now THIS!? I can't spoil it, I can't! You will be as surprised as I was. Go read this awesome book! ...more
Sissy Satterfield
Feb 22, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This is one action packed story full of everything I look for in a Great Read! Humor, action and the next thing coming is a real surprise, I really need more, now! This picked up where Dead Shift left off without missing a beat. Darby just can't seam to catch a real break, but I cheer for her anyway. Good Book! I Loved It!!

Melanie R
Feb 24, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable Paranormal

I was torn with the latest book in this series. I was hoping that Bishop would redeem himself, but unfortunately Darby’s friends were right and he was not good for her. I do see a new love interest for her in future books and can’t wait to see how that develops. Can’t wait for the next installment in the series.
Sandy Schleich
Mar 13, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was pretty good. Just like the other books in the series there is a lot of humor. There were also some places that were a little bit sad. I really like Darby and her friends. Now that her sister is the angel of death she can be a pretty big bad ass. I also love Darby‘s grandfather even though he’s a ghost. I’m definitely looking forward to the next book in the series.
Kim Shelton
Feb 22, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! I don’t know how Annie does it, but each book is better than the last, and you truly don’t see the twists coming. One’s like this make you go back and reread the previous books to try and figure out how you missed it. I absolutely recommend all of Annie’s books, and can’t wait for Darby’s next book.
Angie Bartley
Mar 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This book absolutely blew me away. I won't post any spoilers but all I can say is I can't believe what has really been happening. It made me want to cry for Darby. This book shows how strong Darby really is and how many friends she really has ...more
Nadine Weldon
Mar 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Consistently fabulous

This series doesn't suck you in slowly, it grabs you by your shirt and yanks. And I am thrilled. Downside, I have to wait for the next one. Upside, there will be a next one. Thank you for sharing your stories.
Kelly
Mar 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Darby, Darby, Darby — what are we going to do with you?

I love Darby but good grief does she have problems. More twists and turns than you can imagine in a fast paced read you won’t be able to put down. This is a series and you MUST read them in order or you’ll miss half the fun. Great read, great characters and a ton of trouble.
J Young
What a great series!

It’s been a rough week for the new Warden of Knoxville and Darby is over it. One more word and Darby was going to punch this God in the face!

I love this action-packed series! It’s full of intrigue and surprises. I received an advance copy but my review is honest and voluntary. This is a great series!
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add Book to Series 2 12 Nov 16, 2021 03:04AM

• Black Wings, Gray Skies (Black Hat Bureau, #4)
  • Beautiful Madness (Kait Silver #5)
  • Daddy Darkest (A Katie Bishop Novel Book 8)
  • The Hob and Hound Pub (Sam Quinn, #4)
  • Bounty Captured (Solstice Huntress #3)
  • Rebel Magic (The Witches of Hollow Cove Book 9)
  • Hellcrossed (Raven Cursed #5)
  • Kelpies Don't Fly: A Paranormal Suspense Novel with a Touch of Romance (Valkyrie Bestiary Book 5)
  • Bounty Claimed (Solstice Huntress #2)
  • Bad Medicine (Kait Silver #4)
  • One Knight Stand (Midnight Empire: The Tower, #4)
  • Glimmer of Death (The Other Realm #3)
  • Glimmer of Hope (The Other Realm #2)
  • The Shade of Things (Magic After Midlife #5)
  • Luck of the Demon (Deals with Demons #4)
  • Bad Kitty (Cat McKenzie #5)
  • Deadly Knight (Midnight Empire: The Tower, #3)
  • Blood of the Wicked (Everly Abbott, #2)
See top shelves…
Annie Anderson is the author of the international bestselling Rogue Ethereal series. A United States Air Force veteran, Annie pens fast-paced Urban Fantasy novels filled with strong, snarky heroines and a boatload of magic. When she takes a break from writing, she can be found binge-watching The Magicians, flirting with her husband, wrangling children, or bribing her cantankerous dogs to go on a w ...more

Grave Talker (7 books)
  • Dead to Me (Grave Talker, #1)
  • Dead and Gone (Grave Talker, #2)
  • Dead Calm (Grave Talker #3)
  • Dead Shift (Grave Talker, #4)
  • Dead Wrong (Grave Talker #6; Arcane Souls World, #9)
  • Dead and Buried (Grave Talker, #7; Arcane Souls World #10)

News & Interviews