Start by marking “The Bone Garden” as Want to Read:
The Bone Garden

The Bone Garden

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Dorothea Puente was that rarest of murderers: a female serial killer. On a fall day in l988, police in Sacramento, California began digging up the backyard of a quaint Victorial boardinghouse run by Puente. Before the weekend was over, the police had unearthed seven badly decomposed bodies. This shocking story of murder for profit was written by William Wood, the Deputy D. ...more
Published July 1st 2004 by iBooks (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Bone Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bone Garden

Lynne
I'm giving this book 4 stars. Not because of the subject matter but because of the writing itself. At first, I was worried it might be boring, stiff and read like a movie script. Instead it was a well put together timeline of Dorthea Puente's crime spree in addition to being a well written semi-biography of a woman whose outer appearances belied what evil lurked beneath.

I've bookmarked two passages from this book.
page 79: Puente, always hard to unravel, was a contradictory collection of compassi
Wendy
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
very matter of fact account of a woman who goes from bad to worse....ends up killing elderly people at her board and care for their social security checks..and burying them in her garden.
This is a true story!I gave it 2 stars because it is not a very interesting read and once you know where it is going (right away) there is nothing intriguing about it. Maybe I just dont like the genre, like reality tv
Kate
True crime about a woman who ran a boarding house for the elderly... then killed them and took their social security money. Pretty interesting, since there aren't too many examples of female serial killers.
Renee
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this complimentary book as a First Read book from William P. Wood via Good Reads. Thank you, William, for writing such an enjoyable book. Quite often, I look at elderly couples who look so sweet and innocent and wonder how all grandparents earned that aura when many were mean, short-tempered, lacked morals, or even worse - committed serious crimes. The Bone Garden, written by William P. Wood, confirms that my thoughts are not unique. "She looked like everyone's grandmother: white-hair ...more
SouthWestZippy
What a horrible crime. Dorothea Puente was suppose to be a caretaker for the elderly but instead murdered them for their money.
William Wood is the Deputy D.A. who prosecuted Puente for drugging and robbing elderly people in earlier time and case.
Way to many details in case and not enough details on some of the victims background.
Aspasia
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An accounting of the murders Dorothea Puente committed but was only convicted for 3 out 9 murders due to a hung jury. The cliche "appearances can be deceiving" definitely applies here. Wood details why and how Puente selected her targets. Courtroom scenes in the book were a bit dry but overall it was an interesting read.
Michelle
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, interesting read. It read fast and easy-it gives you a lot of information but it flows seamlessly from one page to the next so you never feel lost and you never have to go back and read something you might have missed. Very good.
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very well written, I highly recommend this book.
Kim
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a true story of a female serial killer in the 1980's. I loved this book - and I don't think I will ever forget the ending. Nightmares are coming for sure.
paulabaisden
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book..

You need to read this true crime book. Makes you think and see what a evil person does even if they look like grandma dearest.
Julie Mayes
Jul 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Hard to believe this grandma looking woman murdered so many people & she feels that SHE is the victim. I think because she poisoned them, she doesn't feel responsible for their deaths.
Wendy
Jun 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
I can't believe I read this, but it happened around the corner from where I live now, and I can't help it, I'm interested.
Amanda Keith
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book entails an elderly serial killer from California who buries her victim in her yard.
Dennis
Meaningful - 1
Accessible - 5
Andrea
Apr 09, 2007 rated it liked it
A great book if you're interested in the legal system and how it works. It's also crazy to think a 60 year old woman was capable of such cruelty.
Jessica
Valoree
Jan 31, 2015
Debbie Whitson
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent! It was hard to put it down,especially at the beginning. Loved it.
fabienne
Kelly Long
Jan 04, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
The Bone Garden 1 1 Jun 24, 2014 03:28PM
Obsessed with Tru...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Has anyone read this book? 5 90 Mar 14, 2012 04:12PM
  • The Woodchipper Murder
  • On the Verge (Sisters Series, #3)
  • The House in the Old Wood (The Day Magic Died, #1)
  • The Dating Game Killer: The True Story of a TV Dating Show, a Violent Sociopath, and a Series of Brutal Murders
  • The Prince of Paradise: The True Story of a Hotel Heir, His Seductive Wife, and a Ruthless Murder
  • Laci: Inside the Laci Peterson Murder
  • The Pentrals (The Pentrals, #1)
  • Josie Jameson and the Fourth Tombstone (The Stone Witch #1)
  • The Twenty (Barronlands Trilogy, #1)
  • Just Add Magic
  • Witch: The True Story of Las Vegas' Most Notorious Female Killer
  • Obitchuary
  • Killer Image (Allison Campbell Mystery #1)
  • Picture Perfect: The Jodi Arias Story
  • I Would Find a Girl Walking
  • Sex and the City Uncovered: Exposing the Emptiness and Healing the Heartbreak
  • The Spanish Inquisition: A History
  • DIY Nail Art: Easy, Step-by-Step Instructions for 75 Creative Nail Art Designs
WILLIAM P. WOOD is the author of nine thrillers and one nonfiction book. As a deputy district attorney in California, he handled thousands of criminal cases ranging from disturbing the peace to murder. He served as chief counsel to the Secretary of State of California, the Commissioner of the California Department of Corporations, and the Undersecretary of the Office of Secretary of State.

Wood's l
More about William P. Wood...