Start by marking “No Place To Hide” as Want to Read:
No Place To Hide

No Place To Hide

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  149 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
George Orwell envisioned Big Brother as an outgrowth of a looming totalitarian state, but in this timely survey Robert O'Harrow Jr. portrays a surveillance society that's less centralized and more a joint public/private venture. Indeed, the most frightening aspect of the Washington Post reporter's thoroughly researched and naggingly disquieting chronicle lies in the matter ...more
Published (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about No Place To Hide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Place To Hide

Charles
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some very interesting information, especially for a writer who wants to know how to locate and identify someone through their daily activities. But after the first chapter or two, which are very engaging, the writing degenerates into "report" style and I found myself skimming.
Hawthorn
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The basics are these: companies you do business with (cell phone companies, grocery stores, banks, internet providers, credit card companies) are gathering vast amounts of information about you, and storing it in databases. The data they're gathering is far beyond what you'd expect them to keep -- where you go, what you purchase, how fast you drive, the digital imprint of your voice, facial recognition, the names of your friends and family, the price of your home, when you deposit your checks an ...more
Donna
Jan 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
QUOTE: “Think about your daily routine, and you will begin to understand….When you wake up and sign on to the Internet and browse the Web, companies record where you go, the pages you access, anything you order or buy. If you go to a newspaper site, it records everything you read, because you have voluntarily registered and they know who are you [sic:]. Suppose you turn on your TiVo machine? That act is being recorded. So is the fact that you’re watching last night’s Daily Show.

“You use your deb
Kristina
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about this author on The Dianne Rehm show (http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/201...). I was reticent to read his book since technology evolves briskly and the book is over 7 years old; however, it was well worth the time invested. Many of the companies discussed have been bought out by larger players and it is interesting to visit this subject with the benefit of hindsight. Although the few references to the PalmPilot made me giggle a little, the bulk of the information made me cri ...more
Harvey
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- O'Harrow (a Washington Post Reporter and a Pulitzer Prize finalist) lays out, in unnerving detail, the rapidly expanding social entity that is the 'security industrial complex'
- "When you use your cell phone, the phone company knows who you are, where you are, and who you are calling. If you use a discount card, your grocery and prescription purchases are recorded, profiled, and analyzed. Many new cars have built-in devices that enable companies to track from afar - details about your movement
Rory Cooney
I made the mistake of trying to approach this is an audiobook. It's got important information in it, everyone should know the material, but after the opening section, which reads like a page turner, an espionage thriller, it degenerates into commentary backed by the reading of memo after memo chock-full of acronyms and redaction. It becomes unlistenable about a quarter of the way through the book. I suspect that watching the movie "citizen four" would be a better use of a person's time. I do not ...more
Heather West
Jun 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: internettech
This is a scary look at privacy in this country. O'Harrow focusses on the private companies that buy, sell, and analyze our personal data- usually without your knowledge. From this data, they decide whether you are a terrorist, whether your purchase was fraudulent, or whether you are too risky for insurance.

This information industry would not be nearly as worrisome if it were properly regulated. However, in a clear conflict of interest, the government does not regulate these industries. Instead,
Wayland Smith
This was a very well researched (and somewhat scary) study of the many ways people lose privacy in the modern era. It's not a reassuring book, but it's relevant despite being a few years old. Many might think it's no longer relevant, but I'd say it's still worth reading.

Great if you're interested in the ramifications of the digital age, less so if you don't want to think about how vulnerable most of us are these days.
Rob T
Nov 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story, but not as prescriptive as I hoped and somewhat dated. I was intrigued to learn that law enforcement is circumventing rules around data collection by sourcing data from third parties, but in a world where the NSA has access to AT&T's Internet backbone (Room 641A) and the FBI argues before the Supreme Court that they can place GPS devices on personal property without a warrant then there's nothing in this book to shock or surprise--only things to dismay.
Katie
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must-read for those interested in data privacy, and the idea that such a thing exists. I read this while taking a media law and ethics class, and it really opened my eyes to what companies are doing behind the scenes.

I wouldn't say this is a "fun" read, but it's certainly informative and a little bit scary.
Tasha
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-have-a-dream
o.k. so i know some people are really nervous about who's watching and what info. are the looking to take from me.... i think you should be somewhat aware of what's going but this was a little too much info. for what I was looking for.

it would i guess make a good reference book for a writer who wants to know different ways to locate a person, learn about them etc.
Heather
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I didn't read every word, I'll admit, but it was a very interesting and well-researched book. It is about the lack of privacy in our society, and has some intriguing stories of identity thefts, corrupt use of personal information, and the technology and businesses that support data mining.
Cara
Mar 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating but terrifying book about surveillance technology in our society. It gives you a behind-the-scenes look at personal data collection centers, explores the lives of people who suffer from identity theft, and shows how 9/11 played a huge role in the explosion of high-tech surveillance.
Frederick Bingham
A polemic about the power of government and private sector data-gathering capabilities.I wish it had more useful information about ho to make our personal information private in this age of total intrusions
Ryan Mac
Dec 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disturbing but fascinating at the same time. This book discusses the vast amount of information about all of us that government along with private entities have in huge databases. Not a book for a paranoid individual.
Carol
Big brother is watching. Find out who knows what about whom and how in this shocking, enlightening book that reads more like a thriller than an expose.
Linda
Sep 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skimmed over this book which I think would be a good thing for most of us to do. . .just to be familiar with how little our privacy is protected.
Debbi
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YIkes. Everyone should read this so they can learn how to protect themselves and what NOT to do!
Flora Nunes
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not only great compilation of the Snowden leaks, but also a good reflection on the importance of privacy and the role of the media in helping regulate government. Everyone should read it!
Jim
Jul 14, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
referred tt by Jeffrey Deaver in Broken Window about identity theft and shades of Big Brother as a good book about topic
Jessica
Best read in small doses, so as to prevent aneurysms caused by anger at short-sighted government.
Ann
Mar 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The gig is up. The FBI knows I always request an aisle seat when I fly, that I order vegetarian pizza and wear Birkenstocks.
Stephanie
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first clue that privacy was a myth. Recommended by my government documents professor.
Chuck Bradley
Sep 06, 2011
Matthew Squire
Jul 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Puzzle Palace: Inside the National Security Agency, America's Most Secret Intelligence Organization
  • Science and Technology in World History: An Introduction