Start by marking “The Witness” as Want to Read:
The Witness

The Witness

Police Chief Luke Granger's witness to a murder, Amy Griffin, has been on the run for years. Her family thinks she was murdered eight years ago, but Amy chose to accept a life in the shadows in order to protect her sisters' lives. Now unveiled secrets about their father have thrust the sisters into the public spotlight. The man who wants Amy dead now sees her sisters as ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Tyndale House Publishers

Start your review of The Witness
Olivia
Those who loved her O'Malley series, will find this nearly equal in quality. It is intense, draws your attention from the first page, and makes you keep reading. I really enjoyed this!!

What I liked:
-The first chapter. WOW! It pulls you in right away. I had a hard time putting it down after that.
-The sisters. Love them. I can so understand how it feels being far away from a sister and my throat choked up on the reunion.
-Marsh and Conner. Before their POV's were introduced, I really liked Luke,
Sid Frost
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I must admit this is the first Dee Henderson book I've read so I didn't know what to expect. I bought it because it was said to be a Christian romance thriller. It begins with a bang and I couldn't put the book down for the first quarter or so. Then, it seems to go into slow motion for the next fifty percent or so. Then it kicks in again for the close. I was okay with the resolution of the story, unlike other reviewers. I didn't spot the lack of editing as some have reported, but I was ...more
Beth Peninger
I have read two other series of Dee Henderson's and have enjoyed her immensely because she, like Francine Rivers, came to Christian fiction from secular writing. So her stories always manage to stay further away from the sappy kind of Christian stuff that can be out there. Plus Henderson is super interested in heroes/law enforcement/crime solving and as I am too her books become an even bigger draw for me. Unfortunately something has changed with Henderson or her publisher or someone because ...more
Loraine
Dee Henderson has done it once again. This "can't-put-the-book-down" thriller has a strong storyline and well developed characters. The 7 main characters: three closely bonded sisters, their romantic interests, and their cousin are creatively crafted. The story line hooks you from page 1 with numerous twists and turns that keep the reader turning pages.
Samantha
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
I was really unsure of this book after reading some of the reviews. I had gotten into the O'Malley series and loved the True Heroes series. So I gave it a shot and I'm glad I did. I liked the character development in this book and feel that it is probably the first book of a new series. I think Ms. Henderson was trying to get everyone introduced and page time. I enjoyed the bond that the chief and Amy had together. As others have stated this isn't a preachy book, but I did like how she wove God ...more
Lynnea
Nov 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
THE WITNESS was very good - hard to put down at times. I liked the mix of mystery and romance, although the romance part was extremely predictable. The "Christian Fiction" category is a bit misleading - it's not Christian Fiction in the same sense as Karen Kingsbury or Janette Oke. Henderson's characters mention God every once in a while but Christianity is not the basic theme throughout the book.

This is the first Dee Henderson book I have read and now I will have to find more.
Martha
I really liked this book. Although it is listed as a romance, I felt the romance was more low-key. The inspiration aspects were even more low-key, but still definitely there. To me, the more major aspect of the book was the suspense, and that kept me wanting to know what would happen next.
Lou
I really enjoy the mystery parts but I felt bored when the romantic scenes began. Male characters were too idealistic and although it's a fiction novel, I felt it too surreal. However, I liked the plot and the suspense had a good pace.
Miss Clark
Mar 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
I honestly was not interested by this book and while there was nothing downright objectionable with it, I still would not recommend it. It was plain boring and I did not much care for the characters.
Mollie
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, mystery
I couldn't put it down. Don't start it late at night.
Karen
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
A Christian romance mystery suspense novel...what could go wrong there?
Amy is running from her past and someone who wants her dead. Luke, the chief of police who fell for her instantly and has had a torch for her for years, finally meets up with her again when her sisters inherit a large...I mean huge...amount of money and become targets for someone out to kill them. Conveniently one of the sisters is dating Connor, one of the police working for Luke, and Connor's partner, Marsh can't help but
Victoria
I really felt this book was just long-winded, if that makes any sense. Their wasn't enough action/suspense, the only reason I kept reading was because I wanted to see if my suspicions about the bad guy was right and they were. :D Although I did enjoy the characters immensely. If you want to read a romance book with a slight mystery thread, this would be right for you.
Laura Waxman
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I get into a Henderson kick about twice a year and I think this book was a good one to start off with. I'd never read it before and enjoyed the suspense and the sweet (if slightly unrealistic) romances. What I would really like to know, is if we ever see any of these characters again in another novel? I would love to see Caroline again, especially.
Phillip
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book, The Witness by Dee Henderson is about Amy Griffin, the witness to a murder has been running away for many years now. Her family thinks that she is dead. She is okay with that because that means her loved ones aren't in danger. The man that has been on a mission to kill her believes that he can use her sister's locations to find her. Luke, the Police Chief, and his other two detectives are willing to risk their lives to keep all the sisters alive. Their urge to keep them alive is not ...more
AlixJamie
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Audrey
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three sisters and more money than they know what to do with. Somebody is after their cash and will kill them to get it. Three cops who are determined to protect them. This thrilling book lingered in my mind and wouldn't let go.
Rebecca (whenallotherlightsgoout)
2.5stars
This book was slow and disappointing for a Dee Henderson book. It actually started off well. Even though I am not one for much romance in my novels, I did not mind it here. It was actually kinda fun. It was not a love at first sight thing (something I detest) but grew over time. Not exactly the most believable situation, but still fun.

Now, the mystery. The mystery was quite lacking. It cropped up now and then, but was more of a backdrop to the story. I was supposed to feel that it
Whitney
Jun 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was the last Dee Henderson book I read. Her earlier books aren't just tremendous but they have some good movement and at least a veneer of characterization. in The Witness the characters were static and had no personality. I actually kept forgetting which girl was which because they were exactly the same. You could pick up the dialogue and drop it into anyone else's mouth and it would fit. The plot itself isn't bad, Ms. Henderson has a knack for coming up with suspenseful and exciting ...more
Mary
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-reading
This book was good! Told the story of one sister who witnessed a shooting several years ago and was presumed dead as she was hit, too. Several years later, she is working at a jewelry store and it's robbed and she saw the robber. Turns out, her family has thought she was dead all these years since they hadn't heard from her. She kind of formed a bond of sorts with a police officer and then she disappeared again. He was hoping to see her sometime. Her sisters inherited an obscene amount of money ...more
Stacey
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
This was the first (and possibly last) book by Henderson that I have read/listened to. The book started out at a quick pace and I looked forward to the next disk. But 3/4 of the way through I started losing interest and then I was terribly dissapointed with the ending. It was as if she tired of writing and just ended the book. In fact, I listened to the last disk a 2nd time just to make sure I hadn't skipped over a few tracks and missed something.
The love story part of the book was a little
Adrienne Testa
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
The story is a bit long but interesting to keep you turning the pages. The story starts where the deputy police chief meets a woman who is witness to a jewelry store killing. She is able to identify the shooter and the police are able to close the case. Unbeknownst to the deputy police chief the woman is on the run for the past eight years, surviving a shooting where her boyfriend was killed. The story fast forward where the deputy police chief become the police chief and she comes back into his ...more
Sara
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable and suspenseful. In regards to the gruesomeness of the details, this book was unlike others of Dee Henderson's and I like that. It was also intersting to have 3 romantic relationships in this book. The story was detailed and had a great twist at the end. I was shocked that a main character was killed off, but it added a new aspect to Henderson's writing. I could see this being a series...if only Dee Henderson would start writing/publish a book again.
Michelle
I did like this book but it seemed kind of forced. I have read the O'Malley series and I liked it better. She tried to keep the plot going and then suddenly decided the book was long enough and just wrapped it up. But the characters and plot idea were interesting. It wasn't very realistic and it was a good light read. It is slated as Christian fiction but the inserts about faith feel forced. God didn't really figure much into the book.
Penny
This is the first Dee Henderson book I've read. I read it for my church book club. The book is very plot-driven, little to no character development. It reminded me of a TV crime/detective show. I enjoy watching those kinds of shows, but not necessarily reading them. I rated it with three stars because it was readable with a good story. It was a bit too simplistic for my taste, however.
Amanda
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
The beginning really pulls you in then the author takes what could have been a cozy mystery or even a thriller mystery and turns it into a 377 page novel. The plot was predictable. The multiple relationships were too much and could have easily been written in a multi-book series. The tragedy unnecessary. Overall, this was my first and last book by this author.
Brittany
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a really good book. I still enjoyed the O'Malley series more, but this one had some good suspense and mystery in it too. There is the subject of an affair, but nothing detailed. Also, I am giving it four stars because it seemed to be dragged out a tad bit in the middle of the book ( in my opinion) .
Stacy
May 26, 2009 rated it liked it
A book I checked out of the library, as I had read another by this author and liked it. I enjoyed this as much as the first - sort of a Christian based murder mystery/whodunit kind of book. Lots of good relationship stuff thrown in too, so it was right up my alley as a good, easy read. I'll look for more by this author to read...
LeAnn
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book is very well written, i like when they changed from one charator to the next with out it getting boring. i cuaght my attention right away when i was reading it, the first sentence was by far the best.
Shalonda Williams-McClendon
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-read
This book was awesome. I caught me right away! The courtship was great. There was sadness and heartache, but much joy. The story was great.
Katie
Sep 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Really liked it. A little suspense without being scared. This is the first Henderson book I read.

• Fatal Judgment (Guardians of Justice, #1)
  • Predator
  • When a Heart Stops (Deadly Reunions, #2)
  • Trapped (Private Justice, #2)
  • In Harm's Way (Heroes of Quantico, #3)
  • Deadly Pursuit (Guardians of Justice, #2)
  • Vanished (Private Justice, #1)
  • Blind Spot (Chesapeake Valor, #3)
  • When the Smoke Clears (Deadly Reunions, #1)
  • When a Secret Kills (Deadly Reunions, #3)
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
  • Still Life (Chesapeake Valor, #2)
  • Tangled Webs (Men of Valor, #3)
  • Silenced (Alaskan Courage, #4)
  • Buried Secrets (Men of Valor, #1)
  • Code of Ethics (Blue Justice, #2.5)
  • Trial by Fire (Newpointe 911 #4)
  • Dead Drift (Chesapeake Valor, #4)

Dee Henderson is the author of 24 novels, including Immortality, An Unfinished Death, Taken, Unspoken and the acclaimed O’MALLEY series. Several titles have appeared on the USA Today Bestseller list; Full Disclosure has also appeared on the New York Times Bestseller list. Her books have won or been nominated for
“Or you just not ask her."
"You might as well slit my throat.”
17 likes
“Life flows swiftly by and sometimes through tragedies, but it keeps flowing on.” 15 likes