Start by marking “Skylark Three (Skylark, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Skylark Three

E.E. "Doc" Smith

Skylark Three (Skylark #2)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,115 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The first of the mighty Skylark spacecraft took Dick Seaton and Mark Crane to the strange planet of Osnome. Skylark Two returned them to Earth. Now, they voyage again to Osnome to meet the staggering threat of war.

En route, Seaton and Crane encounter an alien spaceship. It looms as a peril more deadly than any planetary battle!

In a desperate race to mobilize the scientifi
Mass Market Paperback, 207 pages
Published January 1st 1978 by Jove Books (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Skylark Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skylark Three

Derek
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: space-opera
This is a book entirely devoid of irony. The heroes are upstanding corn-fed Americans, the enemies are dastardly conquest-fueled aliens, the day will be won with the intelligent application of SCIENCE!, and the dialogue is so corny that movie theaters can coat it in nasty ersatz butter sauce and sell it by the fattening tub.

Everything you need to know about Smith's gender politics is shown in an early scene: the menfolk grapple with the fundamental forces of the universe and bend SCIENCE! to the
Johnny
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Although the title of this volume is Skylark Three and would suggest that it is the third novel in the “Skylark” series by E. E. “Doc” Smith, it is actually the second book in the series. The “Three” in the title refers to the third iteration of the eponymous spaceship. From an early novella in Amazing Stories, this is an intriguing episode where an earlier science extrapolates intriguing possibilities. Skylark Three is ultimately based on an ethereal or aethereal cosmic theory (where there is a ...more
Michael Hall
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a classic, and so very enjoyable, Skylark Three gives us another dose of unbelievable and fantastic science that is almost miraculous in it's application. The characters are still larger than life, too perfect, and pompous sounding... but this is still a fun story to read -- even when xenocide is being committed.

More so than in the first book the language and pseudo-science gives a dated feel to Skylark Three and seems to have been written for a younger audience. At the same time how
Jon
Jan 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
All the qualms I had with The Skylark of Space are present in its sequel to an even greater extent. The plot is predictable and boring, the dialogue is laughable, the characters are all one-dimensional, and the author devotes way too much time developing technologies and scientific theories to keep any semblance of an interesting story. Don't waste your time with this one.
prcardi
Storyline: 2/5
Characters: 1/5
Writing Style: 2/5
World: 2/5

After finishing The Skylark of Space I remarked, only partially in jest, that Smith compressed nearly all of science fiction ideas - past and future - into a single, short text. He proved me wrong. What was left out of the first made it into the second, and we get another book of spectacular technological escalation.

Smith seemed to have believed that the minor character development of his first was sufficient to cover this second, and the
Mike
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time deciding on the rating for this book. I would give it 3 stars compared to modern science fiction, but this was written in 1930. For those with an interest in the history of science fiction this one is clearly at least a 4 star book. You can clearly see where the ideas for things like Flash Gordon (four years later) came from. It very much has that same flavor.
The technology descriptions are interesting. "Atomic" power is based on the metal copper. Unlike works from 20 years lat
Joseph Carrabis
It's difficult for me to rate this book "honestly". I read it once as a child, once as a teen and again a few years ago. I was thrilled as a child in the 60s, intrigues as a teen in the early 70s and amused as an adult in the mid 2000s. Wow! I missed all that misogyny and hidden bigoty/prejudice as a child and teen. Or was it simply that's how everyone (in my limited world) thought at the time and therefore it didn't catch me?
But is it a rip-roaring space opera? Oh, yes. A fun (if not necessaril
Scott Gregory
Wasn't as good as the first one in the series. It did keep my interest but was a bit slow at times.
Roddy Williams
‘In this exhilarating sequel to The Skylark of Space, momentous danger again stalks genius inventor and interplanetary adventurer Dr Richard Seaton. Seaton’s allies on the planet Kondal are suffering devastating attacks by the forces of the Third Planet. Even worse, the menacing and contemptuous Fenachrones are threatening to conquer the galaxy and wipe out all who oppose them. And don’t forget the dastardly machinations of Seaton’s arch-nemesis, Du Quesne, who embarks on a nefarious mission of ...more
DavidO
Jun 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Original: I got about halfway through this one and kind of gave up on this series. It's definitely not as good as the Lensmen series, which is little surprise since this was written first. It's main problem is the dialog. Nobody ever spoke like these characters. They sound like rejects from a campy 1930's film. The science part of the science fiction is very dated too and I find it a bit painful to read. I'd rather have less detail on the science fiction then this wildly inaccurate stuff.

New: I
Clint
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This book was much better than the first Skylark book, so much so that I'm going to downgrade my rating of the first one to make enough space between the two of them. It seems like in this book, though still filled with all the insanely bad dialogue and incredibly huge coincidences of the first, Doc Smith was more into pure sci-fi imaginings, the best part of the genre, random, unique alien races, speculative science taken to extremes, etc. You can tell he had a kid's enthusiasm for his work, an ...more
Jack
Nov 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this some 35 years ago. Oh, and all you "college educated kids" have to tone down your patronizing, holier-than-thou, this-is-sexist/racist/dated reviews. It was written before your daddy and mommy (who paid for your college education) was born by a guy that put himself through grad school. Yes, it's dated. Move your narrow brains out of the present and try... TRY... to see it from an historical perspective. I've only given this 3 stars because I read it so long ago I can't remember much ab ...more
Brian
Mar 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all of the E.E. "Doc" Smith SciFi that I could find, growing up. Now, reading Skylark Three again for the first time in perhaps 35 years, I find that it's still a whacking good story. Written at a time when particle physics was barely off the ground, I find that the science is deeply dated. The dialog is a bit repetitive and sensational. But it brings me back 35 years. That's not entirely a bad thing. And it *is* a good story, and extraordinarily progressive and imaginative for it's time.
Jeffrey J
Skylark Three actually reads much better that Book 1. Some much better narrative on the exploration of the Universe and some much more interesting dialog during first contact(s) between Seaton and several alien cultures. You can see shades of the epic scope of the universe and its inhabitants throughout very similar to the Lensman novels that Doc wrote. This also escalated the drama that will come with DuQuesne's next move to best Seaton which was foreshadowed by providing Seaton and the group o ...more
Mark
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
The original space opera series. Certainly not good writing, but vigorous with entertaining 1930's attitudes, pseudo-science, and pseudo-slang.

"Worrying? That bird is simply pulling my cork! I'm so scared he'll kidnap Dottie that I'm running around in circles and biting myself in the small of the back."
bkwurm
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The second book was worse than the first. Just as dated but now the supposedly heroic protagonists quite calmly commit genocide and make themselves effective rulers of the entire galaxy by force. Even for the period this was published, it is hard to see how this could have been considered in any way admirable.
Steve C
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SF historians, E.E. Smith completists
Shelves: science-fiction
This is very early Sciemce Fiction, before the term was even coined. Editorial requirements at the time were for a lot of pseudo-science, even at the expense of the story. I think that explains why this book is virtually unreadable for today's audience. Smith was capable of much better, as he proved with the Lensman series.
Doug Farren
I read this one a LONG time ago. The Skylark series is a classic which I periodically go back and reread every decade or so. The science is outdated and the level of technology is a bit too far-fetched but it's still a classic space opera.
Caleb Wachter
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Going from memory here, but the stars of this book (and I might argue, the entire series) are easily the Fenachrone villains. I would write more, but I honestly don't remember a whole lot of the plot of this one. I do remember this book the most fondly, probably due to the menace of the baddies.
CJ
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just LOVE these vintage Sci-Fi epics!
Lindsay
Jun 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, kindle, z2011
An old-fashioned but enjoyable sci-fi read full of brave heroes, plucky damsels and evil villains.
Chris
Jul 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
See "Skylark of Space." This is as far as I got with Doc Smith, mostly because these books were a little hard to find. Maybe they've been re-issued now.
Kristy
Apr 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is more sciency and less alien-y and battle-y than the first book in the series, but still quite enjoyable.
Kat
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gosh-darn wowie zowie fun, a classic of scientifiction! As corny as a field in Kansas, but a lot of fun.
Peter
Old school Space Opera series written by the doyen of space opera writes - style and content a bit dated now but still an ok read
Timothy Boyd
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is not as awesome as his Lensman series but a very good SiFi series by one of the early masters. Very recommended
Jim
Aug 25, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, 2fiction, 1paper
Not any worse than his others, I guess I just got tired.
bluetyson
Skylark Three by Edward E. Smith (2000)
William Ellern
A very dated yarn.
Steven
Dec 28, 2013
  • The Dragon Lensman (Second Stage Lensman Trilogy, #1)
  • The Brave Free Men
  • Derai (Dumarest of Terra, #2)
  • Key Out of Time (Time Traders / Ross Murdock #4)
  • The Door Through Space
  • Maeve
  • Tunnel Through Time
  • The Early Asimov: Volume 1
  • Islands in the Sky
  • Mission to Universe
  • Empire of the Atom
  • Song of Sorcery (Argonian #1)
  • Through the Eye of a Needle (Needle, #2)
  • The Wolf Worlds (Sten, #2)
  • The Halcyon Drift (Hooded Swan, #1)
Edward Elmer Smith (also E.E. Smith, E.E. Smith, Ph.D., E.E. "Doc" Smith, Doc Smith, "Skylark" Smith, or—to his family—Ted), was an American food engineer (specializing in doughnut and pastry mixes) and an early science fiction author, best known for the Lensman and Skylark series. He is sometimes called the father of space opera.
More about E.E. "Doc" Smith...

Skylark (4 books)
  • The Skylark of Space (Skylark #1)
  • Skylark of Valeron (Skylark #3)
  • Skylark DuQuesne (Skylark #4)