Start by marking “Buying Trouble (Dorina Basarab, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Buying Trouble (Dorina Basarab, #0.5)

Buying Trouble

(Dorina Basarab 0.5)

In Midnight's Daughter, New York Times bestselling author Karen Chance took us to a new corner of Cassie Palmers world and introduced us to the lives of the mysterious vampires who rule the night. Now, read the eSpecial, Buying Trouble, the companion novella to Midnight’s Daughter, and learn why vampires aren't the only creatures to fear.

Claire just wants to keep out of t
Published October 14th 2008 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Buying Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buying Trouble

Mel
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Claire is a null who works at an auction house, just trying to mind her own business, when she discovers that SHE is the one up for sale. In the chaos that ensues, Claire accidentally gets shifted to Faerie with a Light Fey lord by her side. One who she happens to unexplainably find very attractive...

Typical Karen Chance: fast, fun and sexy. The story is set in the Cassie Palmer universe which is wonderfully built. Claire is a bit quirky but very funny. Heidar is just hilarious with his dry Fey
Francais Parker
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
If you follow my reviews, you know the drill! First comes the grades, then any thoughts, gushing or notes I have, and then a ruling for clean-readers.

World-building: A++
Guy Hero: A-
Villains: B-
Love Interests: A-
Feels: A

Great little taste of this universe, I'll be diving in deeper soon and reading the full-length novels in the coming months (hopefully... because my to-read list is forever long).

For you clean-readers: this book DOES have a bit of
Cassie
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Buying Trouble is a prequel novella to the Dorina Basarab series. Dory doesn’t appear in the story, she is mentioned near the end but not by name, it’s told from her best friend Claire’s POV.

Claire is a magical null, she dampens or counters any magic in her vicinity. She is on the run from her family and the Fey her family tried to sell her to working at a shady auction house when her low life boss decides to put her on the auction block too.

In Claire’s wild escape she accidentally ends up in
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this story as part of the On the Prowl anthology

Buying Trouble - Karen Chance 4/5 Stars
This was my second favorite story in the anthology and one I was looking forward to reading as I'm a big fan of Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer series. Claire is a great character & I believe she is Dory's roommate from the Dorina Basarab series but you don't need to have read any of those books to enjoy the story. I loved Heidar, he's probably up there with my favorite leading men from Karen's books.
Anna
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this short story about Claire, the null witch and Dory's room mate who encounters the fey and realises some truths about her own ancestry. I read it as part of the anthology On the Prowl not as a standalone but I've re-entered it here so it shows up on 'my books'as I tend to think of it as Claire's story rather than the Dory prequel.

I found Claire in the Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer series quite endearing so I was pleased she had her own story, even though she had been a relatively minor
Anoolka
I seem to like Karen Chance's short stories more than her full novels. I liked Clare here far more than in the first Dorina book. Fascinating bits of worldbuilding - this universe gets richer and richer and I'd like more from the pov of the fae (especially dragons) and the weres (from the other short stories).
Cons - Very speedy romance and too little family interactions - glossed over first encounter with long lost father and brother... missed opportunity for some interesting stuff, imho.
Mara
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what it has in common with Dorina, as I read Midnight's daughter years ago, and I do not remember all the details. Probably the underground black market, that stirs some memories?
Cute, but little more; with the usual neckbreaking tempo of a Karen Chance's book.
Amy
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dorina-basarab
This book happens in sync with Midnight's Daughter, while listed as a prequel I find that having read Midnight's Daughter first made more sense.

Dory only appears in this story by reference, the main character is Dory's roommate Claire. This story centered on what was happening to Claire while Dory is looking for her in Midnight's Daughter.

In this novella we got to see aspects of the Fey which are the least known about species in this series and the Cassandra Palmer series. It was a refreshing ch
Jessalyn
Fun Novella

This story took a surprising turn for me & I really enjoyed it. It was a quick read & introduced some new characters from/into the Dorina Basarab & Cassie Palmer series. I don't want to ruin the surprised, but it was a fun novella & I'm not yet sure how it is a prequel to Midnight's Daughter, the first book in the Dorina Basarab series, but as I'm reading that book next, I intend to find out pretty quickly.
Jack Vasen
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Despite the unlikely threat of being sold for the purpose of having all her null magic, and he life with it, extracted from her, this is still a fairly lighthearted story. There is a bit of a surprise before the climax.

Claire is a clumsy heroine and seems to cause as much trouble as she frees herself from. Heidar is not much of a hero either, but his heart is in the right place - on Claire's side.

Mature themes: plenty of fantasy violence and some barely explicit sex.
Susan Roe
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short but sweet

Another great instalment of Karen Chance world . I enjoyed reading how Claire had met her Fey Prince.
I've read all Karen Chance books , both Cassie's adventures and Dorys and all the short stories and I have never been disappointed.
Keep the tales coming and I'll keep on buying them
Nicole Luiken
Same world as the Cassie Palmer books, but a different (and new) POV character. Lots of action, twists and a steamy romantic subplot--basically everything I crave in urban fantasy. My only wish is that it had been a little longer.
Sherri
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had thought that I'd read this already, but if I did, I don't remember. This was a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining prelude to the first Dory novel, explaining what, exactly, Dory's roommate is. As well as setting up some of the conflict with the Fae in the first Dory novel.
Kristen
Jan 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: stars-1
I tried reading this short story in the anthology edition called On the Prowl and found myself not interested in it. Second time I read it, I ended up skimming through it again. So this is why I gave it a one star.
Jen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a short story about a Null named Claire and a Fey named Heidar. It's fun, fast and crazy. I wasn't sure where Karen was going with this story. But I wasn't disappointed at all. This is a great story to learn more about Dorys roommate. And her beginnings.
Marian Sellen
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Answers

Well, this answers a lot of questions and defines some interesting characters. Learning about Dory's bff is a fun ride.
Lisa
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Probably the short story I like the most in the On The Prowl anthology, I enjoyed Claire and all the Faerie magic with her adventure. Funny and entertaining.
Elizabeth
2.5 But then I know nothing of this author beyond the novella so it may be that I'd like it more if I'd read the series it's set in.
Sean Talbot
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Wasn't quite as good as the other books and I really am a fan of dorina. I kind of missed that as we really don't see dorina sat all.
Lorie
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Claire's story

I liked seeing this part of the story. I like how the author writes and her pacing. The story was too short
Mari
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Okay. Skimmed a lot.
Natari
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This short novella made me laugh and was pleasantly surprising. Ideal for a holiday read or to pass the time travelling. Or maybe just a cosy night in.
Mary Chancey
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.

This is like all her books, a really good storyline and lots of action. You really get into the character's world.
Shy
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Story in On the Prowl.
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2019-reads
Buying Trouble is technically the first bit of writing for the Dorina Basarab series. It counts as #0.5 in the series though, and it doesn't actually introduce Dory into the mix. Instead it talks about her best friend, Claire, and the mess she manages to get herself into.
As mentioned, this novel introduces Claire. She's a null with a complicated backstory, but that just means she's perfectly suited for this world. Like our other female leads, she doesn't let that hold her back. If anything, it
RikkasaurusReads
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: home-library
Buying Trouble was obviously short but really pleasant. Not amazing. But definitely not terrible.

Buying Trouble was better than the Kit Marlowe short stories (The Gauntlet and The Queen's Witch) but not as good as the short/"deleted scene", Shitty Beer. But that might because of my bias due to Pritkin.

Anyway.

Buying Trouble is the short story taking place before Midnight's Daughter, making it Dorina Basarab #.5 I believe.

It follows Claire, a magical null and showcaser of magical artifacts for
Sandra
Short for $2.99 or in the anthology On the Prowl.

I really liked the first half of this story, it was set in interesting world and the main character was appealing. The whole dragon plot-twist caught me off guard, and took a little while for me to warm up to, although I eventually liked where it went (although it wasn't super surprising). The main thing that bothered me was that after getting involved in these characters lives, the action ends and the story abruptly cuts off in a couple paragraph
Natalie
I really liked this...However, I think it could have been a much longer story and really needed to either be finished from claire's point of view or it needed to be left alone and just told as it was in Dory's book. I really enjoyed the back story but I felt like if we were going to go there-we at least needed to be brought up to speed where we left off in Midnight's Daughter. After finishing this read...I was just left feeling cheated out of the rest of the story and I know I will never get it. ...more
Diane
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it

Novella by Karen Chance, I don't usually go in for Novela's but the reviews for this were very goodand I try and read every thing the KC writes. I enjoyed this very much. About Claire who is a Null...meaning she's immune to magic. She nearly gets auctioned off to her cousin Seb who plans on selling her to Harvesters who want to harvest her magic abilities. Enter a Light Fey Lord Heidar.
They embark on an adventure that they did not ask for. From the human realm to the Fey realm, and not
the frien
Sandra
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why do authors persist in trying to do a full story the size of a novella. Once again this story was too short. I know it's only an interlude between Dorina Barsarab stories, still it gets you hooked then its all over!

I liked what there was of it and if anything it made me want to re-read the 2 Dory books, it's been awhile.

This story is Claire and Heidar, how they met, how they survived and who Claire's real father is revealed.

• Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Wasted (Elemental Assassin, #2.7)
  • An Evening for Vayl and Jaz (Jaz Parks #4.5)
  • Dark Matters (Signs of the Zodiac, #4.5)
  • Bound No More (Jane Yellowrock, #9.2)
  • The Phoenix Illusion (SPI Files #6)
  • The Asylum Interviews: Bronx (The Asylum Tales, #0.5)
  • A Kate Daniels Magic Series Collection (Kate Daniels, #1-5)
  • Originally Human (World of Lupi, #1.5)
  • Another Kind of Dead (Dreg City, #3)
  • Wrecked (Iron Seas, #3.4)
  • Kate's Origin (Curran POV #6)
  • Blade to the Keep (Goddess With A Blade, #2)
  • Crimson Sunrise (Crimson Trilogy #2)
  • Firewalker (Stormwalker, #2)
  • Once Bitten (Haven, #1)
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in ...more

Dorina Basarab (4 books)
  • Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1)
  • Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • Shadow's Bane (Dorina Basarab, #4)