Start by marking “Bark, George” as Want to Read:
Bark, George

Bark, George

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  12,722 Ratings  ·  641 Reviews
"Bark, George," says George's mother, and George goes: "Meow," which definitely isn't right, because George is a dog.

And so is his mother, who repeats, "Bark, George." And George goes, "Quack, quack."

What's going on with George? Find out in this hilarious new picture book from Jules Feiffer.
Published June 3rd 1999 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Bark, George, please sign up.

Tyler Jones
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I occasionally find myself reading children's books to large gatherings of toddlers, moms and nannies. Life is odd, no? Madly trying to find something I had not read a hundred times before, I tried out this one and it was a smash hit. It is fairly short, so if you are doing a story time you might want to save it for near the end, when their little toddler attention spans have gotten to the "I'm gonna go crazy now, and throw these goldfish snacks around" stage. I recommend, as always, using silly ...more
David Schaafsma
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
A now classic told and illustrated by the classic Jules Feiffer, with great illustrations and a funny take on the somewhat familiar story of an animal or animals who for some reason do not make the sounds they are supposed to make. This one is for younguns, obviously but if you like Feiffer as I do, it is better than a lot of kid stuff because it has a little edge to it. A couple surprises in it.
Melki
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is a reason (actually many reasons) that George is not barking. You'll laugh when you find out why. Very cute book, with funny, cartoonish illustrations by the author.
Scottsdale Public Library
This is one of my favorite picture books to recommend for anyone looking for something fun to read to their little one. The illustrations are hilarious as you see George's mother see what her pup has been up to. This is a classic not to be missed! – Wendy M.
midnightfaerie
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Mildly entertaining for our family, my 5 yr old tells me the idea was a fun one, but dogs get boring and there was nothing special about this one. Perhaps we read it too soon after reading the book called "There was an old woman who swallowed a fly"? Either way, my preschoolers seemed to enjoy it more. At the very least it kept them engaged and following along, which is always a difficult thing to do with 2 yr olds.
Amy Forrester
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Bark, George,” says George’s mother. Unfortunately, George makes everyone sound but a proper doggy “Arf.” He meows, moos, and oinks, but he just can’t seem to bark. So his mother takes him to the vet. When George meows instead of barking, the vet reaches inside George’s mouth and pulls out a live cat! Finally, after pulling out a duck, a pig, and a cow, George is able to bark. Walking home, his mother proudly says, “Bark, George.” George says: “Hello.”

The text is concise and full of dialogue, w
Erica Johnson
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The picture book Bark George has always been one of my favorites since I was a small child. This book is about a mother dog who is trying to teach her puppy, George, to make the sound of a dog "arf." To her surprise George lets out other sounds of different animals such as a duck, pig, cat, cow, etc. I would use this book in a classroom setting where children are starting to associate familiar sounds with what type of animal they come from. This picture book keeps the illustrations very simple w ...more
Ed
Sep 05, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: kid-stuff
Judging by the sample page here: http://www.julesfeiffer.com/nubark.html
I am literally on the edge of my seat wondering if George, despite his mother's patient educational tactics, will ever say what Dogs are meant to say. What is George's motivation...is he a slow learner, confused, petulant? I guess I'll have to read it to find out. Where did he learn to Quack? I should just read it rather than manufacturing these speculations.
Audrey
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun book. Loved George's mom's facial expressions!
Rossy
Jan 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s, one-star
Octavia Cade
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay, I've had a small run of not-great picture books lately (I'm reading my way through the New York Library's list of 100 Great Children's Books, and there's been some difference of opinion) but this is hilarious. George's mother, in particular, is fantastic - each time I turned the page and saw her expression when faced with another indication that her precious pup was a greedy idiot I laughed my arse off. Delightful.
Jody
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Storytime gold.
Carson Anderson
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wow-books
I haven't met a book with a dog in it that I haven't liked yet. "Bark, George" is no exception! This is an adorable book about a puppy named George who cannot seem to bark for his mother. No matter how many times she tries to get him to bark, George always says the sound of another animal from "meow" to "moo." The mom's facial expression in the illustrations are priceless and I think show true frustration that would come from any parent, human or animal. Eventually the mother takes him to the ve ...more
Relyn
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: no idea...
I've been reading and loving this book for years. I can't believe I never put it on here. This is the best, best, best read aloud book ever written. Seriously! I have been known to read it aloud to adults - at Thanksgiving, at book club, etc. Wonderful book and it never fails to please.

Bark, George is one of my all time favorite children's books. I read it each year during meet your teacher. It never fails to get the kids pumped up about reading and read aloud. This year I drug it back out as a
Leticia Martinez
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book by far, has been my favorite book since childhood! I like how his mom tells him to bark and he does all types of animal sounds except for "arf" and how after a while she took him to the doctor. The ending of this book is unique, the doctor opens Georges mouth to check him, and it turns out there are other animals inside and this is the cause of George making different sounds. At the end, when the mom and doctor think George is fine now, the doctor tells George to bark and he says "Hell ...more
Ashley
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In my job at the library, one of my regular duties is to do storytime once a week. (Twice a week if I work Saturdays.) And one of my favourite books to read at storytime is Bark, George . I like asking the kid what animal makes each noise, and "is that the right noise that a dog makes?" It's fun to act all exasperated with George's mom, and I enjoy blowing kisses with her at the end. But really, I always go back to this book because it's such an easy read, the kids enjoy it, and it is genuinely ...more
Adrith Bicchieri
Bark, George! A puppy named George and his harried mama deal with an unconventional problem in this funny picture book. Its colorful illustrations are simple, but add to the hilarity. A great selection for preschool storytimes or for kids who love funny stories.

Bark, George by Jules Feiffer. Published 1999 by Michael di Capua Books, an imprint of HarperCollins. 32 pages, illustrated. Reviewed for book genre training at My Place of Work. Originally posted at my blog, Life in the 025.5.
Brittney Pierce
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
George is a dog who cannot bark. His mom asks him to bark, but he moo's like a cow, quacks like a duck, and oinks lika a pig. I thought it was hilarious when his mom took him to the vet and the vet pulled out all of those animals from his mouth. The dog can finally bark! On the way home his mom wants to show him off; she asks him to bark, but he is in a crowd of people and the only word that come out of his mouth is "hello". This story is fun and entertaining. It also has great pictures!
Barb
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children's librarians or teachers doing storytimes
Bark, George is a fabulous read-aloud book for pre-school storytimes. You can watch the eyes grow larger and hear the giggles as George responds to each request from his mother to "Bark, George" with a different animal sound. I love using a Viennese Doctor voice for the Vet - it gives the adults the giggles. And, of course, the ending is a fun surprise - what did George swallow now?
Joey Hines
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs, family, favorites
This is probably my favorite storytime book. I could read it in a boring monotone, and kids would still love it. It's a masterful combination of elements: adorable illustrations, easily recognizable animal sounds, a genuinely funny story, and a tone that is both irreverent and unobjectionable. Just awesome.
Mitchell
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
There was an old woman who swallowed a fly ends badly. But Bark George always seems very positive if a bit silly. I especially the expressiveness of the mama dog. With good enough art and snappy writing.
Kathryn
Jun 15, 2011 rated it liked it
You know sometimes there is a joke and you just know the punchline is brilliant but for some reason you can't even manage a chuckle? That's how I felt about this book. I-just-didn't-get-it. But, it looks like a lot of people did--and loved it--and you might be one of them :-)
Polly
Absolutely the best book to read at a story time for almost anyone. Funny, animal noises, silly, and a "what happens next?" kind of ending. I took it to read to a kindergarten class once, and I had to read it three times before they'd let me move on to something else!
Beth
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Daughter thinks this book is hysterical. Only drawback is she starting putting her hand in my mouth and checking for animals.
Paul
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book is so simple, so funny and so Feiffer!
Kaethe
Still hilarious. Truly, one of the best read-aloud books ever.
Shane Jeffrey
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book always goes over well in my children's story times at the library! Check it out!
Isabella
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was cute and funny, children would love this book!
Michelle Nero
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A favorite read and laugh out loud book!
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mom-me
Reading this book with my daughter this week. When asked how many stars it should rate, she informed me six. She's settling for five but is not very happy about it.
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book review 8 1 9 Aug 22, 2014 03:49AM
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Clip-Clop
  • Grumpy Bird
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • Hi, Pizza Man!
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Jump!
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • The Baby Beebee Bird
  • Dancing Feet!
Jules Feiffer is the acclaimed author-illustrator of several books for children, including BARK, GEORGE; MEANWHILE . . .; and I LOST MY BEAR; and the illustrator of THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH, by Norton Juster. Jules Feiffer is also a renowned editorial cartoonist, playwright, novelist, and screenwriter. He has been the recipient of an Academy Award, a Pulitzer Prize, a London Theatre Critics Award, an ...more