Start by marking “Duck Tents” as Want to Read:
Duck Tents

Duck Tents

In a small backyard, by a squat stone fence, five little ducks pitch five duck tents.

The five little ducks are going camping! They can't wait for a day of fun at the fishing hole. In the evening they sit around the campfire and toast marshmallows. But just as they're about to snuggle up tight and drift off to sleep, they hear a scary noise. Whooo can it be?
Published April 27th 2009 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Duck Tents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck Tents

Start your review of Duck Tents
Zach Rusnak
Duck Tents is a very good book for young children. The way the author incorporated counting into the book was very effective. The illustrations in Duck Tents also included counting which made the book even more effective. For example When the book says " Five ducks tramp through the oaks and pines" there is a illustration of 5 ducks tramping through the woods. Each time the author mentions a number there is an illustration to follow it up.
Tori
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute story about five little ducks who go camping in their back yard. There's fishing, there's marshmallows. A fun camping book. Would be cute for storytime.
Heather
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Rhyming counting book with ducks going to explore the outdoors-camping, fishing, roasting marshmallows. It just seems so uncompelling. Ages 2-3.
John
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because the duckies go off fishing: plink plonk plink. They all are in the water, and then they lost the fish [sad trombone].
Erin
Simple story about five little ducks who camp in their backyard. Lots of rhyming.

Okay for preschool or toddler storytimes.
Kati
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have presented this story twice for children's story time, and it was well received both times. Very rhythmic and lovely storyline.
Rosita
Duck Tents by Lynne Berry, illustrated by Hiroe Nakata is an adore story of five young ducklings camping in their small backyard. They couldn't wait for a day of fun at the fishing hole. In the evening they sit around the campfire, hiking and toast marshmallows. The ryhming book has godd action and fun vocabulary: flop, yanks, lunge, lean, plunge, heave, haul, sprawl and dive. I wish the pictures had been larger for group use. These 5 ducks did almost everything in order. They enjoy their own co ...more
David
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Duck Tents by Lynne Berry, illustrated by Hiroe Nakata is a cute story of five young ducklings camping in their backyard.

Nakata's detailed illustrations are in watercolor and ink. My favorite images are pitch tents, five up, sprawl, lost, marshmallows, dive, and sleep.

The ryhming text is fun, with some godd action vocabulary: flop, yanks, lunge, lean, plunge, heave, haul, sprawl and dive. I wish the pictures had been larger for group use. The details may best be enjoyed by reading aloud t
Karen
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
My four-year-old son checked this book out from the library last week.

I wanted to like this book -- I just didn't. It has a great start, but about eight pages into the book, the rhyming scheme becomes so forced that is it almost painful to read it out loud.

The illustrations are cute and colorful, but I have a problem with illustrated animals that don't resemble the animals they are supposed to portray. These ducks do not look like ducks. And, apart from a few quacks, they don't act like ducks.
Kelly
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, raml
I adored this book and it's beautiful illustrations. 5 little ducks venture out for a day of fishing and most of all, hanging out and working together. It is filled with great vocab that doesn't seem overwhelming or confusing to little ones because it is set in a rhythmic text. My favorite page is
"Shadows stretch through the moss-covered glade.
Damp ducks shake in the cool of the shade.
"Time for a campfire", two ducks quack.
"Come on, ducks! Let's all head back."

seriously, it's just
Erin Buhr
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Five little ducks go camping in the backyard. They spend the day fishing at the hole and evening toasting marshmallows. Suddenly, as night draws near they hear a Whooo. The ducks are all startled and a little afraid. What will they do? The book goes through the basics of camping, but what makes it special are the darling illustrations by Hiroe Nakata. There is something especially sweet about the little row of tents with the little beaks poking out.
Allison
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. I wanted to like it when I read the title, and I was not disappointed. Delicate yet vibrant waterolor illustrations are equally as adorable as the text. Would be so cute for a camping, duck, or PJ story time. Can also be sung to "5 little ducks went out one day."

"Campfire flames burn down to coals-
Ducks toast marshmellows on their poles!
Outside crispy, inside sticky,
Chewy, gooey, finger-licky."

Henry Holt and Company
The Library Lady
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Each book in this series (Duck Skates and Duck Dunks brings toddlers and preschoolers along with the ducks on a new experience. Here it's camping, and as usual, there is just enough text and adorable illustrations. Another winner.
Rachel
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, 2013
The illustrations are captivating & capture the sweet rhythm of this story of five ducks joyfully exploring the outdoors on a camping trip. Tactile vocabulary like "zoom," "yanks," "plunge," & "sprawl" creates motion. As has been noted by another reviewer, the text easily lends itself to the song "Five Little Ducks Went Out One Day," making this is a great storytime selection for toddlers & preschoolers alike.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Five little ducks adventure out into the wilderness of the backyard! They camp, they fish, they roast marshmallows, and sleep in tents. I great book for the young storytime audience. The book can also be sung to the tune of Five Little Ducks.

Theme: camping
Additional themes: ducks, fishing

Reviewed from a library copy.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and spunky with a tingling hint of backyard camp-out scariness, this irresistibly upbeat rhyming adventure breathes a long-awaited summer breeze.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Melanie
The five little ducks are back in another rhyming adventure. This time all 5 ducks are camping, pitching tents, fishing and roasting marshmallows. As the sun goes down the sounds of the night make it impossible for the ducks to sleep on their own. All five ducks end up in one tent, which is very similar to what happens to little ones when camping.
Donna
Jul 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I Loved this book! Great ryhming story. I especially liked "Ducks dig worms. Ducks bait hooks. Ducks flop down with snacks and books." That's my kind of fishing. The illustrations are really cool too, a different look about it.
Liza Gilbert
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
The story is light and not all that engaging. However, Nakata's beautiful artwork merits a long look. This could work as a light counting story, but the text itself is too slight. The art, though, is stunning.
Shelli
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Duck Tents is a sweet little read-aloud to share with your little ones. Five little duckies attempt their first camping trip; determined to be brave. Being brave all squished together in one tent is more fun though right? Interest level 5 or younger.
Amy Brown
Great camping book for the preschool set. Five little ducks go camping and do all those things campers do like roasting marshmallows and go fishing. Will use this one for my Let's Pretend storytime this summer.
Jackie
Cute, colorful story and illustrations about five little ducks that go camping. When they hear "Whooo, whoooo, whoooo, they all snuggle up together after a fun-filled day of fishing, hiking, and roasting marshmallows.

Used for October, 2009 "Let's Camp-Out!" storytime.
Christine Turner
Sep 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birds
While on a camping trip, five little ducks pitch tents, go fishing, toast marshmallows around a campfire, and face frightening night noises.

The only thing that I do not care for is the text font. It would be difficult for a begining reader.
Jenna
Just a bit too long for the storytime session we did. The beginning was slower paced, but the kids seemed to enjoy the ending bit with the spooky nighttime sounds (and getting to hoot alongside).
Tracy Morton
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute book about camping with rhyming.
Veronica
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-books, 2010
This adorable book combines elements such as numerical recognition, rhyme repetition, and vivid illustration! A wonderful story with potential for use in youth programs.
Great read-aloud! Should be perfect for a camping storytime.
carissa
Recommended ages: older toddlers and preschool

Five little ducks go camping. Good rhyme and rhythm. Great for camp-themed storytimes or duck storytimes.
Deb
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read another of this Duck series and they are both really fun. Rhyming text is great for my 7 month old listener here and we like the illustrations a lot.
Tina B
Dec 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
ducks, sequel, camping, possible storytime

• Sheep in a Jeep
  • The First Dog
  • Telephone
  • A Visitor for Bear
  • Farmyard Beat
  • A Library Book for Bear
  • Because Your Mommy Loves You
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • Whose Hat is That?