Start by marking “Drummer In the Dark” as Want to Read:
Drummer In the Dark

Drummer In the Dark (Marcus Glenwood #2)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  269 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
In a rip-roaring plot that could be torn from tomorrow’s headlines, bestselling author T. Davis Bunn weaves political intrigues and disturbing moral dilemmas into a chillingly credible portrait of the cutthroat world of international finance.
Jackie Havilland is working in an Orlando detective agency when she is approached with an unusual request: Esther Hutchings, wife of
Published August 7th 2001 by Waterbrook Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Drummer In the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drummer In the Dark

Kara Jorges
Dec 14, 2012 rated it liked it
This book gets off to a slow start, taking a bit too long to let us in on what’s going on, but once it gets going, it’s not bad.

Wynn Bryant is a man of means who obviously travels in better circles than I do, since at a mere suggestion from his sister, he becomes an interim Congressman. He wanders around DC without a clue until he gets dragged on a journey to Rome and Cairo, and gets pulled into some hefty intrigue.
Jackie Burke is a windsurfer with a crappy job who suddenly gets hired by the wif
Shihab Azhar
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I will be honest - I really struggled to finish this book. Not that it wasn't riveting - I can't ever imagine I'm going to be able to read another thriller on international debt relief again. The plot was great, and really sheds light on how politics works (it's a bit difficult to explain without giving away spoilers). It's just that some of the writing- the imagery, the style etc. - somehow didn't really appeal to me. The atmosphere of the book seems so dark and covered in an unending gray that ...more
Ingrid
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this book. However, I will be first to admit that my level of knowledge regarding hedge funds and forex is very limited. I found the book confusing but I am sure that a more knowledgeable person would have enjoyed it more.
Kellee
I started this book multiple times. I had randomly picked up The Great Divide during college and just devoured it. Drummer in the Dark is apparently book 2 of the series, and I'm still not sure why.. Marcus Glenwood isn't even in the book. Not that its bad, just fyi.

Drummer is about forex trading, aka hedge funds. Because of this, the book was dense reading for me. I've never taken a business or economics class beyond high school. The characters also fell flat, and I never got to know them as pe
Ginny
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Wynn Bryant lost his wife, became a multimillionaire when he sold his dot.com, and won a patent infringement suit against a competitor - all in the same month. Since then, he has drifted aimlessly, until he is recruited to run in a special election for the Congressional seat held by a firebrand who has been disabled by a stroke. Wynn is supposed to be just a placeholder for the next 18 months, and he has been charged with the task of killing the "Jubilee Amendment" to an omnibus spending bill. A ...more
Mary
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I would love to give this book more than 3 stars, but I can't do it. The story line is intriguing and the premise is terrifyingly real. However, understanding derivatives in the financial sector is apparently above my abilities. No matter how many times I read the explanations, I came away knowing that I was missing something and that took away some of my enjoyment in reading the book. My other complaint is that there were so many players that I a hard time keeping track. It was one of those boo ...more
Connie
May 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Even with the many surprises at the end, I am giving this book a rating of three. Perhaps it would be great for one who understands high finance, the stock market, and national and international banking, but it was often over my head, and therefore less enjoyable. Also,I had to frequently return to my list of characters to keep everyone straight. This has not been the case for me in reading Grisham. I am still glad I read the book. It was another eye opener, this time to the potential for abuse ...more
Tina Hunt
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want to stop reading. At first I thought that I would be put off by the intense focus on finance--which I knew nothing about. I was hooked and when I was done I ended up going to the internet to do some more research. I was thankful that I was reading this on my Nook (an e check out from our local library) because that afforded me the opportunity to look up the words that I didn't know with out leaving that page! I like the way this author stretches my mind and my faith. I recommend it ...more
Amy
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very good book with an eye opening view of a side of Wall Street that is a little scary to know. I do agree the details of forex trading were sometimes hard to follow, but necessary to understand what was going on -- fortunately my husband is a professor of finance, so when I had questions I had a ready source of help available. I think the plot was excellent, though, so if you can use those details to enrich the read, you won't go away disappointed.
Marliss
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard for me to give an "amazing" rating to a fiction book unless it illuminates my spiritual walk in some way. But I really liked this book. I appreciated the struggle of the main character as he remained true to himself but changed in ways that basically redeemed his prior behavior.

I like T. Davis Bunn as an author because most of his books have a depth of plot and character that keep my interest, and keep me reading far later than I should, lol.
Melanie
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
If you're into derivatives trading and politics, you'd probably love this book, but I found much of it tedious. The premise is startling and the plot solid, but the storyline is overshadowed by the necessary exposition of forex and the trading/banking industry. A small percentage of readers might have the necessary background knowledge to fully "get" this book, but even with my banking background I got bogged down in the details.
Whitney White
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a little hard for me to get through at first, due to many characters introduced in a short time as well as the political lingo. However, once I got halfway through it, I began to like it. I do not think this is his best work, but it is still pretty good.
Laurie Stoll
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Drummer in the Dark is the first book I have read from this author. I enjoyed this story very much. It has mystery, suspense, great characters and is very fast paced. I am looking forward to reading other books by T. Davis Bunn.
Stephanie Blackbern
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read all Davis Bunn-sometimes he is my "christian " version of John Grisham
Rob Selwitz
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Too technical
Janet
Dec 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Intelligently and believably written. Very timely.
Jodi
Jun 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Just couldn't get into this book so I skimmed it to finish it. Picked it up off the free shelf at the library and that is where it will be placed back on when I go the the library later today!
Christian Tuininga
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
How often do I wish it was a 10 star system!? A solid 7 star. Or 3.5 on this scale. But 3.5 isn't an option. So there ya go.
Jim Magwood
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If anything puts today into perspective with the Dust Bowl days, this will. It will shake you and drag those tears out. Excellent.
Mary
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wynn new senator, is asked to veto a trade law - financial thriller
Podaire
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great novel about currency manipulation through hedge funds. It shows the dark side of market manipulations.
Nick Woodall
A good novel. Suspenseful and interesting.
Tulsi
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Such a timely book even though it was written over a decade ago
Clifford King
great book keeps you on the edge right to the last page
Roey Martz
Feb 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: d
Boring, didn't finish
Melissa
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not my kind of book. About currency and world politics. Probably would be a gret book for those interested in that subject matter.
Gary Postma
  • My Soul to Keep
  • Dread Champion
  • Blind Justice
  • The Cross Examination of Oliver Finney
  • And Then There Were Two (Dani Ross Mystery #2)
  • Necessary Measures (Healing Touch Series, #2)

Marcus Glenwood (3 books)
  • The Great Divide