Start by marking “Zapata of Mexico” as Want to Read:
Zapata of Mexico

Zapata of Mexico

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Born in the Mexican state of Morelos more than 100 years ago, murdered at the age of 40 in 1919, described as the greatest outlaw known to the Western World, Emiliano Zapata was the purest "embodiment" of the Mexican revolution. Also includes a short account of the evolution of the ejidos and common lands of Mexico.
Published May 1st 1997 by Black Rose Books (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Zapata of Mexico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zapata of Mexico

Joe Starr
Great subject. Awful writing. It feels like this book has been translated multiple times, without being proofread or edited. There's no rhythm or fluidity at any point; it reads like a bunch of bullet points on an index card. However, Zapata is a great enough subject to make you keep reading. I'll definitely be looking for better works on Zapatismo, and wouldn't recommend this other than for the fact that it's really short.
Henry Chavez
Well, I must say the book was a letdown. I will be merciful and spare the reader trite comments. I just did not like the way it was written. There was very little about the man and too much about the cause. The book should have been titled the Mexican Revolution from the Perspective of The South Insurgency. Meh.
Patrick Frownfelter
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, borrowed
Very informative, but not exactly well written. Still, it was the story of a revolutionary that I had not heard, and I am amazed at the man Zapata and everything he stood for.
Beorn
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A good if slightly dreary historical account of one of the most iconic figures of South American history and even political history.
It could have done with a significantly more personal touch rather than being as one-dimensional observational as it was but, as the book ably demonstrates, the conflict was a far more internecine, far less straight-forward affair than can easily be surmised in such a context.

A good entry-level book but one in which anyone more familiar with the history would find l
Sheila
Jan 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: world-history
not sure this is the best biography of Zapata, but I've just returned from Mexico and realized my near complete ignorance of Mexican history and this book lay on my shelf unread. It seems like a good account of the Mexican revolution that began in 1910.
Jerry Borchardt
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although concise, ZAPATA OF MEXICO is a well written and researched chronicle of the Mexican revolution as it played out in southern Mexico. Informative, especially given that we Americanos are much more knowledgeable about the revolution in the north and Pancho Villa.
Sam
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Fascinating story, poorly written. Reads like a long pamphlet.
Gunnar Paesbrugge
Joshua Williams
Nov 13, 2017
Euge
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it
The events are fascinating but the telling is awkward and disjointed.
D.C.J. Wardle