Start by marking “Unpopular Mr. Lincoln: The Story of America's Most Reviled President” as Want to Read:
Unpopular Mr. Lincoln: The Story of America's Most Reviled President

Unpopular Mr. Lincoln: The Story of America's Most Reviled President

Today, Abraham Lincoln is a beloved American icon, widely considered to be our best president. It was not always so. Larry Tagg's The Unpopular Mr. Lincoln is the first study of its kind to concentrate on what Lincoln's contemporaries actually thought of him during his lifetime. Be forewarned: your preconceived notions are about to be shattered.

Torn by civil war, the era i
Published May 11th 2009 by Savas Beatie (first published May 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Unpopular Mr. Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unpopular Mr. Lincoln

Allen Garvin
This is a superb short little book on the relationships of the press (and assorted writers and diarists) to Lincoln. Though the references at the end reveal most of the quotations come from secondary sources and not archival research, it is still quite comprehensive and wind-ranging within the scope of the thesis. It also functions quite well as a work of popular history.

The book begins with a very nice succinct summary of the political situation of the US at the point in 1860, with background i
Apzmarshl
Jun 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I won this hefty peice of beef on Goodreads.

While I was dying to dig in and rip through this read like every other book I pick up, I found that wasn't going to happen.

The book was obscenely informative with a fresh new perspective. It was intense and historical so it took me eons longer to read than a work of fiction. I felt myself wanting to reread or go through the book and take notes. You think you knew about Lincoln and then you find out you really didn't.
Tom Hill
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I still believe Lincoln was one of our greatest President's although this book makes him appear all the more human. I cannot think of a politician today who could have the courage of his convictions in the face of all the criticism that President Lincoln faced in his day. Not only from the opposing party, but from the press and even members of his own cabinet the insults and defamation he had to endure would surely have destroyed a lesser man.
James Durney
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Our Abraham Lincoln is the Great Emancipator, the sure hand that guides America through the Civil War, struck down as we entered the promised land of peace. A wise and wonderful man of courage and strength, an eloquent voice that defines our better nature, a guide, a comfort in time of crises, and need. Our Abraham Lincoln “is a marble man, a mythic icon enshrined in a magnificent twenty-foot tall statue that looks down on visitors from beneath the dome of his Memorial, a Greek temple modeled af ...more
Ruth
Oct 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
EXCELLENT history of, not only Lincoln himself, but of American politics leading up to, and during his presidency. And this isn't the usual glossed over version you get of Lincoln in text books. This shows a more human Lincoln. A man who made some real mistakes. A man who was not popular by any definition of the word. However ordinary, though, he was a man who accomplished extraordinary things, and rightly deserves the praise he receives at present. The reason I gave it four stars instead of fiv ...more
Leena
Mar 17, 2010 marked it as to-read
Had not realized how incredibly unpopular, how HATED, Abraham Lincoln was in his time. This author depicts him as a man almost universally despised - yet he won a second term (just barely) during the war. This book illustrates how little politics and pundits have changed over the centuries.
Peter
Jan 02, 2011 is currently reading it
The Story of America's Most Reviled President
Kris
May 29, 2010 rated it liked it
It was a fascinating read, but it turned tedious as Tagg keeps piling on all the nasty notes, speeches and articles on President Lincoln without giving the reader a break from the vile criticism.
Gordon Flanagan
Oct 27, 2011
Theodore Savas
Dec 06, 2012
Rose Sofranko
rated it did not like it
Jun 22, 2009