Start by marking “A invenção de Morel” as Want to Read:
A invenção de Morel

A invenção de Morel

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  11,197 Ratings  ·  925 Reviews
Narrado por um fugitivo da justiça, conta a história de sua busca por esconderijo e salvação numa ilha deserta. Após um período solitário, o narrador se surpreende com a presença de pessoas no local. Ele não sabe como elas chegaram lá e nota que seus modos são anacrônicos e seu cotidiano, repetitivo. Atordoado com as mudanças, a princípio evita as pessoas, mas a paixão que ...more
Published 2006 by Cosac Naify (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about A invenção de Morel, please sign up.

Lean G.A
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
*****************************************************

«Πιστεύω πως χάνουμε την αθανασία γιατί δεν έχει εξελιχθεί η αντίστασή μας στο θάνατο· οι τελειοποιήσεις της επιμένουν στην πρωταρχική, τη στοιχειώδη ιδέα: να διατηρήσουμε ζωντανό ολόκληρο το σώμα. Θα 'πρεπε να επιζητούμε τη διατήρηση αυτού που ενδιαφέρει τη συνείδηση».

Η μπαλάντα των αισθήσεων και των παραισθήσεων.
Ένα αριστούργημα. Ένας προφητικός εφιάλτης για την ανθρώπινη υπόσταση. Επιστημονικό θρίλερ,μαύρο,φρικιαστικό,ανατριχιαστικό και μ
Bill  Kerwin
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weird-fiction

"The Invention of Morel" is a romantic classic in which passion triumphs over convention, a surrealist classic in which imagination triumphs over reality, a science fiction classic in which technology triumphs over time, and a mystery story whose fantastic resolution always plays fair with the reader.

Is corporeality necessary for human personality? Is community possible even in isolation? Can love survive death and--perhaps what is worse--complete indifference? Bioy Casares novel addresses all
Glenn Russell
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Invention of Morel was adjudged a perfect work by Jorge Luis Borges, the author’s mentor/friend/frequent collaborator. Anybody familiar with the essays and short fiction of Borges can appreciate what it means for one of the great masters of world literature to make such a pronouncement. Perhaps Borges’ appraisal reflects, in part, how Adolfo Bioy Casares shares much of his own aesthetic and literary sensibilities since, after all, they collaborated on twelve books.

More specifically, here are
s.penkevich
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Unrequited Love
Recommended to s.penkevich by: The Borges effect
I do not believe that a dream should necessarily be taken for reality, or reality for madness.

How often we feel like an island, alone in a world and beleaguered by the crashing waves of change, responsibility and heartache eroding our soil. Adolfo Bioy Casares presents us a chilling and empathetic tale of love and loneliness, molding the ‘diary of a man stranded on an island’ literary trope into a fantastical and exciting exploration into the human heart. While the sci-fi elements are engaging
Seemita
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who are fearless of unknown chambers in mind
Insane. Insane. Again. Insane.
Then I resumed my efforts, moving to other parts of the wall. Chips fell, and, when large pieces of the wall began to come down, I kept on pounding, bleary-eyed, with an urgency that was far greater than the size of the iron bar, until the resistance of the wall (which seemed unaffected by the force of my repeated pounding) pushed me to the floor, frantic and exhausted. First I saw, then I touched, the pieces of masonry— they were smooth on one side, harsh, earthy
Pantelis
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Appearances are essential. We live for our images. We feed them constantly. Our images is what will be remembered. The hero of this novel dies for his image's sake.

As for me, in this instance, my image is what I write. To be more exact, my image is what you read....

Our avatars will outlive us. Virtual reality is the ultimate reality.
mai ahmd
عندما تكتب عن رواية فاتنة فيجب أن تعطي نفسك فرصة لكي تلتقط الأنفاس وتستحضر الصور والمشاهد والأفكار .. ليس كل الروايات تستحق ولا كلها تعطيك هذه البهجة البهجة التي تأتي محملة بالكثير من التصورات والأفكار بعد قرائتها
هذه مقدمة لا بد منها يستحقها أدولفو كاساريس .. لأنه كاتب مختلف ولأنه كاتب فنتازي أعطى هالة من الغموض ليتيح المجال للعديد من التفسيرات كاتب لا يسهل عليك الأمر يدفعك للتفكير وأنا أحب ذلك ..

كتبت هذه الرواية على شكل يوميات لبطل الرواية هوامشها جزء من الحكاية
تدور أحداثها في جزيرة معزولة لا
Rakhi Dalal
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-realism

The incomprehensibility of an idea is what makes man delve deeper into it. The more challenging the idea the more fascination it holds. For as long as mankind can remember, the idea of death and immortality has intrigued minds, making man wish to conquer death and to become immortal. Philosophy, science and religion maintain views which suggest some interesting thoughts for contemplation. But since ‘death’ still remains unconquerable, man somehow tries to deceive it by leaving behind works of im
Lynne King
When I first started this novella, I was highly bemused by everything. The nameless narrator from Venezuela, who is living on an island he believes is called Villings and who decides to write a diary of what is happening there. He is unsure how long he has to live. He is a fugitive on the run from justice after being sentenced to life imprisonment. We are never to find out what this crime is, and then an Italian rug merchant in Calcutta tells him about an island:

There is only one place for a fu
Jokoloyo
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A surrealistic story with perfect execution. I am captivated by the setting and protagonist's inner conflicts. Me! A shallow reader who enjoy cheap thrilling of pulp fictions enjoyed a Latin American literature work! That's how good Casares's writing skill is.
Mystery has big part on the story, so even it is a well known literature, I don't want to say much about the plot. But I can say the atmosphere alone is a perfect example of surrealism of early 20th century. I can't help myself imagining t
brian
am i jackass? a moron?

this is a perfectly good book. and a guy spending months on a sun dappled island amongst three dimensional phantoms re-enacting a single weekend is sublime. but this:

“the most complete and total perception not only of the unreality of the world but of our own unreality: not only do we traverse a realm of shadows, we ourselves are shadows.”

that’s octavio paz. and paz is a badasss. a serious badass. and borges – maybe the biggest badass that has ever lived – called this nove
BlackOxford
Coming Clean About LOST

Several years ago I was induced by my grandchildren to watch seven seasons’ worth of the television series LOST during summer holidays. Filmed in Hawaii from 2004 to 2010, the series recounted the increasingly strange existence of the survivors of a trans-Pacific flight on an apparently uncharted, and possibly uncharitable, island. Often tedious, always unexpected, the tale, I decided, was either an invention beyond my abilities to appreciate, or it was utter nonsense, wit
Nickolas the Kid
Μόλις τελείωσα το βιβλίο (δλδ σε μιάμιση μέρα) και δεν είχα καμιά αμφιβολία ότι πρέπει να πάρει 5 αστεράκια...

Έτσι απλά μιλάμε για ένα αριστούργημα της λατινοαμερικάνικης λογοτεχνίας...
Δεν θέλω να γράψω πολλά για το βιβλίο για να μην χαλάσω τις απανωτές εκπλήξεις των εν δυνάμει αναγνωστών. Ο Μπόρχες το θεωρούσε τέλειο κι εγώ (!!!) μαγικό.

Ένας ναυαγός/κατάδικος (ίσως) βρίσκεται σε ένα ερημικό νησί όπου υπάρχει μια πισίνα, ένα μουσείο και ένα παρεκκλήσι... Τίποτε άλλο.. Κάποια στιγμή αρχίζουν να ε
Maria Thomarey

Λοιπόν εντάξει . Ας το κάνουμε με τον τροπο του Casares. Τι λέτε ;;
Α) Lost
B) lost
Γ) κατασκευή
Δ)"διαβάστε και λίγη λογοτεχνία " φράση καθηγητή στο πανεπιστήμιο
E) φιλοσοφία
Ζ) θεωρία των μέσων
Η) μεταμοντέρνο
Θ) Μορελ .2
Ι) κάψιμο . ( με την καλη έννοια )
Matt
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yeahhhh-bioy
What a great little book!

Casares comes as close here as a writer possibly could to successfully mixing literary fiction with elements of science fiction. I feel like there is very little that I can say about the plot without spoiling it. Over the first thirty pages I was convinced that this was merely a ghost story – more specifically the ghost story that inspired Shyamalan’s whole “I see dead people” thing. Casares totally surprised me at that point by taking the story in a direction that I ha
Greg
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Floating Reviews and the Television Show Lost

I just went through my update feed looking to see what my goodreads.com friends have been doing. I see reviews and things I should pay some attention to, but I'm not quite that self-reflexive yet that I will write reviews only about what I'm doing at the moment on goodreads.com. Instead I would like to make an observation of how my goodreads.com update feed mirrors this book.

For the past few days just about every morning and early evening that I chec
Stephen P
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

In order for this novel to work the groundwork had to be situated early and deftly, the author’s voice sculpted within the fictions flow. At first the slowness, repetitiveness earned the book a 2 star rating and my reading ability a one lone lonely star. Okay, maybe a two but the last in pieces and I had to glue it together. Then I waited for it to dry. Impatient waiting I decided it best to give the novella up. There is a condition where the ribs become inflamed as does the lower back. Bre
Tony
I see Faustine....

....but she doesn't see me.

I speak, halting, tortured words....

....but her gaze never shifts.

I build her a garden, a hint of my love....

....but she walks through it.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

I hold the glass by the stem, hard against the table. My wrist works, making the liquid swirl. I breathe it in. So often, I miss the notes. I guess wrong. I keep quiet at tastings.

So here.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

No, that won't do.

Let me tell you of my wrong guesses and dead ends.

I t
Erato
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Δεν εχω λόγια!! Προκειται για ενα αριστούργημα!!Μοναδικό, εξαιρετικό, ανατριχιαστικό, τρυφερό, ανατρεπτικό, σκοτεινό, ΑΝΕΠΑΝΑΛΗΠΤΟ!!
Η γραφή του Κασαρες ειναι απίστευτη πραγματικά πλην ομως οφείλονται εύσημα και στην εξαιρετική μετάφραση του Αχ. Κυριακιδη.
Δε θα πω τίποτε άλλο,μονο να το διαβάσετε ΟΠΩΣΔΗΠΟΤΕ!
Θα το θυμάμαι καιρο και σίγουρα θα ξαναγυρίσω σ αυτο.
Πεντε αστέρια ειναι λίγα!
Chris_P
Τι να πω γι' αυτό; Τέλειο σε όλους τους τομείς! Ολόκληρος Borges το εκθείασε, πώς είναι δυνατόν να έκανε λάθος; Ευφυέαστατη σύλληψη, εξίσου ευφυέστατη εκτέλεση και ένα τέλος που μόνο απόλυτα αρμόζον μπορεί να χαρακτηριστεί.

Νικόλα σ' ευχαριστώ που μου άνοιξες τα ματια!
Mizuki
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edited@14/02/2017:

Since today is Valentine's Day, let's do a photo spamming for one of the most romantic novels I've ever read, The Invention of Morel, by Adolfo Bioy Casares.

I'll spam this review of mine with a movie which is closely related to Morel, this movie is the most mysterious, elegant and romantic movie I've ever watched, Last Year At Marienbad, directed by Alain Resnais.

Movie Trailer on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIdSQ...

Actual book review here:

I would have given this
Reckoner
Αγάπησα τα πάντα, το καθετί που αποτελεί αυτή την μαγική νουβέλα μα πιο πολύ το μυαλό, την ψυχή και την πένα του Κασσάρες.
RandomAnthony
I wish I hadn’t read the back of The Invention of Morel before I read the novel. Once I read that Borges, Paz, etc. loved this book I felt like I had to like it. Too much pressure.

Fortunately, I think the The Invention of Morel is strong enough that I would have been a fan without any background knowledge. The book is narrated by a fugitive marooned on an island to which the tides carried him after his escape. A house, chapel, and museum occupy the otherwise-deserted island. Soon, however, peop
Evangelia
Όταν πρωτοδιάβασα κριτικές γι' αυτό το βιβλίο και όταν είδα το μέγεθός του -μόλις 153 (!) σελίδες- σκέφτηκα: μα πόσο ωραίο μπορεί να είναι; Τόσα πολλά μπορεί να προσφέρει; Την απάντηση μου την έδωσε το ίδιο το βιβλίο, κοροϊδεύοντας με. Πόσο μικρά ανθρωπάκια είμαστε τελικά όλοι/ες μας.
Παρά το μικρό μέγεθός του τελικά -πράγμα απόλυτα κατανοητό πλέον- δε γινόταν να γίνει καλύτερο. Δεν θα άντεχε άνθρωπος να διαβάσει περισσότερο. Είναι κάψιμο εγκεφάλου. Δεν είναι ένα βιβλίο, που λες: ε μωρέ μικρό εί
Nora Dillonovich
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysterioso
This is the kind of book one reads from cover to cover in one sitting (or before bed, and then finishes on the bus in the morning). This is true for a variety of reasons: the length, the mystery evoked in the first twenty or so pages, and the pacing of the narration for the last half.

The narration is haunting, the island where the action (the endless, repetitive action), the events transpire, is eerie, somewhat vague.
The Love (the emotion or obsession or sentiment or consuming need- I dont kno
Teresa
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e5, n-argentina
Terminei há dias este livro e fiquei com a sensação de que não o tinha lido com a dedicação que ele merecia. Como tem pouco mais de 100 páginas, não me assaltou o desespero pela falta de tempo, e reli-o, hoje, sem intrometer entre mim e ele outras leituras.
De facto Jorge Luis Borges tem razão: "não me parece uma imprecisão ou uma hipérbole classificá-lo como perfeito."

Trata-se do diário de um foragido que se refugia numa ilha deserta. Passado um tempo descobre que não está sozinho. Aí conhece F
Sawsan
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
رواية كتبها الكاتب الأرجنتيني أدولفو كاساريس عام 1940, ووصفها بورخيس في المقدمة بأنها تصل إلى حد الكمال
الحياة بين الوهم والحقيقة
فكرة تخليد حياة الانسان باختراع جهاز يصور حياته ويعرض الصور مجسدة بشكل دائم
الصور فعلا وسيلة للاستمرارية والبقاء, لكن هل يستطيع الانسان أن يعيش حياته مع مجرد صور لا تحيا؟
رجل يكتب يومياته ومشاهداته في جزيرة غير مأهولة إلى أن يفاجأ بوجود آخرين معه على الجزيرة
ويبقى الاختيار بين الهروب لعالم الصورة ووهم الحب أو مواجهة العزلة في عالم الواقع
خيال علمي وفكرة كانت غريبة في ذلك ا
roz_anthi
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Το θάνατό μου ξύπνησες σε τούτο το νησί.

Έναν νεκρό ξύπνησες σε τούτο το νησί.

Δεν είμαι πια νεκρός: Είμαι ερωτευμένος.

Το αλάθητο κριτήριο του μεγάλου Μπόρχες, βρήκε αυτό βιβλίο τέλειο. Εγώ το βρήκα υπνωτιστικά θερμό κι ας διαβάστηκε μέσα σε έναν βαρύ χειμώνα. Πάνω στην ευθεία που συνδέει τους αγγλοσάξονες μετρ της λογοτεχνίας του φανταστικού με τους λατινοαμερικάνους βιρτουόζους, εκεί ακριβώς, στην πιο θεσπέσια, καλοδουλεμένη τομή βρίσκεται ο Κασάρες.

Η Εφεύρεση του Μορέλ προοικονομεί την εποχή πο
Sanjana
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can I say anything without spoiling the book? A romantic mystery set on a deserted(not) island. Questions (but doesn't really answer) the nature of life, death and the soul.

Borges thinks that calling The Invention of Morel perfect "is neither an imprecision nor a hyperbole" (I disagree), and that should be enough reason for you to give this book a shot.
Camille Stein
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ilustración. A5. Bolígrafo. | Alba Ruiz De Miguel - http://ow.ly/yXuw3

Todo se ha perdido: la vida con la mujer, la soledad pasada. Sin refugio perduro en este monólogo que, desde ahora, es injustificable.

En la soledad es imposible estar muerto.

Pero debo convencerme: no necesito huir. Vivir con las imágenes es una dicha. Si llegan los perseguidores, se olvidarán de mí ante el prodigio de esta gente inaccesible. Me quedaré.

El narrador de Adolfo Bioy Casares, aunque anclado en una isla supuest
  • An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages, #13)
  • 62: A Model Kit
  • Los siete locos (Los siete locos, #1)
  • Bad Twin
  • Zama
  • Lancelot
  • The Stone Leopard
  • The Obscene Bird of Night
  • The Museum of Eterna's Novel (The First Good Novel)
  • The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll
  • Los pichiciegos
  • The Letter Killers Club
  • Don Segundo Sombra
  • Antología de la literatura fantástica
  • Sobre héroes y tumbas
  • Respiración artificial
Winner of the Gran Premio de Honor da Sociedad Argentina de Escritores (1975), the Cervantes Award (1990) and the Légion d’Honneur da França (1981), Adolfo Bioy Casares (Buenos Aires, 1914-1999) is one of the main writes of the XX century. Also a journalist and translator, he was a friend and collaborator with his fellow countryman Jorge Luis Borges, with whom he wrote six books and created the ch ...more
More about Adolfo Bioy Casares...

“The sea is endless when you are in a rowboat.” 23 likes
“And the reason I am so nervous is that everything I do now is leading me to one of three possible futures... Which one will it be? Time alone will tell. But still I know that writing this diary can perhaps provide the answer; it may even help produce the right future.” 21 likes