Start by marking “Grandma's Wartime Kitchen: World War II and the Way We Cooked” as Want to Read:
Grandma's Wartime Kitchen: World War II and the Way We Cooked

Grandma's Wartime Kitchen: World War II and the Way We Cooked

An affectionate and informative look at women on the Home Front in the 1940s, Grandma's Wartime Kitchen presents more than 150 classic recipes (updated for today's kitchens) along with anecdotes, advertisements, advice, and archival recipes from a unique and defining period in America's history.

With details and personal voices that make the material come to life, the book
Published November 8th 2000 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Grandma's Wartime Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandma's Wartime Kitchen

Start your review of Grandma's Wartime Kitchen: World War II and the Way We Cooked
QNPoohBear
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Part history book and part cookbook, noted food history scholar Joanne Lamb Hayes explains how rationing affected Americans during WWII. She draws on her own memories and other primary sources to share information and recipes. I liked this book so much I read it twice for scholarly research.

American rationing doesn't seem like a big deal in hindsight when we're all used to margarine and many people use low cal sweetners and alternatives to sugar and generally eat less fat and less meat then
Beth E
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
It is not clear from the title, but this book focuses solely on American foods and rationing during WWII.

It's immediately clear upon reading this that American rationing was much less strict than in the United Kingdom. And of course rationing was much shorter lived- in the UK it started on January 8, 1940 and lasted until 1954.

I do want to try the recipe for the Sugarless Berry Ice Cream.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, own
I realized 80% of the way through the cookbook that I've read this years ago. It was so good, I'd forgotten I'd read it as a library book as I'd find a used copy and bought it for myself. I would highly recommend many of the recipes from this book. These are recipes cooked during the war years when certain foods were rationed. So that means many are low in fat as butter and shortening were rationed. Certain meats were rationed so their are recipes to stretch meat (like Monday Meatloaf) or ...more
Wendy
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book gave me a wonderful insight as to why my Mom cooked the way she did with some of the ingredients she used. There are several recipes that were in her repertoire and in regular rotation. I know understand why Mom relied so heavily on canned goods and her use of Karo Syrup.

This is a great history of how the War affected the homemakers and caregivers while most of the men were off fighting. The little blubs with excerpts from wartime publications help give insight into the importance and
Alison
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A unique look at the creativity our grandmas and great-grandmas needed to use in the kitchen during World War II.
Amy
Nov 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book, cookery
Before reading it: I was wondering the other day how WWII era folks ate, given those ration cards, and figured they probably had a pretty healthy diet and were able to eat nutritionally correct on strict budgets, so I thought I'd take a look at this.

******

After reading it: Well, there certainly are some crazy recipes in there (vegetable pancakes??) . But it was odd.... reading some of them, well, yes. My grandmother DID used to make some of those, and I could instantly remember how they tasted.
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I thought the author did a great job compiling the various recipes and the introduction for each section was filled with interesting things about WWII that I had never known. She introduces all of the recipes and I love the reprinted wartime propaganda images and ration information along with quotes from wartime women's magazines and from women who experienced the war. I can't wait to try so many of the recipes, and I got to try the beet relish from this book that a ...more
LibraryDanielle
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I love cookbooks, so I've been savoring this one. each chapter has a historical introduction on the whys and how the recipes in the chapter were developed. I found it really neat.
the recipes are interesting, weird, and sometimes gross, but there were quite a few I plan of trying (especially the sweets!). this might be good for a family struggling with today's prices. there were lots of tips on 'stretching' food.
Dani
Nov 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks-read
This is a book of WWII-era recipes along with remembrances from women who were teenagers and young married women in the 1940s. I picked it up to give me ideas of how to used the produce from my version of a victory garden, but I found that I enjoyed the information about rationing and war-time sacrifices more than the actual recipes. The spirit of cheerfully trying to satisfy your family during the lean times is what I will take away from reading this book.
Erika
I loved this one. A couple pages of facts and history before each chapter of recipes fascinated me. There were pictures and anecdotes and ads from WWII. A lot of these recipes reminded me of things my grandmother made and brought back some good memories. Some of these would be good for right now as well with food so expensive.
Lady Shockley
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Terribly interesting, finding out how home cooks dealt with rationing and the things they used as substitutes or replacements for meat, butter and fats. I particularly enjoyed seeing all the advertisements and propaganda from the era - encouragement to save your fat and sell it back to the butcher for glycerine production. Butter or bombs, indeed.
Jaime David
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I actually read the baking version of this book, but I thought it was very educational to read a cookbook that has a point of view from history. I learned a lot about substitutions for baking in general and the recipes were all very good, especially the potato bread.
Rose Ann
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great cookbook filled with recipes, ads, pictures from WW2, and gives insight into what it was like to cook when everything was rationed. Fascinating and also a lot of the recipes are very good!
Sharon
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
Amazing book! I love the recipes and the info that goes with them! I want this one for my own shelf!
Terri
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Pretty interesting book. Lots of narrative about how and why foods were rationed. Lots of pictures of the posters that were used to promote rationing "for the boys".
sylph
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This was very enjoyable, and nicely informative. I can never get enough of the subject and would have enjoyed even more information and details about daily cooking and shopping and gardening efforts.
Toni
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, but I also read a lot about food history. Some personal stories, some recipes--just an interesting read.
Janelle
Jun 02, 2019
Pam
Mar 20, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify Your Life
  • Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar, #1)
  • My Southern Journey: True Stories from the Heart of the South