Start by marking “Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)” as Want to Read:
Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)

Lord of Scoundrels

(Scoundrels #3)

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  28,556 ratings  ·  2,344 reviews
Tough minded Jessica Trent's sole intention is to free her nitwit brother from the destructive influence of Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain. She never expects to desire the arrogant, amoral cad. And When Dain's reciprocal passion places them in a scandously compromising, and public, position, Jessica is left with no choice but to seek satisfaction...

Dam
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Lord of Scoundrels, please sign up.
Erika Then this book is your must read! 😃I wouldnt say it is insta love, much more like attraction growing into something more, but they are both passionate…moreThen this book is your must read! 😃I wouldnt say it is insta love, much more like attraction growing into something more, but they are both passionate about life itself, so the story flows smoothly and I was smiling a lot of times because of their dialogues 😂 I re-read this book just yesterday and I can't tell how many times I already did that. I don' t remember. Give it a try. I highly recommed this one. (less)
Pananda YES! A miracle. Characters from other books appear, but in a minor way. Any "bystander" could fill their role. We don't need their backstory, and she …moreYES! A miracle. Characters from other books appear, but in a minor way. Any "bystander" could fill their role. We don't need their backstory, and she doesn't dump one on us! It's WONDERFUL!! Similarly, the main characters here didn't do anything in the other books, so you don't need to read those to understand them here. Bertie, the brother, is an amusing minor character who made me laugh in other books - but again, no book overlap. (less)

·  28,556 ratings  ·  2,344 reviews

Start your review of Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
chan ☆
romances that make me laugh & swoon are top tier. especially with a truly domineering heroine & emotionally damaged hero. chef's kiss. ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is my favorite book of all time (well, tied with Jane Eyre). Great hero, heroine, story, humor, romance, angst. Perfect except I didn't want it to end.

I fell in love with Dain from the moment of his birth. He was an ugly baby, loved only by his dearest mother, who was taken away from him. He was horribly treated by others growing up because of his half-Italian heritage and his large nose and ungainly features. Not knowing love, he felt he was unworthy of being loved. As an adult, he lived
Dinjolina
Mar 26, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book.I hated the hero.I hated his brat.I hated everybody but the heroine, and her I pitied for having these other morons around.

Well. Now I feel like I kicked a puppy because everybody told me to read this book and that it would be wonderful.
It was beautifully written, sure.
And it had a lot of scenery change that consumed a big chunk of time,while other HR usually happen in a matter of days,or if they do not,we just get a FIVE WEEKS LATER insert and then the story unnaturally moves
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Lovers
Recommended to UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish by: Danielle "The Book Huntress" Hill

On sale!!!! To celebrate its 20th anniversary, Lord of Scoundrels Kindle edition is on sale for just $1.99! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000...

Edited to Add: Renee just pointed out that the Audible version is reduced to $2.99 if you own the Kindle Version!!!!!! (Thanks, Renee!!!)

Edited Again to Add: If you don't already own the Kindle version, you can still get this for the sale price of $6.95 during Audible's Big Hits sale. (Thanks Lady Wesley!!!)

My review.....

This is one of the best hist
Auntee
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone
Recommended to Auntee by: Eastofoz
I hardly know what to say about this one. I haven't read too many historicals in the past year, but boy oh boy, maybe I should start! This book had me totally riveted! The story, the witty dialogue, the oh-so-complicated hero, the take-no-guff heroine, the whole love/hate thing between the H/h--it was at times funny, sad, frustrating, but there was never a dull moment. At times I felt sooo sorry for Dain, who grew up unwanted and unloved, but other times I wanted to slap him upside the head and ...more
Mo
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Damn the minx for tempting him, kissing him ... and then forcing him to salvage her reputation! Lord Dain can't wait to put the infuriating bluestocking in her place --- and in some amorous position, And if that means marriage, so be it! --- though Sebastian is less than certain he can continue to remain aloof ... and steel his heart to the sensuous, headstrong lady's considerable charms.

I really enjoyed this book.
Sebastian, tortured, shunned by his father.
Jessica, sweet, independe
Geri Reads
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

Now I know why this book is considered a classic in the romance genre. I was utterly charmed by the unconventional love story between Lord Dain and Jessica Trent. Dain was described as somewhat less than an appealing hero, physically with a countenance of a brute. But boy, did he won me over in the end not by changing into someone unrecognizable but just by being him and falling in love with Jessica.

Jessica Trent is one of the best heroines I've read of all time. Seriously, this girl
Erika
It's the most unhappy people who most fear change.
-Mignon McLaughlin-

Intense Prayer
And this time, the grown man asked, with the same despair a little boy had asked, decades ago: Why will You not help me?

It's the kind of romance with hero like Dain, someone whose pain was hurting me too. I wanted to tell him that I know, I understand. I wanted to reach him, hug him, soothe him,
This time, he felt as lost and helpless as that little boy had been, trying to understand why his Heavenly Father had made him
Bibi
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 stars for the first half, 2 for the latter. Overall, 3.5 stars

Ingie
Written December 13, 2014

5 Huge Stars - Hilarious chuckling fun audiobook listening. - Great plot, amusing banters and wicked characters

A by many readers highly beloved historical romance. The hilarious enjoying story about Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain and Lady Jessica Trent. Written already 1995.

I've listened to the 11:39 hrs audiobook narrated by Kate Reading.
 photo 026fed18ae6cc1107ee02be348610ea2_zpsefdfeacc.jpg

“You'll want all your strength for the wedding night.”
“I cannot think why I should need
MelissaB
Wow! This book was very good. For once I loved the heroine! Plus the hero had some very dark parts of his personality that needed to be worked through.

The book starts out explaining how the Marquess of Dain became the cynical rake he is today. His father was very cruel to him and his mother ran away leaving him all alone. He is half Italian, so he has a big nose and a very awkward body as a child for which he is tormented mercilessly while at Eton, where his dad sent him when he was eight. He le
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Re-read via audio 11/23/2019

Audio - 5 stars!!
Story - revised rating bumping up to 5 stars!

I have no idea why I complained about the writing style the first time I read this book. I loved the writing, and I loved the story more the 2nd time around.
_________________________
1/25/2016
4.25. This would have been a 5 star read for me if not for the author's writing style. I found myself having to go back and read a paragraph or a page over again to understand what was happening or being said. Other the
Sammy Loves Books
Time for a 3rd re-read of an Absolute Favorite!!!

Original Review:

Wow!! This book lives up to the hype! I absolutely loved the heroine. She was smart, sassy, honest, and kept the hero on his toes. Nothing about her was predictable and she was perfect for this emotionally scarred hero.

Marquess of Dain

description

These two are one of my favorite couples and I look forward to re-reading this book in the near future!!
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I read this book for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2017 Reading Challenge. For more info about what this is, click here.

LORD OF SCOUNDRELS has been on my to-read list for five years, so I was delighted when it was selected as the book of the month for the Unapologetic Romance Readers monthly read. One of my favorite romance pairings is the no-nonsense shrew with the duke of slut. I was expecting something along the lines o
Princess under cover
It started off really well - from the first time they met and how she struck him dumb with her repartee! Priceless!

It got better, the back and forth banter and my favorite scene when she ran out of his house and he chased her down the street and there's a rainstorm, and she bashed his chest with her wilted hat until he gave in and kissed her.

I can just see him: confoundedly shouting: "what do you want, woman!"
She wants you to kiss her, dummy! :)

And then she shot him in the arm. That was a bit mu
Warda
This book had me from the beginning. The attitude, the sass, the wittiness, the writing... chefs fuckin kiss!
Sophia Triad
Many literary awards and many glowing reviews for this historical romance. They are all well-earned!

“I’ve wanted you, too, Dain. I thought I’d go mad.”
“Fool,” he said. Mad she was, to want such an animal.
“Your fool,” she said.
“Stop it, Jess.” She was nobody’s fool, least of all his.
“I love you.”
The words shot through him and beat upon his heart. He couldn’t let them in.
He withdrew almost completely, only to drive again, harder this time.
“You can’t stop me,” she gasped. “I love you.”
Again and aga
Didi
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS

This book has been sitting on my trb shelf for a while now and I was only reminded of it by other GR friends reading it. Well, I'm glad I did! It was very well written and featured one of the most compelling Hero's I've ever read.
Lord Dain, or Sebastian Ballister, is probably the most tortured, most interesting yet one of the most singularity attractive and sexy male leads around. Even if this is HR, his characterization is timeless. His upbringing was tragic, what, with a distant and rut
Jan
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
3.5 stars. I liked, but didn't *love* it. I had read and enjoyed this book a number of years ago and decided to give it another try. I recently read its sequel (for the first time!), The Last Hellion, and really liked it, so I went in feeling hopeful. And yes, I did enjoy Lord Of Scoundrels again this time. But for me it wasn't quite as good as The Last Hellion.

I know this is Ms Chase's most popular book, and many put it in their top ten of all HRs. And in many ways it is a rollicking, fun read
Duchess Nicole
"A monster he may be, but he was her monster."
Buddy read with Raquel and Ashlee :)
♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

QUICK NOTES:

♦ I loved the heroine! She went on my favorite heroine shelf. She takes no bull but has the patience and perseverance to be amazing.

♦ Sebastian was great as well but good grief was he stubborn and pessimistic. However, he's also an unforgettable character and the slow, steady fall he does for Jessica is what romance is all about.

♦ I'm not sure I ever read such won
Juliana Philippa
I have to say that this was my first Loretta Chase romance, and though it didn't put me off the author completely, I definitely did not enjoy it as most everyone else seems to have. People seem to adore this book and I guess I just missed the boat on that one. Lord of Scoundrels was not at all horrible, though, which is why I plan to read more Loretta Chase before I make a definite decision on this author. As one other reviewer wrote, there was just something missing ... he was (mostly) great, s ...more
Rane
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers who love a great story!
When I picked up this book, I thought I would be in for a dark romance of two lonely people. What I got is two of the best characters in romance.

This book had me laughing at times that I would re-read the passage for another laugh. It had some of the best banter between two characters I’ve ever read and two complex yet simple leads you could understand on a very human level.

Beelzebub...er. I mean Dain came across as a selfish, hard nosed, vain, self-center man who could care and do less for a
Dina
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read this book praised all over the net, I confess I was a bit afraid of being disappointed. In the end, I WAS somewhat disappointed, because it didn´t wowed me as much as I expected. I really liked LOS, but it's not my #1 all-time favorite book.

What I loved:

1- The hero and the heroine, Jessica and Dain, were not like the standard characters so common in historical romances, that is, the gorgeous hero and the naive heroine. From the beginning, I was captivated by characters who "broke the
Julianna
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency Romance Fans
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

I absolutely loved Lord of Scoundrels. This was my first reading of a Loretta Chase novel, and I will definitely be seeking out other books written by her in the future. Jessica was an extraordinary heroine who had a near perfection that one does not often find in a romance novel. Independent heroines can often become irritating to me, but Jessica was a thorough delight, a wonderful mix of charm, wit, strength, and heartfelt devotion. In spite of his utterly debauc
Summer
Once again I've read a book that I've forgotten I've already read. Thankfully I barely remember much from it so I didn't know what was going to happen for the most part.

Generally speaking the first 150 pages of this book was magic. The lady Jessica Trent comes from a noble, if eccentric, family. Her grandmother is a famous 'femme fatale' whom even now is still getting marriage offers. Jessica herself is not a young maiden but is constantly getting marriage offers due to her beauty and rich fami
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Yowza. LOTS of angst in this here missive. Lots. So if you're not into angst, well...

I want to say I hated the hero. I want to. But I didn't hate him. Perhaps I SHOULD have, but I found myself instead curiously pondering the marked differences between cultures. Dain's mother was a spirited, passionate young Italian woman, and her temperament catastrophically clashed with that of her much older, stodgy English husband who assumed his firebrand of a wife was a bride of Satan. The result ended up
Chitra *CJ*
He went to work with speedy efficiency on the other glove. “I must be besotted,” he said evenly. “I have the imbecilic idea that you’re the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen. Except for your coiffure,” he added, with a disgusted glance at the coils and plumes and pearls. “That is ghastly.”

She scowled. “Your romantic effusions leave me breathless.”

"Lord of Scoundrels" is the story of Jessica and Dain.

I am so glad I've finally reached this milestone. This book had featured in over hundred listopia
Varian Rose
This...I wanted to love it. I was told over and over again how awesome it was. Like Flowers from the Storm, they said...they lied. This was nothing like Flowers.

Reading this book was like listenng to bad black metal. It was like expecing the majesty, atmospehere and emotion of Limbonic Art's Moon In The Scorpio, only to get a bad Cradle of Filth ripoff instead.

I was told that this was the book to give non-romance readers who were curious about the genre. No. This book reads like a parody of the
FlibBityFLooB
The first half of this book was a lot of fun to read, right up until the point where the heroine pulled a gun on the hero. From that point, I began to question my sanity in reading the book, as well as my own comprehension of the English language.

What, you ask, would cause me to wonder if I understood English? Well, you're reading this, so I will share a few choice sentences from the book:

"What the Bane and Blight of the Ballisters was, at the moment, was terrified." (pg 173 in my copy). Umm
Amanda
This is still my favorite historical romance after so many years. The rereading can still make me laugh so hard throughout the book. I'm in love with both the characters. The hero and heroine are such a unique and refreshing characters to all the other stereotypical reform rake and blushing virgin. I just can't get enough of Dain and Jessica!

• Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)
  • Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1)
  • What I Did for a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)
  • Suddenly You
  • Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)
  • It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
Loretta Lynda Chekani was born in 1949, of Albanian ancestry. For her, the trouble started when she learned to write in first grade. Before then, she had been making up her own stories but now she knew how to write them down to share. In her teenage years, she continue to write letters, keep a journal, write poetry and even attempt the Great American Novel (still unfinished). She attended New Engl ...more

Scoundrels (4 books)
  • The Lion's Daughter (Scoundrels, #1)
  • Captives of the Night (Scoundrels, #2)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)

Articles featuring this book

Fans of Sarah MacLean know her as a writer of historical romances, a passionate defender of the romance genre, and a creator of some truly...
“Jessica, you are a pain in the arse, do you know that? If I were not so immensely fond of you, I should throw you out the window."

She wrapped her arms about his waist and laid her head against his chest. "Not merely 'fond,' but 'immensely fond.' Oh Dain, I do believe I shall swoon."

"Not now," he said crossly. "I haven't time to pick you up.”
169 likes

She scowled. “Your romantic effusions leave me breathless.”
136 likes