Start by marking “Wasted: A Childhood Stolen, An Innocence Betrayed, A Life Redeemed” as Want to Read:
Wasted: A Childhood Stolen, An Innocence Betrayed, A Life Redeemed

Wasted: A Childhood Stolen, An Innocence Betrayed, A Life Redeemed

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  455 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
As a young child, Mark Johnson and his siblings would turn up to school battered and bruised by their alcoholic father, but no one ever investigated their home life. Mark just slipped through the cracks and kept on falling for years. He was stealing at the age of six, was drinking by the age of eight, and took his first hit of heroin when he was just eleven. A sensitive an ...more
Published May 19th 2009 by Pegasus (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Wasted, please sign up.

Wayne Purvis
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I flew this book in record time. An amazing and quite a depressing story of how someone can truly hit rock bottom and then somehow manage to turn their life around.
Stacey.
Content would have been 4, but writing style was a 1-2
Angela
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this book was amazing , so powerfully written . It was like being on a emotional roller coaster 5 stars all the way
Lou Robinson
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
Tragic true story of a boy growing up in a violent family and his descent into a life of drugs and crime. Eventually, he ends up sleeping rough on London streets, scary what goes on right under your nose as you wander into work. Has a very positive ending though!
Paul McDonald
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this bleak memoir by Mark Johnson. The writing itself can be a bit dry and basic but the impact of the story itself makes up for that easily.
Lynne
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-reviewed
In this memoir, Mark Johnson candidly recounts his life as a born addict. Through a childhood as an abused, emotionally neglected, thieving street-running boy, he grows into a man who turns his life into a drug-fueled party. But after years of what seems to be a "manageable" habit that he continuously justifies to himself, he fathers a child. When he overdoses and wakes to find the needle still in his arm, his two-year-old son crying hysterically, dirty diaper falling off, the mother banging on ...more
Kel Sta
If you were living in England and struggling with addiction issues, this book might change your life. An autobiographical account of a life controlled by alcohol and drugs for decades, it's well-written and (I suspect) well edited. It's written in the present tense, which gives the vivid and often strikingly original descriptive passages real immediacy. There's an astounding amount of detail that either indicates this is one dude whose long-term memory has made it through drug abuse unscathed, o ...more
Angela
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
|At first I thought, "Oh no, another account of abused children at the hands of an alcoholic father." But it is remarkably and candidly writted by a man who chronicles his own search for the love he needs through spent relationships, transience, jail time, alcohol and drug use, and right down the shaft of a dirty heroin needle.Chronicled are the struggles with rehab, and his attempts to stay clean for his own children. I would not suggest this for the struggling addict in rehab because the love ...more
Elise Jensen
This is a hard book to read. Painful. Brutal. I had to take breaks to hug my son and my husband, particularly in the parts that concerned children: the author himself and his siblings, then his own sons. I can't say "it was good," or "I enjoyed it," because it seems like the wrong thing to say about a memoir this tragic, but I feel like it was definitely a worthwhile read, particularly for anyone considering work in the field of substance abuse and/or mental health.

P.S. Dear goodreads, the autho
Suzanne
May 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Martin Poetz
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was shocked when I started listening to this book but soon I had to realise that the story of Mark Johnson's life is not unique. Domestic abuse, alcohol and drug addictions, homelessness... are reality for too many people. But this is not a story of misery and despair, this is story of hope and inspiration. This memoir illustrates how cruel life can be but also how much one can achieve if they only want.
This is a great and inspiring listen!
James Poole
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, great account of life as an addict and startling at times in terms of the lengths that the author went to to get the next "hit". Refreshing change for a book of this genre in that the vast majority of the book is about life as an addict rather than 50 / 50 split of addiction / rehab that many other books fall into.
Liane
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an amazing, no bullshit, I fucked up big time but got it back together, book. I admire this man so much, I doubt anyone would have been surprised if he had ended up dead in an alley, but he didn't and for that (and knowing exactly how hard his situation was to turn around) I think the guy is incredible.
Dramaticjen
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed

Wow, everyone should read this incredibly honest account of seeming hopelessness and despair. An extraordinary emotional roller-coaster of a read but a journey so worth taking, life changing stuff!
Chase Parsley
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure I put the book down. An amazing account of a drug addict in the UK - it made me question, hard, how our society deals with this issue. Also I gave this book to a friend and it became her all-time favorite book.
Jessi
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! The main question I had after reading this book is how is Mark Johnson still alive? I usually don't read books written by authors from England but I really enjoyed "Wasted". I would recommend this to anyone looking for a book on addiction.
Tressa
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book is depressing but amazing at the same time. A real story of triumph over adversity.There's a whole lot about his addictions, especially drug use, so don't read it if you think you'll be offended!!
Angélique (Angel)
This book--Wow. The journey that Mark made is absolutely incredible, as well as the rawness with which he recounted it. He described his struggle so poignantly that I was brought to tears several times throughout the book.
Iangagn
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many criticize the writing style, but I didn't find it particularly bad or anything. Mark was dealt a bad hand at birth and he made the most of it, eventually. I felt a little let down by the fact that not much is said about his success story, but other than that it was fun to read.
Tracey
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Lots of gritty detail about drugs etc but as I work in a prison it gave me an insight into the life of an addict
David
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Brutal and savage, amazing he's still alive after all the drugs he's taken and come through to tell his story.
Alan Holdgate
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well worth a read I take my hat off to mark johnson for getting out of a life of abuse
Well done mark and a great book
Bruce Morse
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book I have read in a while.
Paul
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it'll be difficult to find a more engulfing book...once started, i didn't stop until finished! an awesome weekends read
Beverley hopper
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fantastic book told from the heart by mark a true story well written
Marcas Ó cualáin
Brilliant :)
Paula Pants
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a brilliant book, I kept reading on as I had to know what was going to happen next. A very good read :-)
AnnMarie Johnson
A stark, powerful memoir of abuse--at the hands of his father as well as his own self-abusive behavior addicted to drugs and alcohol. Does not pull any punches.
sara warner
scary. sad. gross. fascinating. a peek into another world.
Timo
Mar 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kaisa
  • Mum, Can You Lend Me Twenty Quid?
  • My Father's House
  • Saved From Silence
  • In My Skin: A Memoir
  • Childhood Interrupted
  • Leaving Dirty Jersey: A Crystal Meth Memoir
  • The Boy from Baby House 10: From the Nightmare of a Russian Orphanage to a New Life in America
  • Everything I Never Wanted to Be