Start by marking “Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry” as Want to Read:
Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry

Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry

Morals and Dogma has been described as "a collection of thirty-two essays which provide a philosophical rationale for the degrees (membership levels) of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite. The lectures provided a backdrop for the degrees by giving lessons in comparative religion, history, and philosophy."
Published 1944 by L. H. Jenkins, Inc. Edition Book Manufacturers (first published 1871)

Dr. Barrett  Dylan Brown, Phd
The very first book i ever read on Magick, finding my Paternal Grandfather's copy in the garage when I was 12. The metaphysics and Sacred Geometry in this book is so intricate as to be very nearly impossible to read for anyone not already deeply familiar with the subject. Meant to only be owned by 32nd degree Scottish Rite Masons, copies can be found on ebay and in used book stores around the world. If anyone doubts that Ceremonial Magick is a part of Freemasonry, a brief look at this book shoul ...more
Desiree Finkbeiner
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Life defining text, one that requires dedicated and open-minded study. This book called to me from a box of old books at an estate sale; a 1928 edition in beautiful condition. It took much longer to study than most texts due to the depth of symbolic meaning, but I found it to be spiritually exciting, enlightening and life-defining to some degree. I began reading this before my initiation into a co-masonic obedience, and though we are encouraged to study books at our level of masonic degree, I fo ...more
Nox Prognatus
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a truly excellent book. It is a great insight to Freemasonry, and uses the degrees to illustrate the works. This is NOT the work of A Pike. He is not the author so much as the editor. Nevertheless, it is insightful and thought provoking in the lessons it confers.

It is a very long book, which took me a long time to read, due to all the extra research it invoked from me. Some chapters are better than others, and some become repetitive. that said, a great deal of work and lots of different
Barry
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
People who say they can't read this book haven't really tried to read this book....if *I* can do it, then anyone can. He did a great job of bringing together philosophies and belief systems of all sorts (which were ADMITTEDLY borrowed....he never claimed to have written the whole thing!!) and integrating them with his own views (which everyone is free to accept or reject; stated on one of the first pages). A masterpiece of 1800's victorian prose : )
George
Jul 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Freemasons, those interested in Freemasonry, comparative religion, esoterica
One of the two books that prompted me to become a Freemason.

At 861 pages of text with a 218 page index, it is a bear to get through, but one of the best books on comparative religion / comparative mysticism.
Bob
Feb 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Morals & Dogma is over 860 pages, it is a long & difficult read. As a pastor I wanted to read it for myself as I am doing a lot of research & thinking about the Masons. I wanted to go directly to their books (this being one that many said they revered) myself & read in their own words what they are about & what they have to say about themselves.

My question is “Can one be a true/devout Christian be a part of or joined to the Masons? From reading this the answer is a clear “NO.
Kevin Driskill
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Albert Pike was a genius and an man of so many passions and adventures that all Americans should be familiar with his life and work. This book is attributed to the subject of masonry - the fraternal organization of ancient origin and international influence - yet it covers so much territory it is difficult to put it in any one category. This is a densely packed volume of immeasurable scope and will take some time to digest but is truly a national treasure.
Michael B
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must for Travelers
Jordan Fitzgerald
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Extremely dry as any piece of pre-1900s nonfiction is. While I was amazed at how educated and full of wisdom Mr. Pike is; I will say that he writing style is atrocious. There are many times he will start to build on a mystical doctrine and then change course all of a sudden for a 20 page ramble. I had to read this book like I was taken medicine. Small forced doses that I did not enjoy; but, thought in the long term it would be worth it.
Rob
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
While not as important to most Masons as society would believe, Morals and Dogma is still an interesting look at one man's view of Freemasonry.
John Stovall
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insight... but extremely dense.
Chris
Oct 06, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
What a great book on esoteric thought and a great insight into masonic teachings.
Alex Auclair
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
pure brilliance, every chapter fully invigorating and bursting with knowledge.
Anjo Insainment
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Although this is mostly plagiarized it is a look into "real" masonic beliefs. There are techically 2 kinds of Freemasonry, the one that's out in open and the secret society that believes secrets are a kind of power and the lower level masons (under 14) barely know anything about the Freemasons in general, some also deny there's a 33rd degree, but that's because it's only attainable through the secret society. Albert Pike was Luciferian Freemason (secret) and this book used to be given to masons ...more
Michael Gardner-Bey
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This work is for adepts and all who have delved into the deeper mysteries...a life time study and must be explored manfully and understanding of what I call pragmatic absolutes. this is an enigma wrapped in paradox and shrouded in mystery...but be mindful that things cease to be a mystery once they are explained and understood...but if you truly want to know the royal secret, exhume our nation of people from the shallow grave of the 14th & 15th amendment which is the rubbish that Hiram has b ...more
Shawn Fairweather
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
For those who are Masons, they will obviously find more value in this than I have. At times it felt as if I was reading a work that resembles Jehovahs Witness or FLDS philosophical propaganda. For those who are wrapped up in the conspiracy theories and tie ins with the illuminati thanks to Dan Browns hollywoodizing of the subject matter, you will most likely be dissappointed. Pike obviously on many occassions talks in circles incorporating symbolism, massaged historical interpretations, establis ...more
Äsruþr Cyneaþsson
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An extremely interesting book. Many take aspects of this work and employ it as reasoning for why Mason's are to be feared. I hold that they are misreading the work.

Some of the insights into the rites and teachings of Freemasonry discussed here by Pike are enlightening to read and represent an acknowledge syncretisation of a wider array of thought and teachings from numerous sources. It is worth your time if you have ever wished to know more about the Mason's or as a primer to wider questions.
Bob G
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is a very tedious book to read. It is highly repetitive and not well organized. The good part of the book is that if you want to find out more about what free masonry is, this is a book written from the inside. I do not know if it represents the current reality of the organization, but with so much mention of the "secret society" in movies and books, I felt I needed to slog through the book.

I felt I learned a lot from it, BUT it is not well written.

I would rather struggle with better writer
Tanner
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is widely read by scottish rite freemasons. While im not a mason myself, ive been researching them for a long time. Masonry is a mystery school and fraternity. Most masons aren't particularly christian in a traditonal sense and most of them are knowledgeable about other cultures and religions. Many times islam and zoroastrians are mentioned. While masons emphasize equality, they are selective in who they initiate. And they keep their business secret.

I hope to use this info to become a
Steve Dotson
Aug 16, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: western occultists/kabbalists
Albert Pike did his homework! A General in the U.S. Civil War, he was well versed in Science(especially plant and animal life), Kabbala, History, Some Eastern Mysticism, Cultural Superstitions, Western Upper class Mysticism etc...
Pike ties together the meaning of the degree without giving away the actual initiation procedure. Symbols from dead and living religions all find a home in the degrees.
Marcus Ain Oz
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Certainly agreeable, as I do not agree much with anything I read as the last time I found something agreeable it was the bible, and even that had to grow on me, therefore that I think it agreeable is the greatest praise I can give, most excellent by far undervalued by people who cannot discern wisdom.
Christopher
Nov 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: masons
It spent the first several chapters reiterating the characteristics Pike thought should be inherently masonic. Although in the later chapters, he begins to delve into his own personal views on mysticism and kabalic history. It was actually pretty repetitive and a little more boring than I thought it would be.
Mac
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Possibly one of the most prolific and well written books in the philosophy and study of mankind that I've had the pleasure to read. A book written for deep thinkers, and it reads as if written by a Knight.

Every page breathes knowledge!
ʍous ƃuıʞ
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody interested in Freemasonry.

Being a Freemason myself, I absolutely had to read this book. If you are interested in "more light" I suggest you give this book a try. I think its really only suitable to the thinking types though...

Fiat Lux!
Mark Jordan
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very difficult to understand sometimes because the phrases were from long ago and what may have been said then translates somewhat differently now. Best to have a good contact to clarify information as not to interpret incorrectly. But very interesting book and so far a good read.
Alex Towey
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the most (if not THE most) prolific writers on Freemasonry. It is deep, and I recommend that you read a page at a time and meditate on what you have read before you move on. This is how I read the entire book and it worked great for me.
Jim Amy
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A massive, densely written tome of some 865 pages, the second time I tried to read it, I got sidetracked by other books and couldn't finish. Not a single initiation ritual in it but it is jam packed with all kind of philosophy. I intend to return to it someday.
Adam Long
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very heavy read. Challenging in it's philosophy and scope but fantastic. Very enlightening.
Ghaleb Zain
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A clear way to find ur self and others
Jason
Feb 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times inpenetrable if you don't happen to have a working knowledge of Latin, Greek, and Sanskrit.
  • Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry
  • A Bridge To Light , A Study in Masonic Ritual & Philosophy
  • The Meaning of Masonry
  • Freemasons For Dummies
  • The Key to Solomon's Key: Secrets of Magic and Masonry
  • The Lost Keys of Freemasonry
  • A New Encyclopaedia of Freemasonry (Ars Magna Latomorum) And of Cognate Instituted Mysteries: Their Rites, Literature and History (Combined Edition: Two ... Rites Literature and History/2 Volumes in 1)
  • Duncan's Ritual of Freemasonry
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Freemasonry
  • Symbols of Freemasonry
  • The Temple and the Lodge
  • The Holy Books of Thelema
  • The Naked Capitalist
  • The Complete Golden Dawn System Of Magic (Ltd Edition)
  • Psychic Discoveries Behind the Iron Curtain.
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Rebels and Devils: The Psychology of Liberation
  • In Sorcery's Shadow: A Memoir of Apprenticeship among the Songhay of Niger
“Less glory is more liberty. When the drum is silent, reason sometimes speaks.” 18 likes
“Man's real genius and knowledge remains preserved in books” 13 likes