Start by marking “The Paradise Mystery” as Want to Read:

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  179 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
A quiet cathedral town in England, full of gossips and people who are not quite who they seem to be, is the setting for this murder mystery.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about The Paradise Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paradise Mystery

Carol  ꧁꧂
3.5★

But, it came very close to 4★ as it was a well written story in many ways with lots of twists & turns.

What I didn't like;

► Dr Ransford talking to himself at the beginning to show his feelings

► Some pages could have done with a bit of pruning

► Above all, I don't think Fletcher played fair with the reader. There was no way I could have guessed the solution to the mystery.

But (& even with spoiler tags, gentle reader, I can't tell you why!) what I loved was the character of Boyce! The
Susan
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read anything by J.S. Fletcher before this was chosen by a book group I belong to, and, as it is a very early mystery – even by Golden Age standards – first published in 1921, I was worried that I would find it very dated. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how good this was and, actually, how relevant the themes are – not only for then, but also for now – with love, greed and revenge raising their heads.

The ‘paradise’ of the title refers to a piece of land near Wrychester Cathe
Jan C
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
At times I seemed to lose the story but never for very long. And it certainly enthused toward the end.
Monica
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fletcher certainly knows how to spin a good mystery. Written in 1921 this mystery is of course dated, but that is part of the charm and reading delight of this book. A wonderful intricate plot that at times had me taking a step back so that I could take a few minutes to tie the strings together. Absolutely no way to be my own detective in solving the deaths that happen and yet the wrapping up in the final pages is all based on a solid story. A shocking ending that I never saw coming, likeable an ...more
Julia
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my second book by J.S.Fletcher, and I will definitely be reading more. There's a man flung from the top of a cathedral, then another murder (supposedly to cover up the first one), lots of behind the scenes investigation into burial and marriage records, questionable parentage, questionable motives, changed names, poisonings, twists and turns galore. Quite an exciting mystery.
Jessica Powell
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fletcher doing what he does best - hidden identities, mysterious secrets, grasping characters you love to hate...
Janet E.
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Characters whim you may not like give this mystery a unique quality and brings you to the 1920s with such fidelity you might actually be there. The Paradise is not what you'd think, reading the title. "Paradise" is the ancient name for an enclosure in the Close of Wrychester, one of Britain's most beautiful medieval Cathedrals. The "Paradise" close is otherworldly, full of ancient tombs and gravestones. Among the houses in the Close is that of bachelor Dr. Mark Ransford and his two twenty-year-o ...more
Kathy
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Secret longings for a character you may despise while reading this book, no matter how artfully devious he may be, to meet with his own reward eventuates. When does that happen? This was just my second Fletcher mystery and he did not show quite as much humor, but it broke out now and then when describing certain characters. I shall keep reading his mystery books since I downloaded quite a few from Amazon, all free. Great reading!
Marts  (Thinker)
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A rather interesting and quite complex classic mystery encompassing a murder which occurs in a quiet cathedral town and involving a myriad of characters all of which keep the reader quite puzzled throughout...
Samantha Glasser
Jul 28, 2014 marked it as to-read
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/5308/5...
Elaine
audio Librivox
Someone dies. Murder? Someone knew too much so he gets bumped off. All signs seem to point to the doctor.
Yibbie
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, novels
What a puzzler! It's fast moving, have a multitude of twists, and a really good solution. The perfect book for a long trip.
Elaine Bidstrup
This book has one of those main characters that you"love to hate." Bryce is egotistical, self-centered, feels he can do no wrong, and that if he tries hard enough and is ruthless enough, he can get anything he wants - including a woman who has no interest in him.
There are two murders in this book, both difficult and almost impossible for a mid-19th century village policeman to solve and the help of a a Scotland Yard Detective is of little help, although the actual murder is right in front of th
Larry
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is hard for me to rate. It started out really interesting but after a bit it wandered around and I was unsure if it was worth the effort to continue. I stuck it out and the closer it got to the end the better it got. There ended up being quite a few characters to keep track of and some of the clues seem to come out of nowhere. I would actually rate this book 3.5 stars but that would prevent me from reading another book by J. S. Fletcher so I will give it 4 stars.
Greg Robinson
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the elements of an historical novel.

Mystery in the English countryside.

Descriptions bring clear mental images of life at the close of the 19th century, and the pace at which solutions developed before the advent of technology.

Beth Rockwell
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written, with fascinating plot twists.
I enjoyed it.
michael pilgrim
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Supur cool

Good read good story line . good language. Very good ending . not my choice but good. Another countryside English mystery
William O'Brien
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
by J.S. Fletcher

An interesting read.

Super mystery story.
Damaskcat
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A man falls to his death in a cathedral - did he fall or was he pushed? The inquest records a verdict of death by misadventure but more than one person is dubious about the death. Dr Pemberton Bryce has just been sacked by his employer Dr Mark Ransford and he has his suspicions about whether or not his former employer was involved in the death. He sets out to investigate the case for his own reasons as he wants to marry his erstwhile employer's ward - Mary - who wants nothing to do with him.

The
John
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Another provincial town story set in a cathedral close much beloved of English crime writers of the period and their readers alike.

An unusual story with no particular detective or main protagonist. This seemed a bit strange but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

I would have given it four stars if there hadn't been some quite key elements of the story left glaringly unexplained. To detail these would go a long way to giving the game away.

I think J.S. Fletcher is sadly neglected these days especially as h
P.
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now here's a mystery that walks to a different drummer. You're not going to get what you think you're going to get. True, the secondary characters are thin? not well developed? not developed at all? and the end is a bit harsh in my opinion, but Fletcher is not only a good writer, he knows [knew really] how to tell a tale.
Joan Thompson
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
another detective book written by JS Fletcher. I didnt feel this was as good as the others of his that I have read. the plot and mystery developed well but deflated very quickly in the last few pages. It was as if he didnt know how to end it.
Leslie
3.5*
(view spoiler)

I found this a fun quick read and will read more by this author.
Jack
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Complex 1920s mystery with lots of twists and turns
A. C.
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable yarn, good mystery

Ransford and Mary are sympathetic protagonists, Bryce a complex polyglot, and all charters are believable, as is this engaging story.
Jenny
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fletcher-j-s, mystery
Another excellent page turner.
Diane
May 07, 2016 added it
A different twist on the usual amateur detective.
Dahlia
Jan 09, 2009 rated it did not like it
I did not care for this book. I like turn of the century romances. But I guess I don't like turn of the century forensics!
Jill
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the story. Found that some of the information was inserted rather late , as an afterthought maybe. Will definitely read more of this author
Gwen Madoc
Mar 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Reading the Detec...: May 2016 - The Paradise Mystery by J.S. Fletcher 25 31 May 23, 2016 10:40PM
  • The Abandoned Room
  • The Mystery of 31 New Inn
  • The Scarab Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #5)
  • A Strange Disappearance
  • The Clue of the Twisted Candle
  • The Yellow Claw (Gaston Max, #1)
  • The HiT Series - Box Set
  • Cold Crossover (Ernie Creekmore)
  • The Dead Alive
  • The Agony Column
  • Soho Slasher: Jack Is Back: A Harbinger Crossover Novel to International Hunters, Inc.
  • Aleutian Grave
  • Bubble Screen (Burnside Series # 3)
  • Gone But Not Goodbye (Nathan Miccoli #2)
  • The Rustlers of Pecos County
  • Dialogues of a Crime
  • Henry Wood Edge of Understanding (Henry Wood Detective, #4)
  • The Dangerous Thaw of Etta Capstone
Joseph Smith Fletcher (1863 - 1935) was a British journalist, writer, and fellow of the Royal Historical Society. He studied law before turning to journalism.

His literary career spanned approximately 200 books on a wide variety of subjects including fiction, non-fiction, histories, historical fiction, and mysteries. He was known as one of the leading writers of detective fiction in the Golden Ag
“contrary," answered Bryce, "the hand” 0 likes