Jump to ratings and reviews

Glory #2

Glory Unbound

Shackled to a controlling boyfriend by gold bracelets locked on her wrists, will she ever learn to live on her own terms?

Chicago, 1984. Glory Bishop wishes to feel safe in love. Rescued by her unwanted fiancé from her abusive mother’s violence, the seventeen-year-old warily moves into his wealthy mom’s luxurious house to get away. Overwhelmed and confused by the kindness and grace her host shows, Glory struggles to know how to behave.

Blossoming in the new environment where she is treated like a princess, the scarred teenager finally starts to feel good about her life. But when her controlling intended crashes her senior prom, she’s mortified when he roughly drags her away from her drunken friends.

Can she accept an offer of freedom and independence, or will she fall further under his control?

Glory Unbound is the dramatic second book in the Glory Bishop women’s literary fiction series. If you like brave characters, tense twists and turns, and unwavering hope, then you’ll adore Deborah L. King’s powerful story of self-determination.

470 pages, Kindle Edition

First published November 1, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Deborah L. King

3 books296 followers
Deborah King has been a writer and storyteller her whole life. She published her first short story when she was seven years old. When she’s not writing, Deborah enjoys cartoons, cooking, photography, and Star Trek. Born and raised in Chicago, Deborah has managed to achieve all of her childhood dreams and still lives in the area with her husband and two youngest children. According to her daughter, she has “literally aced her life!”

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 22 of 22 reviews
February 1, 2022
Deborah King has become one of my favorite people who spend time bringing to life the vivid and interesting characters that they've imagined. I, like I am sure you will, root for Glory.
The pages of her story were devoured as I awaited the moment, she would unbind herself from Malcolm, whose soul she has tied herself too. I hate Malcolm as much as I can hate any fictional character. His evil is not one-dimensional and at times he can even seem charming. But isn’t charm part of most monster’s lure?
You undoubtedly will debate what side of the spectrum his mother falls on. Is she, like her son, a master manipulator? Or does she truly have Glory’s best interest at heart?
Glory’s mother is at the center of this story and is the primary reason Glory has shackled herself Malcolm.
There is a Glory in most of our life’s. We can only pray that they too become unbound with an equal amount of satisfaction that’s in Glory Unbound.
Profile Image for Happy Booker.
1,283 reviews77 followers
March 11, 2022
Glory unbound is an African American historical fiction written about Glory Bishop. From the beginning, you realize that Glory is not having it easy. Her backstory, the relationship with her mother, and Malcolm, the villain, truly shape your mind about what she is dealing with.

You also get to see Malcolm’s side of things and get a picture of how you could become evil and not just be one for the sake of it.

This is a beautiful story, and it is a delight to read how Glory deals with the reality of all the complications she faces. I predominately enjoyed watching her stand up and become her own savior. The story’s pace is slow, but it needs to be that way, so you get drawn in.

Glory’s personality dealing with the abuse and the ill-treatment she faced was tough to read. The story is written well and described in such a way that you feel next to every scene.

I recommend this book to fiction readers and those who like to read African American Tales.
Profile Image for Mark taylor.
284 reviews6 followers
December 14, 2021
I Got Glory Unbound Glory: Book 2 by Deborah L. King from BookSirens for a fair and honest review.

Glory Unbound is the second book in the Glory series by Deborah L. King and starts straight after the events of Book 1.

When Glory has left her home address after being beaten by her mum, going to Malcom for help, the preacher who saved her life and who glory is going to marry after leaving school.
Moving in with Malcolm’s parents which gives her the life she can only dream of Glory is unsure if Malcolm’s mum is trying to split the pair up.
Is this because she does not want Glory in the family or there another reason.

Glory Unbound, is one of those novels that can be very difficult to read, not because of the writing style, but because of the subject matter.
With trigger warnings for rape, domestic violence, and sexual abuse, however all scenes involving these areas were well written and essential for the flow of the novel.
What I particularly liked about the novel is that while as a reader and a human being who has empathy I really connected with Glory, as she deals with the situation that she has fallen into. Which is not always the case in other books involving similar story lines.
In addition, at no point was Malcolm portrayed as a one-dimensional evil character, which again would have been very easy for the writer to do.
Which meant as a reader I never liked Malcolm and at times I hated him. However, with Deborah L. King’s writing it allowed me to in some way understand him.
In addition to the way in which the writer never over played the fact that the setting was 1980’s Chicago, there were things added into the story which reminded the reader of this fact without mentioning it every 5 minutes.
All this makes Glory Unbound Glory: Book 2 by Deborah L. King, a book that may not be the easiest subject matter but well worth the read.
Profile Image for Loretta Miles Tollefson.
Author 22 books25 followers
February 14, 2022
I don't know where to begin. This is one of the most powerful books I've read in a long time. I loved it. I think everyone should read it. It's gut-wrenching, heart-warming, and ultimately life-affirming. My only problem was that it ended--I wanted to know more about Glory and where her life takes her.
Profile Image for Jolie.
1,205 reviews37 followers
December 14, 2021
When the author emailed me and asked if I wanted to read/review Glory Unbound, I jumped at the chance. I had loved Glory Bishop, and I was hoping that Glory Unbound would answer any questions from the previous book. Not only did it answer all of my questions, but I loved it just as much as I loved Glory Bishop.

Glory Unbound is the 2nd book in the Glory Bishop series. Readers cannot read it as a stand-alone. There is so much that happened in book one that is carried over to book two, and you will be lost. The author does touch upon the major events but doesn’t go in-depth. So, I highly recommend reading Glory Bishop first.

As with Glory Bishop, Glory Unbound does start slowly, and it stays slow until halfway through the book. I was actually alright with how the book was paced. With everything happening in the first half of the book, I got why the author paced it the way she did. The book did pick up halfway through the book, and it was fast-paced from that point on.

I thought that Glory was a fantastic character. I had gone into this book thinking that she would be relatively flat. That wasn’t the case. The author added more layers to Glory, which were unpeeled as the book went on. She was an amazingly 3d character that I wished was the real deal.

I was not too fond of Malcolm, but I did feel bad for him at the same time. He was pressured to do what his father wanted instead of what he wanted at the church. And in turn, he took it out on Glory. There was a little point in the book, towards the beginning, where I thought he had changed. That was dashed the night of the coalition and the very public beating that Glory got in the car.

Glory Unbound has some graphic scenes of child abuse and spousal abuse. There are also some scenes (not graphic) of marital rape. My heart broke of Glory, and it shattered when she realized why the women in her church wore pancake makeup. She realized that as she was doing the same thing. I just wanted to reach through the book and hug her.

The author did something that I haven’t seen many authors do and succeed. She highlighted Glory’s life from the age of 6 to the beginning of Glory Bishop in Interludes. It showed her relationship with JT, Herschel, and her mother. It also added depth to Glory’s backstory.

I will not go much into the book past the halfway point. If I do, it could lead to spoilers. All I have to say is that Glory did something that I could never have seen her doing. Also, Malcolm got what was coming to him.

I hope that there is a book 3 in this series. I want to know what happens to Glory and if she will ever live her best life!!

I would recommend Glory Unbound to anyone over the age of 21. There is violence, language, and sex (consensual and non-consensual).
Profile Image for Janell Madison.
314 reviews11 followers
April 6, 2022
Glory Unbound by Deborah L. King

"Powerful, sad, and brave. Follow Glory on her journey from a young girl with an abusive mother to marrying the man who rescued her. But did he?"-Books and Pens on Green Gables

Glory got tricked into getting married to a boy she didn't like when she was five years old. It was the boy next door. And she took it seriously. Until her daddy explained she wasn't really married. Glory's daddy was her hero. He kept her safe from her mother, Mary.

Mary thought anytime Glory was disrepectful, made a bad decision, or just made Mary mad that she needed to be beaten. Her dad put a stop to it. Until he died.

The abuse Glory endured was beyond anything imaginable. Then, she was rescued by Malcolm, a pastor at their church. They were secretly engaged-needing to keep it hidden until she was 18.
When Malcolm rescued Glory, she lived with his mother who took care of her and made her feel loved for the first time as a daughter should. She was allowed to wear beautiful clothes and for the first time and she felt like she belonged. Until Malcolm stepped in.

Did Malcolm really save her?

I was given this five star book to read and review.
6 reviews
February 26, 2023
I have so many feelings about this book. Glory is so troubled and held down by circumstances and nearly all the adults in her life.

I had to put this one aside more than once because her choices and the things that happen to her are so upsetting.

Ultimately she realizes the world is so much bigger than the confines of the community in which she has existed her whole life and she begins to become herself.

Deborah King doesn’t make it easy for Glory and she unflinchingly creates the controlling and abusive environment that has held Glory down for the first two decades of her life.

This story is beautiful and heartbreaking with characters you will not soon forget.
Profile Image for Bonnye Reed.
4,230 reviews73 followers
June 12, 2022
I received a free electronic ARC of this novel from BookSirens and Deborah L. King. Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me. I have read this novel of my own volition, and this review reflects my honest opinion of this work. This is the second book in the Glory series.

I was pleased to be able to follow the lives of the Glory crew - and to see Glory find her heart, her soul, in the passing of her days. The abuse was tough to read about - tough to think it could be real, though I have cousins who were whipped with coathangers and extension cords back in the 1950s, whipped with anything their drunk mother and father could get hold of. There were attempts at family intervention, but the abused family moved to California where no family resided. Those kids were not forgotten but were no longer the focus of life as we knew it here in the central-western desert. I wish any of them were still alive - most died of cancer associated with smoking - as reading these Glory books would have helped them see the clarity of the freedom that they found on their own. It did help me leave behind some of the guilt I felt about our lives going on without having to know what was happening down the street.

Deborah King writes of life as it happens, without excuse or complications. Thank you for sharing this world with us, and for shining light on the certainty that there is a path to freedom.

Reviewed on June 1, 2022, at Goodreads, BookSirens, AmazonSmile, Barnes&Noble, BookBub, and Kobo. Not able to review on GooglePlay.
Profile Image for Danielle Garthwaite.
18 reviews5 followers
April 8, 2022
This book surprised me at how addictive it became after only the first few pages. A captivating story of a girl growing up in less than desirable times. And a feel good ending.
Profile Image for Kathryn Spurgeon.
Author 18 books222 followers
January 1, 2023
Interesting

A clear book detailing abusive relationships and responses. Although not a testament to how clergy normally behave, it graphically and sexually depicts people who are extremely (unhealthily) controlling.
Profile Image for Ritta.
95 reviews
December 17, 2021
I'm very excited to begin reading this follow up to the Glory Bishop series by the amazing Deborah King! #GloryUnbound #DeborahLoi @DeborahLoi
Profile Image for Julie Zack.
48 reviews
March 2, 2023
A great read! I am so glad to know the rest of Glory's story. I could not bear to put it down every time that I had to live a life. Honestly, I purchased as a Kindle book on a special sale but after reading I have to own the paperback.
Profile Image for Sharon Coleman.
388 reviews4 followers
January 18, 2023
Wow

Glory and Malcom continue to see each other. His mother takes Glory in after her mother beats her real bad. She trains her to be like her and helps her get accepted to college. Surprise ending
511 reviews10 followers
December 23, 2021
Glory Bishop ended with a ray of hope for Glory. Puff of salvation. Rings of maturity.

Ah, what a pleasant open end. I'd like to imagine that she did the right thing for herself right then and there. Wouldn't that have been splendid?

So of course it's no surprise those possibilities of salvation were squashed in the first twenty pages of Glory Unbound. Because, really, it wouldn't fit Glory's mentality at that time to be 100% adult and self-aware. That would be far too Hollywood, wouldn't it? And that's not the point that King's trying to make with this book.

Like its prequel, Glory Unbound may not be a read for you if reenactments of abuse and manipulation (both psychological and physical) detract joy from your reading escapades. While it's not graphic, the mentalities behind characters' motivations are horrifyingly realistic. Codependency has been a forefront element of conflict, and it will continue to do so in this story. King doesn't play around with how damaging it can be for every party involved.

Along with using Christianity as a scapegoat for terrible violence. I'm grateful there's less quoting in here than Glory Bishop. What's more, most times when the quoting is used here it's meant to be deliberately disturbing. Classy.

King refined her voice to include further depth to her characters. Glory sounds less like a teenager as she ages, and it's refreshing to read that mental transformation throughout the book. High school fades away, college is teased. Friends fade in and out. Years are counted by dates.

The elusive father and JT are given flesh, boogers, and smiles. And for readers of Glory Bishop, Mary and Malcolm act as exactly as you'd expect. For better or worse. It's so fascinating to see how events roll out for Glory, who is far from perfect but trying. Boy, is it painful though. What I liked is how even the side characters were given an extra layer of dimension that they didn't have in the first book. It's nice.

Herschel's still a diamond. He needs another book.

On its own, Glory Unbound is a fast and breezy read. Readers who want to experience a coming of age story or a woman breaking past their destructive self-narratives may dig this one. Anyone who felt like Glory Bishop left them wanting may appreciate knowing this book exists. Picks up right where the ending left them, and then some! Felt good after reading this one. Hope to read more from King.

February 10, 2022
INTRIGUING

This book kept my interest to the point that I did not want to put it down. I have personally proclaimed DLK as the Queen of Intrigue. The characters are so well written that you will laugh, cry, get angry and yes want a few of them killed (lol). Looking forward to the next novel with anticipation.
Profile Image for An.
302 reviews1 follower
July 4, 2022
Glory Bishop's story continues in this suspenseful sequel. As Glory continues to mature, she begins to learn a lot about herself and others.  Specifically, she begins to notice things about her mother and about Malcolm Porter.

When an incident occurs between Glory and her mom, Malcolm makes a decision and Glory has learned once he makes up his mind, that's what happens, everytime.

Assistance in navigating her new life comes from a most unlikely place and it teaches Glory how to become self-reliant, strong and confident even if she doesn't understand what is happening to her at the time.

Glory's mother calls her prideful for her new found strengths and warns her not to let the "demons" get the best of her. Her new benefactor supports Glory to achieve wonderful things, but they have their own hidden agenda for doing so.

Malcolm wants to control every aspect of Glory's life down to her biological clock. This creates tension and a deeply buried side of Malcolm rears its ugly head.

With pressure mounting and so much to lose, Glory is conflicted on what to do. But as the story progresses one brutal event will change the course of Glory's thinking and her life.

This book almost met every expectation for where I thought Glory would end up, but I would have liked a final scene from the Porter's to wrap it all up!

Having said that, it was an excellent read and I would love to see Glory in a future book filling us in on how her life has been going since the exciting conclusion of her story.
I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this title.
Profile Image for Shannaka.
24 reviews7 followers
January 21, 2022
Aaaaaahhhhh!! I am sooo happy I got a chance to read Glory Unbound. After reading the first book, Glory, I fell in love with the author, Glory and her story. This book was definitely a roller coaster ride. It tugged on all of my heart strings and emotions, from sadness to anger to joy.

The story picked up right where the first book left off. I appreciated Glory’s loyalty, determination and humbleness even if it was not in her best interests. I think a lot of women can relate to her story of abuse, childhood trauma and manipulation and even better, her story of overcoming.

Though I have never experienced abuse to the degree Glory did, reading the book, I felt like I was right in the midst of the storm. Almost like I was experiencing it from her pov. That is how Ms King awesomely wrote this book!

There has to be a part 3. The way the book ended it opened up a fresh can of worms and I will be here to catch them all!

My personal attachment to the book is me being a Mississippi native. Hearing towns and schools familiar to me made the story even better! #theeilove I appreciated the representation!

I would recommend this book.

Thank you to Book Sirens. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Profile Image for Rex Libris.
1,123 reviews5 followers
May 18, 2022
Before I comment I just want to make a quick COI claim: Deborah the author is a co-worker of mine.

At the end of the previous Book, Glory Bishop, glory's mother gives her quite a severe beating. This ends up sending her to the Porters for protection. Anita the mother does everything she can to keep gory away from her son Malcom; Anita has made all sorts of arrangements that would send glory to college out of state.

Unfortunately Malcom does not like to see things manipulated this way, and he and glory secretly wed. Now wedded, Malcom shows his true colors and abuses glory on a regular basis. The rest of the story is then glory's attempts to get away from her abusive husband. What shape that takes I do not want to say, as I do not to serve up any spoilers.

As with Glory Bishop, Glory Unbound is a book that is very far out from what I usually read. That said, I am glad that I have read it, because it is always good to get a look at stories and worlds different from one's own.
Profile Image for Amy.
296 reviews5 followers
January 24, 2022
Glory Unbound takes off where Glory Bishop ended, following the tempestuous life of Glory as she navigates the tightly controlled environments of her home with her mother and the relationship with an older and equally controlling man. Religion, domestic abuse, controlling relationships, and deceit are all part and parcel of Glory's history. How she grows, survives, and begins to thrive are all brilliantly written.

8 reviews
January 23, 2022
Outstanding!!

This novel is an exciting page turner. I am in love with the characters. When I open the book, I become an onlooker as if I were standing there with the characters. You will be carried away by this story. Kudos to the Author!
10 reviews1 follower
September 20, 2022
Oh My! The Feels !

I don't think I have ever read a book that has touched all my emotions. Glory Bishop and the rest of the characters in this book and the previous book " Glory Bishop " had me smiling, giggling, frowning, gritting my teeth in anger and frustration. Eventhough Glory is a fictional character the emotions you have reading about her journey are very real.
Profile Image for Mrs. Varela .
211 reviews
December 8, 2021
I received an advanced review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

Deborah L. King returns with the story of Glory Bishop who has lived her young life publicly as a happy child, privately as one of loss, abuse, and a desire to be free from a strict mother. When I read Glory Bishop’s story, I knew it wasn’t over and was excited to have the chance to read Glory Unbound. We pick up Glory’s story still engaged to Malcom Porter who is older than her and feels strongly about her mother’s treatment of her.

Glory begins a new life filled with all the things little girls dream of. She’s free to do what she wants - with conditions. With Glory’s newfound independence, her behavior and attitude change. She is living her dream life and doesn’t see the price that she is really paying for it until it's too late even though she's been warned. Trials and circumstances cause Glory to take a good look at her life and learn to choose for herself what she wants.

It was difficult for me to read all of the "growing pains" that Glory had to experience, but it was necessary. The constant wonder of Glory escaping her mother's disturbing grip on her life kept me reading with hope for her life to become better as she matured.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book just as much as the first book about Glory. The more I read, the more I feel like I want to know more. I was delighted when the author expressed that there will be more to come.
Displaying 1 - 22 of 22 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.