Start by marking “Recollections of a Hamburger: Growing Up German, 1941-1962” as Want to Read:
Recollections of a Hamburger: Growing Up German, 1941-1962

Recollections of a Hamburger: Growing Up German, 1941-1962

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  3 ratings  ·  1 review
Born in Hamburg, Germany, in 1941, Christel Behnke Gehlert vividly recounts her early childhood years in the war-torn country and weaves in memories from friends and family. She tells of the numerous dashes to the neighborhood bomb shelter as the city exploded under the Allies' assault, the gnawing hunger from a lack of food and fuel, and the personal upheavals her family ...more
Published January 4th 2008 by iUniverse (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Recollections of a Hamburger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recollections of a Hamburger

·  3 ratings  ·  1 review

Therese
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was interesting to read what life was like in Germany after WWII. I also liked reading about the author as a teenager and comparing it to what life was probably like as a teenager in the U.S at the time.

I liked her writing style. I felt like she was in the room talking to me - honest and humorous. I'm looking forward to the next book about moving to the US and adjusting to life here.
Phyllis E.