Start by marking “The Day the Earth Stood Still & Other Classic SF Novellas” as Want to Read:
The Day the Earth Stood Still & Other Classic SF Novellas

The Day the Earth Stood Still & Other Classic SF Novellas

BALROG AWARD WINNER'S SCIENCE FANTASY CLASSIC!

Were the alien and his robot here to help or hinder humankind? Find out the surprising answer in the original story that inspired the classic 1951 science fiction movie The Day the Earth Stood Still. Here is a must-read for any science fiction lover, for, as the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction says, "the film lost the story's

Published 2005 by Renaissance E-Books/PageTurner

Be the first to ask a question about The Day the Earth Stood Still & Other Classic SF Novellas

Start your review of The Day the Earth Stood Still & Other Classic SF Novellas
Bradley
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-shelf, sci-fi
I listened to the radio play of this short story and while I was having a lot of fun with the production and the actors, it became very clear to me that this was NOT the same story as the one Harry Bates wrote. It's more like Hollywood got a hold of it and shook some nonsense into it. :)

I DID have a bit of fun with it tho. That's about all I can say about that. B-movie nonsense.

Oh, and the master is gonna come and slap you silly if you don't behave. :)
Ken
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A great trio of short novella’s collected together under the title of Bates most well known tale.

I brought this eBook just to read ‘Farewell to the Master’ as I’m more familiar with the 2008 adaptation of The Day The Earth Stood Still. It’s a pretty bad movie and I was convinced that the story must be better.

It was definitely my favourite of the three, I like how simple and effective it was.
I enjoyed it so much that I’ve gone and ordered the 1951 version of the movie, I’m sure with less special
Realini
Jul 04, 2014 rated it liked it
The Day The Earth Stood Still by Harry Bates

Very often, this felt like a comedy, for I laughed at the ridiculous aspects of an old, even dated? – science fiction story. But before I continue with a superior, arrogant tone, I should remember that I have no worthwhile story under my belt, and this is the story which inspired a classic science fiction film. Indeed, so much appreciated that it saw a remake, with Keanu Reeves in the lead role.
The premise of the story is rather interesting and
Bryan
Dec 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks, sf
I never realized that Harry Bates was the founding editor of Astounding (later brought to fame by John W. Campbell, Jr). I did know that the famous SF movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was based on his story, "Farewell to the Master", so thought this would be an interesting collection.

There are three novellas here, and frankly, only one of them is decent, that being "Farewell to the Master". It's aged, but is still quite readable, and still a worthy classic of the genre. It's quite a bit
Belinda
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
This collection contains three pieces of short fiction by Harry Bates. Depending on your outlook and attention span, they're either longish "short stories" or shortish "novellas."

The title story, "The Day The Earth Stood Still" bears just about zero kinship with the films of the same name, so don't come looking for anything like that. The story is simple, understated, and powerful, leaving most of the hard introspection to be done by the reader instead of being laid out in blueprint form by the
Chanpheng
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Just imagine being locked in a room in the Smithsonian with a robot which is frozen during the day - and makes its move at nights?

After seeing the awful movie re-tread, and going through my memories of the original film which fired up my childhood imagination through science fiction, I enjoyed listening to the original novella and other works by Harry Bates. Definitely 50's Sense 'o Wonder science fiction but great.
Joe Houghtaling
May 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Don't bother

The author writes in a plain, colorless style. The SF of his day must have valued recitation of facts over character or plot development. The Day the Earth Stood Still is as bad as the others two tales. Watch the movie. It's much better.
Arlon Boozer
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Short story collection. Farewell to the Master is not as good as As the Earth Stood Still movie.
Carl
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a child of the 50’s, one of my favorite movies was indeed “The Day the Earth Stood Still.” I have since seen the movie many times over the years. Recently I found the book - “The Day the Earth Stood Still” by Harry Bates – on Kindle from Amazon, and I knew in a nostalgic moment that I had to read it. What I quickly discovered is that his story inspired the movie and NOT the novelization of the movie that came after. Additionally, the story is in reality a long short story or novella, plus the ...more
Joe
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
huge fan of the original Day the Earth Stood Still movie

the story that it came from is just SO much better!! i was a little disappointed by the middle story, but the Day the Earth Stood Still & a Matter of size were truly spectacular SF!!
Earl P. Willison
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Yyyyyyyyuhh

Gghhh
Jjhgtyhnmkhhmkjhgnj. Huu hfd uyt dsder jivff bfggh ufdsx kjh mkkk jkkkn ygff in. U g hhfg jkki mbgy hbgfg hj!k jhgdd cdsffy
Donald Luther
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
More interesting than good.
Jeff
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
Fun short stories with visions of the future from an author writing in the early and mid-twentieth century.
Vít Kotačka

Alas, All Thinking
Laura Floyd
Oct 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Saw the trailer for the new movie and got curious. I love the short story, Farewell to the Master, which is what the movies were based on - VERY loosely, I must say. Like so many short stories that get turned into movies, a simple, elegant tale is turned into an action flick full of political strife and explosions. (Well, there was at least one explosion in the story too.) But the message of the short story is so entirely different from either movie. The moral figures in the movies are us, as ...more
Wade Corbeil
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great collection of 3 novellas, including "Farewell to the Master", "Alas, All Thinking" & "A Matter of Size".

Farewell was the basis for the movie The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Alas is a time-travelers tale of the future of humanity

A Matter is a great space adventure in which the main protagonist is reduced in size by a race from another world, and the ending is not what one would even remotely expect.
Helen
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it
The Day the Earth Stood Still; Klaatu is described as beautiful serene and godlike, but other than that the only similarity to the film was Gnut the wonder-robot. This is a really little novella... really just the introduction to a story, but is well written and absorbing. I was just getting really into it when it finished! Boo! Enjoyed the story.

J.J. Grant
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it
The book is OK, but the only story that held my interest was the title story. Even then Bates spent way too much time leading up to Gnut's surprising disclosure.

I'm sorry to say that Hollywood did a better job telling the story on this one.

"Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!"
Shaun
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This guy is like a modern H.G. Wells. Like all older science fiction, snobs need not attempt this reading. The fact that it was conceived and written so many years ago is what makes it most interesting despite its simplicity.
Dennis
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Left me wanting much more.
Joe Scholes
Jun 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Who Goes There?
  • The Shrinking Man
  • This Island Earth (Forrest J Ackerman Presents)
  • Star Born (Pax/Astra, #2)
  • Death of a Ghost (Hamish Macbeth, #32)
  • The Gifts of Asti
  • A Kiss Before Dying
  • Plague Ship (Solar Queen, #2)
  • Death of an Honest Man (Hamish Macbeth #33)
  • Stormcall (The E.M.F. Chronicles #1)
  • Desiderata (Words to live by Book 1)
  • Inquisitor's Fury (The E.M.F. Chronicles #2)
  • A Bicycle Built for Murder (Manor House Mystery #1)
  • Apprentice Cat
  • Crypto Economy: How Blockchain, Cryptocurrency, and Token-Economy Are Disrupting the Financial World
  • Aloha, Y'All (Miss Fortune; The Mary-Alice Files #4)
  • Kittens and Killers (Isle of Man Ghostly Cozy #11)
  • Jupiter's Sword (Earth Dawning, #2)
Hiram Gilmore "Harry" Bates III (October 9, 1900 – September 1981) was an American science fiction editor and writer. His short story "Farewell to the Master" (1940) was the basis of the well-known science fiction movie The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951).