Start by marking “On the Blue Shore of Silence: Poemas frente al mar (Bilingual)” as Want to Read:
On the Blue Shore of Silence: Poemas frente al mar (Bilingual)

On the Blue Shore of Silence: Poemas frente al mar (Bilingual)

Aunque existe un sinnúmero de antologías de la poesía de Neruda, A la Orilla Azul del Silencio es la primera en reunir algunos de sus más bellos poemas sobre el mar. Algunas veces apasionados, otras veces serenos, los poemas de este libro -- presentado en formato bilingüe -- ofrecen al lector la posibilidad de imaginarse lo que habría sido sentarse con Neruda en Isla Negra ...more
Published February 3rd 2004 by Rayo (first published January 31st 2004)

Start your review of On the Blue Shore of Silence: Poemas frente al mar (Bilingual)
metaphor
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Soliloquy of the Waves

Yes, but here I am alone.
A wave
builds up,
perhaps it says its name, I don’t understand,
it mutters, humps in its load
of movement and foam
and withdraws. Who
can I ask what it said to me?
Who among the waves can I name?
And I wait.
Once again the clearness approached,
the soft numbers
rose in foam
and I didn’t know what to call them.
So they whispered away,
seeped into the mouth of the sand.
Time obliterated all lips
with the patience of shadow and
the orange kiss
of summer.
I stayed alo
Brian
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This collection of 12 poems highlights Neruda's love of the sea and its influence on his work. Over half of his poetry was penned at his whimsically named home on the Pacific, Isla Negra, and while most of his work doesn't contain oceanic themes - the power of this Muse can be seen consistently in his beautiful poetry.

Several of the past dozen or so novels I've read made me think of Neruda. Here is a porrtion of his poem "Forget About Me" that could be reflections on Railsea, Pan or even a bit o
Kilibird
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Pablo Neruda is one of my favorite poets. I also really love a collection of his titled Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair.

So much of the time, I think that writers and poets speak better for themselves than any silly review that I could ever write.

"Let us look for secret things somewhere in the world, on the blue shore of silence or where the storm has passed, rampaging like a train." -- Forget About Me
Lamski Kikita
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A window into Neruda's Chilean soul, trapped between the Andes and the Pacific, one that craves constant movement, and yet yearns for a home. Beautiful and invigorating.
My favorite poem is Fiesta's End Stanza XII.
Sandra Kimmet
Dec 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Poetry lovers
This is an amazing book. It is a collection of Nerudas poems about the sea. There are paintings that an artist made just for each poem. If you love the ocean, you will love this book. Pablo describes like no other. It also has the original Spanish alongside the English.
Sue
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of poetry and Neruda
I just found this book, of all things, half-priced at a Borders going out of business. What a glorious discovery! All sea-related poems in English and Spanish with accompanying artwork. A wonderful book that I'll read over and over again.
Kay Davis
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Poet and political writer Pablo Neruda assembled a collection of twelve poems that convey his connections to the Pacific Coast region in central Chile that was his home for many years.

After a tumultuous career as a diplomat and ambassador, Neruda retired to an oceanfront cottage with his wife, Mathilde Urrutia. He collected ship figureheads, nautical instruments, and fishing nets. He took walks on the beach and meditated to the sound of the waves. Out of this introspection came half of his publ
Cary Neve
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
ok, so this is the story. I saw this book at Barnes and Noble and it was a little pricey. But everytime we went there I would grab it and sit on a couch and read the poems. Shane finally got it for me and Oh my goodness. That is me! Ocean ,sand, poems, Chile, Neruda. I read it and even if it is a dark cold winter snowy night in Utah I can transport myself to Isla Negra and feel the warmth of the sun , the smell of the ocean, hear the waves. I am there in my dreams. If I feel blue...that is what ...more
John
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The waves keep up their song/and although the sea has many hands,/many mouths and many kisses,/no hand reaches out to you,/no mouth kisses you;/ and you soon must realize/what a feeble thing you are./By now we thought we were friends,/we come back with open arms,/and here is the ea, dancing away,/not bothering with us.
Laurel
Aug 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves poetry, pablo neruda, or the sea
I'd give the poems 5+ stars, but the art work is not my style, so 4 stars.

These poems are gorgeous. I'm such a sucker: some of these poems make me cry, even though I've read them many times before, I still cry. I am amazed how he puts words to the things I have always found to be beyond words.
Di Manuel
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have finish the Essentials of Neruda. I enjoyed the book too much I went to bookstore one day and finish this book in one sitting. So much for literally eating words. Feeding your soul is a good thing they say.
Angel
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spanish, poetry
Andreana
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My favorite collection of poems yet. Beautiful depiction of lives at sea. Spanish and English translations, with some illustration.
Christine
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book by my favorite poet that was a gift from my closest friends. A treasure that sits proudly on my bookshelves.
Cedric
Jan 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: class-reading
Beautiful Beautiful Poetry! Calming and passionate and introspective. A great read for anyone really.
Minorwhite
Feb 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this was a gift from a special person in my life, and holds great meaning...a delicate piece of art, full of whimsy and discovery.
Anna
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The most {physically and spiritually} beautiful Neruda book I have found, a most wonderful addition to any library.
Susan
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, ngl, 2011
From "The Poet's Obligation" -- page 45

"So, through me, freedom and the sea
will call in answer to the shrouded heart."
Potassium
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A collection of Pablo Neruda's poems about the sea and paintings based on the poems. Most of the poems were beautiful but I thought the paintings were boring. Conflicted....
Drew
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
A beautiful, elegantly designed book. Great as a gift, though these are not the strongest of Neruda's poems.
Yvonne Flint
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My first Neruda poetry won't be my last. He speaks the language of sea, waves, sky ... humanity. This book will be with me the next time I have some days at the seashore.
Robyn
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
"Nace"/"It is Born" stunned me into absolute stillness. I had to read it three times before I could bring myself to turn the page. This collection feels like renewal.
Robert Teeter
This book brings together two of my favorite things -- the ocean and the poems of Pablo Neruda. Neruda, a Nobel Prize-winning poet from Chile, in the second half of his life spent as much time as possible at his seaside house, Isla Negra. There he wrote poems about the sea, but not always in a romantic way; he wrote about the violence of the sea and shipwrecks and dead animals on the beach, too.

One of my favorites collected here is "Poet's Obligation." If you're stuck inside somewhere "this Frid
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
My two favorite poems from this collection were "Soliloquy in the Waters" and "The Fisherman". Overall, they were all very sweet and had a pleasant air to them--they made me feel much better after a bad day, being laid-back, smooth, but not too slow, and cool like ocean water. This my first Neruda book, though I've read a handful of his poems, and I don't find him to be amazingly talented like other people do. However, he's nearly as romantic as they say. His poetry is good for the stressful day ...more
Molly
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
As the subtitle says, this is a collection of Pablo Neruda's poems about the sea that was put together to celebrate his centenary. I picked it up to fulfill Book Riot's 2017 Read Harder Challenge category, "Read a collection of poetry in translation on a theme other than love." I'm really glad I did. True to the challenge's goal, it got me to read something I would not have otherwise and it expanded my horizons. I'm not usually one for poetry, but the poems are beautiful and show how much the se ...more
Bayneeta
Apr 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, poetry
I'm not really much of a poetry reader; I stumbled across this book while looking for different one and it looked interesting. It's a dozen Neruda poems about the sea accompanied by paintings based on the Neruda poems. The paintings were less satisfying to me than the poems. Neruda lived in Chile high above the Pacific Ocean, and it was natural that the images of the sea would become part of his poetry.
Kate McCarthy
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I had too many expectations of this short collection of poems of the sea. I like that the original poems in Spanish are provided in English translation, and I enjoyed seeing the nuances. Otherwise I finished wanting more, not because it was too little of something so good that I wanted more, but instead that it was just too little of what I had hoped it would be to be fulfilling. Also, I'm not typically a reader of books of poetry, so perhaps it's my bias.
Eryn
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I love Pablo Neruda's poetry and came across this book in a store recently. It was translated by Alastair Reid and is a beautiful collection of Neruda's poems about the sea as well as watercolors by Mary Heebner.
Buzz Evers
Resonated with my sense of being On the Blue Shore of Absence based on my custody battle for my wonderful son, Jesse Dylan. Added emotions derived from the fact my mother's ashes were scattered over the waters in So. Cal, the overall impact left me pondering the significance of each.
spike  スパイク
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2017
I've always been drawn to the Sea, for whatever inexplicable reason. What better tribute to it than a series of great poems by Pablo Neruda? Excellent addition to any library when you need to be taken to the sea, this book is like a magic portal there.

• Another Country
  • In the Lateness of the World: Poems
  • Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Adaptation
  • The How of Happiness: A Scientific Approach to Getting the Life You Want
  • Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance
Pablo Neruda was the pen name and, later, legal name of the Chilean writer and politician Neftalí Ricardo Reyes Basoalto. Neruda assumed his pen name as a teenager, partly because it was in vogue, partly to hide his poetry from his father, a rigid man who wanted his son to have a "practical" occupation. Neruda's pen name was derived from Czech writer and poet Jan Neruda; Pablo is thought to be fro ...more