Start by marking “Mozipedia: The Encyclopedia of Morrissey and The Smiths” as Want to Read:
Mozipedia: The Encyclopedia of Morrissey and The Smiths

Mozipedia: The Encyclopedia of Morrissey and The Smiths

Steven Patrick Morrissey is one of the most original and controversial voices in the history of popular music. With The Smiths, he led the most influential British guitar group of the 1980s, his enigmatic wit and style defining a generation. As a solo artist, he has continued to broach subjects no other singer would dare.
Worshipped by some, vilified by others, Morrissey i
Published July 1st 2009 by Ebury

To ask other readers questions about Mozipedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mozipedia

Start your review of Mozipedia: The Encyclopedia of Morrissey and The Smiths
brian
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
has their ever been another music better capable of capturing what wordsworth referred to as 'the still, sad music of humanity?'

what daffodils were to wordsworth, what deprivation was to larkin, what the new york dolls are to morrissey = what morrissey is to me.

SMITHS - top 40

40. this night has opened my eyes
39. girlfriend in a coma
38. cemetry gates
37. is it really so strange?
36. paint a vulgar picture
35. unloveable
34. meat is murder
33. death of a disco dancer
32. shakespeare's sister
31. pre
Mark Desrosiers
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
From the preface: "He's one of those rare artists whose impact upon our culture is as irreversibly dramatic as the asteroid which slammed into the surface of the earth some 65 million years ago, snuffing out all dinosaur life in a flash."

Well I'm sure you can see the joke in the last three words of that sentence, which shall one day join "Now I know how Joan of Arc felt" in its magnetic attraction to countless ragged claws scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Simon Goddard is already ren
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
No I haven't read this from cover to cover, but I've read enough to say it's a great companion to the work of one of the most artful lyricists in popular music.

ETA, 3 days later: I've now read this from cover to cover and I'm upgrading it to 5 stars. Not least for the wonderfully dismissive summations of the big M's less well-conceived songs (few as these are).
Tosh
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Totally fascinating and perhaps even perfect. The book is basically Morrissey culture as an encyclopedia and what is great is that you don't even have to like Morrissey to enjoy the book. Of course the author Simon Goddard goes through every Smiths/Morrissey song or album, but more important focuses on Morrissey's influences on his work.

On one level this could be the ultimate biography on Morrissey, but the the great thing about it is that its about the singer's work and what one gets from his m
Anna
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting and thorough look at Morrissey's life, solo career and work with The Smiths. There is lots of trivia in here--probably more than a casual fan such as myself *needs*, but much of the material is still enlightening.

My biggest quibble with the volume is the author's entry on "racism," as he comes off sounding like the ultimate apologist for some of Morrissey's more bigoted comments. Goddard suggests that Morrissey cannot POSSIBLY be racist since he is a lonely, sexually ambiguous white
Stephen McQuiggan
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
More akin to aggressive stalking than the collection of trivia - an absolute treasure trove of detail. As addictive as Crack, and as invaluable as its subject matter.
Niklas Pivic
Jul 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who like Morrissey
This is quite what the title implies: an encyclopaedia on Morrissey and his world, by journalist Simon Goddard. While the his subjective takes on what the songs are about are mostly worthless, as are his way of trying to be funny and witty - just read the end of his bit about Johnny Rogan's "The Severed Alliance" and you'll see what I mean - the real goodness in owning this book is that it serves as a collection of interesting trivia.

I'm your average trainspotter when it comes to music: things l
cansu m
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
finished this book in about 3 days, which tells you everything you need to know about simon goddard and his excellent storytelling abilities. the book is obviously formatted like an encyclopedia but it reads almost like a linear story at times?? or maybe it feels that way because i know the story of the smiths/moz so well, i don't know. it's to goddard's credit that even the most mundane, irrelevant and downright boring entries in the book sound like they're essential though. also, side-note: i ...more
Chris Estey
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since my buddy Craven Rock mocked me for loving this book -- the subject being overexposed, for sure -- I thought I might as well relate to him (and you, the gentle Goodreads reader) why I gave it five stars. Well, you know how Route 19 is a literary fountain gushing trivia, analysis, extrapolation, etc. about The Clash? Goddard does the same thing with Morrissey in Mozipedia, which may seem redundant after all the other goddamned Moz books, but is handled as clearly and deeply as it is obsessiv ...more
Hekates Lady
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has all you ever wanted to know about the great MOZ. Every song, album, activity, etc. is within this thick volume. I got it for about $15.00 and from the photo, thought it would be a hand-sized, simple book. But when it arrived, I was stunned at how thick each letterd chapter was. I am so glad I took the chance and have this book in my collection!
Katherine
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
How could I not love reading about the delightful Morrissey? Luxuriously comprehensive.
Kylie Olsen
Nov 21, 2010 is currently reading it
How could I not love reading about the god that is Morrissey??
Kent
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A must for any Smiths/Moz fan. Just an incredible amount of detail and back story.
Jon
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sandie Shaw, Michael Stipe, Coronation Street, Charles Hawtrey. Sigh.

Brilliant stuff.
Krystal
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Morrissey and The Smiths. This book is very interesting and covers topics from The Beatles to Frank Sinatra. A must-have for Smiths fans everywhere.
shay bz
This is the definitive resource for all things Moz and Smiths. It's in my coffee table book rotation! ...more
Amy Westgarth
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Finally finished this book after nearly 6 months' reading. Although I've only been reading it at weekends since it's such a weighty tome and nowhere near portable. It's pretty much A4 in size. If it had been nearer A5, like fiction books, it would definitely have been at the 1000-page mark. So a lot to get through.

This book made great reading though. It's certainly thorough, including every Smiths song/album and every Morrissey song/album (up to publication of this issue in 2012). Also included
Martyn
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mozzers, Smiths, Lit peeps, Wildeans
The best book about the best lyricist and the best band that has ever seen fit to grace a speaker.

Quite a phenomenal achievement by the author in managing to track down and gather so many facts, influences and opinions into one place. It is clearly not meant to be a “biography” but the entries are so varied and complete that, if you are aware of the basic timelines involved, you can easily read this as a history.

I was going to ‘dip-in’ to the entries – that lasted about 5 minutes - and I then d
Slh
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read a review on Goodreads and decided to buy this book. It was a great decision!

If you are a disciple of all things Morrissey/The Smiths this encyclopedia unlocks many doors and shines a light as to possible or plausible inner workings of his poetry, the band, people connected to the artist, literary and cultural references, context of, history of, relevance to, and importance of all things MOZ, become illuminated.

Many times I have heard something in a lyric and wondered - well this cool hard
Melusina
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
A really great book, with loads of funny and entertaining details. However, I didn't care much for Mr Goddard's judgmental writing style. Music is, as every kind of art, dependent on personal likings. However, this author likes to think that he found the key to "Moz-wisdom" and knows exactly which song is wonderful and which isn't. But the subject of investigation (i.e. Morrissey) makes the book highly enjoyable, of course. ...more
Zachary
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this straight through even though it is an encyclopedia. Of course it is full or rumors and editorial bias about the music, but I did like it for the insight into the recording of the songs and to get a better idea of when all the early Moz solo career stuff was recorded. I could care less what bad movies from the 50's Moz watched, but on the other hand it was interesting to hear what music he and Johnny were listening to at the time they were making Smiths records. ...more
Viv
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a well written and researched book. As a ridiculous Smiths/Morrissey fangirl, I really enjoyed reading through these entries even though I'm not sure that this book was supposed to be read cover to cover. As interesting as it was, by the time I got to the last entries it was a bit tiring to read another entry about a "kitchen sink drama" that Morrissey loved. but still a very good book. ...more
Mauberley
Masterful and magisterial, this probably the most important reference book published to date in the twenty-first century. Long-time residents of Smithdom cannot be expected to maintain their citizenship without owning a copy. New arrivals will not be admitted without one. Under the entry for the 'Rolling Stones', Goddard tells of an encounter between Johnny Marr and Keith Richards that would not have been out of place in Seamus Heaney's poem, 'Station Island'. ...more
Jacob Dougherty
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
When I got this, I thought there was no way I'd read it cover to cover, but I ended up doing just that. Lots of good juicy details and things I didn't know (like who knew that Morrissey took ecstasy in 1992, and said that was one of the only times he liked what he saw when he looked in the mirror?) ...more
Mark
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One primarily for the experienced anoraks but those new to Smithdom will still get a lot from this.

Full of all the history you need, plus a barrage of references and influences: if you've already read Elizabeth Smart, watched a Taste of Honey and listened to the New York Dolls, then now read Radclyffe Hall, watch Billy Liar and listen to Jobraith.
l.
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
not a huge fan of the format, but this is an extremely impressive effort! good on you, simon goddard. i think he should be crowned king of fanboys everywhere.

i'll probably pick it up when I'm feeling more moz-obsessed but that probably won't be happening this year. got up to q.
Andreas Stavros
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A tremendous, exhaustive compendium that's an absolute "must" for any Smiths/Morrissey apostle. No stone is left unturned, no itch is left unscratched, no pancake is left untossed. If you love the subject but don't have this book, why??? Buy it. ...more
Dido
Mar 24, 2010 marked it as to-read
BU KİTABI İSTİYORUM!
Andor Mostert
(Almost) everything a (slightly) obsessed fan wants and needs to know about Morrissey and The Smiths can be found in this terrific encyclopedia. Highly recommended for every fan!
Mark

• Birth School Metallica Death, Volume 1: The Biography
  • Old Ireland in Colour
  • The Other Side
  • Nin: Nine Inch Nails
  • The Thunder of Justice: The Warning, the Miracle, the Chastisement, the Era of Peace, God's Ultimate Acts of Mercy
  • The Seagull
  • Elephant and Other Stories
  • Μάρτυς μου ο Θεός
  • Φέρτε μου το κεφάλι της Μαρίας Κένσορα
  • Το παιδί
  • Τα ποίηματα Α΄: 1897-1918
  • Σάββατο βράδυ στην άκρη της πόλης
Simon Goddard is the author of BOWIEODYSSEY70 and six other books about pop music. He was born in Cardiff in 1971.

agent: thenorthlitagency.com