Start by marking “North of the Stars” as Want to Read:
North of the Stars

North of the Stars

(In Love and War #1)

England is burning.

And the cause…men are too afraid to utter in nothing but a whisper.

The Northmen.

My father is King Eanred.

And me?

I am Princess Emeline.

My father wants to protect our kingdom against the ruthless Vikings who continue to raid England, so he has betrothed me to Aethelwulf, the son of King Egbert of Wessex—the most powerful realm in all of England. Without th
Published December 1st 2021

To ask other readers questions about North of the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about North of the Stars

Start your review of North of the Stars
Villains Do It Better
Y'all those arc reviews are lying. I've waited for this book for such a long time, and now that I read it, not only was it highly disappointing, but this book was terrible. I hated all the characters, the hero is disgusting and disloyal, the om is gross (still want that om drama tho cuz I hate the hero🙃), and the heroine is pathetic for pining after the hero. I honestly can't imagine the series getting any better, and I feel like the blurb (and that pretty cover 😰) is super deceiving. My first M ...more
Jessica ❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥
OMG!!!! Words cannot express how much I fucking LOVED this book! One of my top reads of the year without question! RTC
Jessica
Dec 02, 2021 rated it liked it

I've had to sit on this one awhile before I rated it. This is a dark romance. Our heroine spends three years of the book from 14-17 being raped. She's sexually assaulted multiple times. People have their heads chopped off. It's dark and gritty, so know that going in.

I am a historical romance reader and really love old school historical romances, and this one really felt like an old bodice ripper from the 80s. Skarth is forced to work with the enemy in order to get back his family. He t
❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books

I know I’m in the minority with my rating, because I didn’t love this as much as previous readers, but I didn’t flat out hate it either.

So here’s the thing, I’ve just come off from re-watching ‘The last Kingdom’ which is on Netflix which I loved!! And binge watching a few others in the same vein. So I was still riding that high.

And….

I know I shouldn’t compare the two for obvious reasons.

But…

Going into this I had such high hopes and high expectations that I would encounter a fierce fe
Jenn (The Book Refuge)
Carla Bulian
Dec 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was what I needed!
I LOVED THIS BOOK. This story was perfect, reminds me two series I love .
Thank you Monica. I can’t wait for read the next book.
Audee
Dec 05, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nope
HARD PASS.

And this is why I do not trust, by any means, ARC reader ratings & reviews.
This ticked all my hard limits when it comes to my romance reads, and I thank God for small mercies — aka ACTUAL and honest book reviewers who don't bullshit.

I have never read anything from this author and I don't think I ever will if this is the kind of content she writes (and likes). #sorrynotsorry

Check out these reviews for more details:
my link text
my link text
Elizabeth
Dec 03, 2021 marked it as nope-nope-nope
Arc reviews are so annoying. They arent helpful to anyone, not even the author because it just sets high expectations for your mediocre book that actual REAL readers will realize is mediocre if not outright terrible. All you see in the real reviews is what is with this high rating? 😂
Bozena
Nov 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
OMG! HOLY SHIT! OMG!

I'm breathless and agitated and I don't know what to do with myself now, after reading this book.
I knew she could write incredible books, but this book is definitely the best she has written to date.

It's dark, gripping and incredibly fascinating but also incredibly brutal.
If you're looking for sweet and swoony romance, this book is definitely not for you.

This historical fiction romance is a spellbinding story about times when the Vikings were looking for new places to live.
Penny Reid
Oct 20, 2021 marked it as to-read
I am pre-ordering this book based on Rumi's recommendation and, let's be honest, also dat cover. ...more
 ღೋ ❥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Linathebookaddictღೋ ❥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Wow. Well, this was far better than what I had imagined!!! Give me dark, angst and slow burn and you have me. This book had it all.
Just a warning, this is a dark historical romance with a hero that will make you so frustrated you might throw your Kindle against the wall. Yes, I am talking about Skarth.
I absolutely loved our Princess . She was badass and so brave!!!!! I am literally salivating for the next book. BEWARE that the book is about Vikings and our hero is not....particularly loyal to ou
D. BookAngel
Dec 14, 2021 rated it did not like it
Book Maniac Forever
Nov 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing

⭐️ 5+ "Warrior" Stars ⭐️
North of the Stars was an EPIC read! It left me with such a book hanghover! It's been days since I finished my read and I'm still obsessing over this story! It was so different from what I usually read, but it still got all the feels and passion I love about Monica James's writing. Needless to say I was hooked from the start! This author likes to work with multiple genres and she once again proved her versatility with this Historical Viking romance.

"𝑺𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒊𝒕 𝒎𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒂
The Romantic Rush Blog
Nov 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Beautifully researched and completely immersive, this historical romance is chock full of Viking lore, a clash of cultures, and star-crossed romance. The characters are deliciously flawed and powerfully affecting, their story full of angst, longing, heartbreak, and conflicting fates. It's been a while since I've read a historical romance, and this one truly transported me to another time and place. But the romance reigns supreme, and it is enchanting.

Creatively, this story is inspired. Monica w
Beth
Dec 02, 2021 rated it did not like it
Kindle Crack Book Reviews Cheri
When I first learned about North of the Stars (In Love & War 1), I thought -- Vikings? I typically don’t read historical romances, but I LOVE the author, Monica James, so I decided to read it. I can’t even believe I wavered at the thought of reading this book. The Viking world might be my new character catnip! I literally need the next book like I need my next breath. This book played out like a movie in my head. I got lost in this all-consuming world of heathen Vikings and scandalous medieval r ...more
Bookish Swan
Dec 01, 2021 rated it did not like it
Terrible.and oh my god the names...
Mandy’s Book Reviews
Dec 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This story is amazing! I’m a huge fan of historical romances but not all of them that I’ve read I’ve loved they are honestly a hit or miss with me but let me tell you this was a definite hit ! Sooo good! The details the characters description just everything was amazing this is a book that’s definitely worth your attention!
Jennifer Kyle
Dec 01, 2021 rated it liked it
3 Stars ⭐️
em
Dec 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic.
Honestly, when I started, I was a little disappointed. The beginning is slow, but then the book becomes impossible to put aside. An epic novel spanning thousands of years, love, heartbreak, tragedy and of course Vikings, this book will pull you in and leave you with tears streaming down your face (at least it did for me).
Cc
Dec 15, 2021 marked it as to-read
Shelves: cheating
I'm so giddy!! We have a cheating book! We have an arsehole hero book! We have a love triangle book. Please read the 1 star review below for the best synopsis of our cheater. Two bads, it ends on a cliff hanger and I've never read a Monica James book, so not sure about writing skill. But I just bought it, so I'll post in a few days. Wish me luck cheater gals!!!! Yes I know there are a lot of !!!!!!!!!!!!!! but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!We haven't had a lot of CHEATING BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🤣 ...more
SCBookAddict
Nov 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-favorites
Is there anything this woman CAN'T write?
North of the Stars is a Vikings historical romance and Monica James slayed it!

In this world, women were property and nothing more. Princess Emeline quickly finds out that she is a pawn. Oh how I love her! She's fierce even when she's all but broken. She's a force to be reckoned with!

Princess Emeline meets her Viking, Skarth the Godless when she is still a child. What they didn't know then but that chance meeting created an invisible knot that bound them
Stephanie
Dec 02, 2021 rated it liked it
PP's Bookshelf
Nov 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Game of Thrones married Vikings and North of the Stars by Monica James was born. It was full of drama, passion, action and heartbreaking emotions. Set in the background of Saxon - Vikings rivalry, it was war of hearts and battle of emotions. I am utterly broken and mesmerised with this dark and explosive historical romance.
Princess Emeline of Northumbria was always a rebel. She wanted to fight like a warrior. But her father and cruel king only looked at her like she is a trade weapon to be sold
Katie
Dec 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Books With
Nov 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my, Gods.

This was a movie.

I am obsessed with Vikings. Seriously. Ragnar, Ivar, Bjorn, etc. That series is fire so when I found out MJ was writing a Viking romance I was so hyped.

It did not disappoint.

I love the way this author manages to tell the story like it’s a movie playing in my head.

I adored the story, angst and drama between Skarth and Emeline. A Princess and a Northman should not make sense but they do.

Emeline is brave and kind. I love her and her warrior spirit even through th
gretareadsromance
North of the Stars deserves all the stars!

This book consumed me. The storyline was easy to follow but had all the details so you felt like you were completely immersed into this world. I also loved getting to know these characters. Even the most horrible ones needed their place in this story and will have you cheering on when they get their due. Skarth the Godless is amazing; even with all his faults. His character is one that will make you swoon even after he does wrong. Princess Emeline must a
TheSassyNerdBlog
Nov 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s
Woahhh… holy fuck… Is there anything that Monica James can’t write?

I’ll be honest, going into this book I was sure what to expect… it’s not this authors usual style, however within the first couple of pages I was completely invested in the story and how it was going to play out! Vikings and all that sort of thing isn’t something I typically read but I am glad I gave this a chance! I need more! Gah!

This was full of suspense, thrill, heat with a load of twists and turns thrown in!!
By far one of
Kodie Mackay
Trying to comprehend what the fuck just happened is like trying to fill the ocean with a tea spoon. I am dead. Traumatised and unavailable for atleast a year, until I heal.

WARNING
This book has dark content that is highly triggering. You need to know what you're in for and I promise you there is nothing sweet about this journey so be prepared for it. It's the darkest by Monica yet in my opinion.

Holy fucknuts I'm traumatised.

I feel despair and fury. I am consumed with heartbreak and clearly I'
mum.reader.dreamer.4life
Nov 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Holy Freakin OMFG!
This Book! This Book! Was...... So Damn Gooodddddd..... Until that damn ending because let's be honest a cliffy is ssoooooo god I just want to throw my kindle / someone needs to talk me down from the ledge (haha).

Monica James and her words has once again slayed me. North of the Stars is a DARK historical romance set in the medieval times. It is a story that I wanted to both saviour every word but devour it sooooo quickly as I desperately wanted to know what was going to happen.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Triple Threat (Deception Duet, #1)
  • Beautiful Nightmare (Dark Dream, #2)
  • Dangerous Temptation (Dark Dream Duet, #1)
  • Dark Reign
  • Suffer in Silence: A Dark Mafia Romance (Malvagio Mafia Duet, #1)
  • The Grump Who Stole Summer
  • The Ritual
  • The Temptation (Filthy Rich Americans, #5)
  • Hostile Takeover
  • Gilded Cage
  • My Summer in Seoul
  • Loyalty In the Shadows (Crowned Crows #2)
  • Darling Venom
  • Lost & Found in Copper Ridge: A Holiday Romance
  • Savage Rivals
  • Sweet Devil (Hellfire Club, #5)
  • Bad Dream (Dark Dream, #0.5)
See top shelves…
Monica James spent her youth devouring the works of Anne Rice, William Shakespeare, and Emily Dickinson.
When she is not writing, Monica is busy running her own business, but she always finds a balance between the two. She enjoys writing honest, heartfelt, and turbulent stories, hoping to leave an imprint on her readers. She draws her inspiration from life.
She is a bestselling author in the U.S.,