Start by marking “Evolve Your Brain: The Science of Changing Your Mind” as Want to Read:
Evolve Your Brain: The Science of Changing Your Mind

Evolve Your Brain: The Science of Changing Your Mind

Take Your First Step Toward True Evolution

Ever wonder why you repeat the same negative thoughts in your head? Why you keep coming back for more from hurtful family members, friends, or significant others? Why you keep falling into the same detrimental habits or limiting attitudes--even when you know that they are going to make you feel bad?

Dr. Joe Dispenza has spent decade
Published October 22nd 2008 by Health Communications (first published January 1st 2007)

Sanda
If you have any interest in neuroscience and neuroplasticity this is a book for you. Especially if you are curious about the subject but are not sure where to start. Dr. Dispenza breaks down the whole system and its processes in an engaging but simultaneously extremely educational way. Even if you are not a science geek you'll be able to follow his explanations. I must admit that I found the whole physiology/neurology refresher extremely useful.

This book is followed by Breaking The Habit of Bei
Rick
Aug 02, 2009 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very thought provoking (pun intended :-)) My oversimplified summary is:

1. Most of us spend much of our lives on "autopilot" and are essentially addicted to being ourselves to include our emotions, attitudes and most everything that we are.

2. We build ourselves from childhood in the same way that we learn to ride a bicycle, for example. It is difficult at first and requires our utmost attention but we eventually wire our brain so that no conscious thought is necessary other than to decide to ride
Roslinda
Jan 15, 2013 Roslinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is life changing. Seriously. If you're open to it though....but that's the premise of the book, to change your thoughts, your way of thinking, your life. I hate to call it a self help book because it really isn't. It's more than that because it goes deeper and is more "scientific based" but you don't get lost in it. A must read if you want to get unstuck.
Debbie
Mar 30, 2010 Debbie is currently reading it
I just started reading this. I opened it up to an interesting nugget. Page 150: Birth-Age 2, 67% of a babies calories are used to nourish her growing brain. 5/6s of the brain's development takes place AFTER birth. From the back cover: he explains how thoughs create chemical reactions that keep you addicted to patterns and feelings (sad, happy, etc) and that's it possible to rewire those patterns. You can reprogram and evolve your brain. Dr. Joe Dispenza from "What the Bleep Do We Know" is the au ...more
Stephanie McCown
Feb 16, 2013 Stephanie McCown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as I was going through radiation therapy for carcinoid tumors, and it gave me a dose of courage and hope that everything was going to turn out okay after all.

Dr. Joe Dispenza is perhaps best known for appearing in the film "What the BLEEP Do We Know!?" and its sequel, "Down the Rabbit Hole." That was how I first learned of him, and that is why I became interested in reading his book.

In a nutshell, his book describes his own experiences with severe, life-altering injuries and pa
Esra Bestel
Feb 22, 2011 Esra Bestel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

One can think that; are we not conscious living beings? After reading this book it reveals to me that, that is not the fact. We are all under the influence of our bodies. But once we can start using our frontal lobe which means becoming conscious then we are free-willed beings.
The important message in this book is that changing who we are will effect the future generations. And it will be our legacy to be a more evolved human civilisation.
We should start to use our frontal lobe.
I highly recom
Stephen James
Aug 20, 2012 Stephen James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good medium of actually putting the theory of neuroplasticity to use.
Ron
Apr 02, 2016 Ron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is horribly written, even if the first 50 pages showed some promise of enlightening the audience. The narrative, however, could have excised well over 200 pages. The main problems are that the author decides after that first 50 pages to offer an introductory primer in basic neurology. Most lay people will gloss over it because it is too difficult and those with anatomy background will find it boring and skip it.

The author also seems to be a narcissist who relies far too much on his own
Janna
Jun 16, 2008 Janna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't stop talking about this book.

Dr. Joe Dispenza is a chiropractor (among many other things)
and one of the commentators from the Quantum Mechanics Documentary 'What the Bleep Do We Know?'

I went to a book signing and heard him speak and was so inspired I bought 2 books on the spot.

It explains the science of the brain, and neuroplasticity, that is: the brain's ability to change and evolve-- and that everyone has the capability to do this, any time in life.
The power to break bad thought hab
Brittany Z
I know it seems like this has had a positive impact on people's lives, which is awesome, but for people that are already aware of the brain and neuroplasticity, this will be a bit dull and repetitive. Most of the book discusses brain structures, what they do and how they work, and things we know that influence the brain's functioning. It felt a bit like intro to biology all over again. There is also a heavy focus on meditation. We know the positive effects of it, but sometimes the author's ideas ...more
Bumdog Torres
Mar 28, 2012 Bumdog Torres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first 100 pages are life changing....unfortunately after that it gets a little too involved as to how the brain works for me. I mean he gets into every single section of the brain and what chemicals go where and how the neurons fire off in different directions, it just got to be too much for my non-brain surgeon mind. But having said that it's still an incredible transformational book. Looking forward to reading his next one.
Salina Christaria
This book blows the doors off mere positive thinking by explaining in an engaging manner how our cells can become addicted to the chemicals produced by certain emotional states. The author provides compelling scientific and real-life evidence that proves we can rewire the neural connections in our brain to create the life we want to enjoy. If this book was part of every high school science or psychology curriculum we would empower the next generation to break free from all limiting thinking and ...more
Vijay Maram
Jun 27, 2017 Vijay Maram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lot from the basics, not needed if you are a science background. A lot of cohort studies mentioned. In the end it gets boring a bit, yet finally the author conveys the message very clearly. I love the way he explains his research.
Odreea
Jul 22, 2017 Odreea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really blew my mind about our brain and how it works. With this book my interest in neuroscience turned into a hobby.
Cheriflake
Mar 13, 2017 Cheriflake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lengthy, but I'm a big fan.
David Voegele
Mar 08, 2017 David Voegele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goodread

Very informative about the brain and how to change yourself . Very informative research from many different areas of the scientific community.
Ferruccio Fiordispini
Our brain is plastic and can evolve.
At the beginning of this book, the author tells us of his almost “miraculous” experience with the power of his mind. Following a serious sport accident, which compromised his mobility, Dispenza managed to get back in top form thanks to the techniques of cognitive concentration he was able to implement. Not that I did not want to believe this story, but I was quite skeptical after this opening. I asked myself: will it be one of those self-help books that promis
Rommel
Mar 04, 2011 Rommel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished this book. The point of the book is very simple, use your imagination and visualization to change your reality. The author Joe Dispenza had a life threatening accident and the doctors suggested that he needed to get surgery right away or else he would end up paralyzed below the waist. He decided not to listen to the doctors and went on his instinct and knowledge about the potential of his body and brain power to cure himself. Not only did he cure himself in 6 months, he is now t ...more
John
Dec 26, 2009 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After seeing the movie “what the bleep, down the rabbit hole” in which Dr. Dispenza talked briefly about “creating your own day/reality”, I decided to read this book. Explaining the science behind the “neuroplasticity” of the brain—its ability to adapt and form new neural networks when prompted to do so—different brain structures and their functions and how to go about replacing long-standing thought patterns or tendencies with more positive versions, the book was at times a bit too “scientific” ...more
Sieran
Excellent premise. :D

Another one of those ultra inspiring self help books! XD

Except this one is even better. I REALLY LOVE the Scientific Basis of his theories. I especially liked how Dispenza organized the info with summary diagrams to clarify our understanding.

The only small shortcoming, was that a few sections in the middle were a bit overexplanatory...and the pace lagged a bit. But I admit I'm being a bit biased because I read too many books on basic neuroscience and evolutionary explanatio
Ron Campbell
This book really blew my mind about our Brain and how it works.

It really opened me to how little we actually know and understand about how our Brain actually works. About our frontal-lobe that doesn't fully form until we are in our twenties. No wonder the teenage years are so though to get through.

It is truly amazing how flexible our Brain is and how it can compensate when areas are damaged, even to heal. What we often see as permanent Brain damage can be healed, and/or other areas of the Brain
Cindy
Aug 09, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally finished this weighty tome! I think I've been working on it on and off (mostly off) for about a year. Detailed explanation of brain physiology and the relationship between brain chemistry and behavior patterns. Also he uses that knowledge to explain how to change your ingrained reactionary patterns to improve your life, your habits of thought and your life. An interesting mix of science and self-help.
Sharon
May 03, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting discussion and research regarding the brain and quantum physics to lead you into a process of daily meditation to align your emotional feeling state with your desired state of being (ie: joyful and seeing yourself living your desired life). You explore what has given rise within you to develop certain habits and how to rewire your neural pathways to "change" them and rewire new ones. An audio version of the meditation is available through the authors website.
Woodrow
Self-help book written largely around neurology. It repeats itself constantly through rephrasing [Useful if the terminology is new to you].
I especially liked chapter 9 'The Chemistry of Emotional Addiction.'
I give it a preemptive 4 because it's great for what it is. But I was hoping for something more... in depth and not so accessible. For a personal rating: 3 (as a lot of the material I was already familiar with and became bored while reading)
Brandon Kowallis
Life changing! If you are ever interested in why you behave the way you do, both good and bad, and have a difficult time changing, this book explains it from a neuroscience perspective, and then discusses some ways that you can rewire your brain circuitry so that you can become the person you want to become. Great for anyone struggling with depression, anxiety, or anger management problems, or if you just want to make a few changes to your personality or behavior.
Marco Villar
Jan 15, 2016 Marco Villar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is for far the best book I've ever read, it shows you the scientific principles of how your brain works and helps you to take over of your mind and your brain all this by using the three important laws: 1. The law of association. 2. The law of repetition. 3. The law of what fires together wires together. It will even help you to start to design your own neural networks consciously. It is a must!.
So sad that I lost this book halfway through reading it. But I've been informed that his other book is more useful, so I'll move on to that one. But if you believe in "incurable," read this guy's story. Very inspirational. Much-needed paradigm shift. The world seems a very different place once you start believing in your own power.
Kachina
Mar 19, 2012 Kachina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book that sticks with me years after reading it. The opening where he talks about healing his own back using energy healing and the power of his mind is extraordinary. I should not say "extra" because the message is that we all can accomplish feats such as this! Your mind is a wonderful and powerful thing.
Rudy Guevara
Dec 19, 2013 Rudy Guevara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wetting my appetite into Neuroscience Dr. Dispenza writes to the old soul, and give greater resources for better dialogue in a much needed world riddled in Philosophy, God, emotional wounds, etc etc. Arms our mind with better understanding, empathy, and the hungry to relate to our minds and learn more about it.
Candace H
Jan 28, 2011 Candace H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
This is a great book for anyone fascninated by the human brain (like me). It is pretty technical but the author makes it easy to understand the complex subject matter. He is a chiropractor and has some "interesting" beliefs, however the book isn't based on his beliefs or opinions but on the latest studies and findings in neuroscience.
  • The Spontaneous Healing of Belief: Shattering the Paradigm of False Limits
  • Why Smart People Can Be So Stupid
  • Molecules Of Emotion: The Science Behind Mind-Body Medicine
  • The Physics Of Consciousness: The Quantum Mind And The Meaning Of Life
  • Rewire Your Brain: Think Your Way to a Better Life
  • It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • The Spiritual Brain: A Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul
  • NLP Workbook: A practical guide to achieving the results you want
  • Choices and Illusions: How Did I Get Where I Am, and  How Do I Get Where I Want to Be?
  • Using Your Brain: For a Change
  • Healing at the Speed of Sound: How What We Hear Transforms Our Brains and Our Lives
  • The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking
  • The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles
  • Hubble: Imaging Space and Time
  • The Body Has a Mind of Its Own: How Body Maps in Your Brain Help You Do (Almost) Everything Better
  • Mind Performance Hacks: Tips & Tools for Overclocking Your Brain
  • Intimate Connections
  • Religions, Values, and Peak-Experiences

“Breaking away often from daily routines, they spent time alone, thinking and contemplating, examining and speculating about what kind of people they wanted to become. They asked questions that challenged their most deeply held assumptions about who they were. “What if” questions were vital to this process: What if I stop being an unhappy, self-centered, suffering person, and how can I change? What if I no longer worry or feel guilty or hold grudges? What if I begin to tell the truth to myself and to others? Those “what ifs” led them to other questions: Which people do I know who are usually happy, and how do they behave? Which historical figures do I admire as noble and unique? How could I be like them? What would I have to say, do, think, and act like in order to present myself differently to the world? What do I want to change about myself? Gathering” 1 likes
“Change is a powerful word and it is completely feasible, if you choose it. When” 0 likes