Start by marking “Everybody is Stupid Except for Me and Other Astute Observations” as Want to Read:
Everybody is Stupid Except for Me and Other Astute Observations

Everybody is Stupid Except for Me and Other Astute Observations

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  226 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews

Fans of Peter Bagge's generation-defining, satirical fiction may not realize this, but the cartoonist doubles as an opinionated cuss, and has been contributing provocative (but still hilarious) comic-strip opinion pieces to Reason magazine for the last several years...finally collected in this volume.

Although a libertarian by inclination (hence the Reason gig), Bagge (who

Published August 18th 2009 by Fantagraphics

Be the first to ask a question about Everybody is Stupid Except for Me and Other Astute Observations

Paul Eckert
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was ok

I found this book while surfing Fantagraphics’ most recent catalogue.
The title of this book pretty much sums up the content. Peter Bagge pretty much thinks everybody sucks except for himself. He is appropriately self-deprecating at times, but then it seems like he lets himself off the hook by citing laziness as his sin.

He admits to being a Libertarian, yet he never really explains anything about what he actually believes in. He quickly pokes fun at every other political ideology without provid
Jul 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2009, and
Should be renamed "I'm Not Funny When I Talk About Politics." Gets three stars because of my love of Hate.
Russell Grant

This collects the comics Bagge did for Reason magazine, a libertarian publication. I don't agree with all of Bagge's politics but that didn't stop me from enjoying the book. Bagge is great at depictiing his point of view and manages to be interesting when he's not being funny in these comicbook reports. It's good stuff.
Trashy Dreams
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm stupid. Pete Bagge was right. Or am I smart because I loved this? My only problem with this wasn't with the book, but with myself. Because of my minimal political knowledge, a bunch of the jokes and references got lost on me--but that's my fault.

What you get here is a collection of stories and observations (in comic form) from different assignments that he's been on for REASON magazine. Bagge's got his opinions on stuff of course, and talks shit about them, but he talks just as much shit ab
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Me lo habían vendido como polémico e incendiario, defensa de causas impopulares, pero es más bien todo lo contrario, la visión de alguien que piensa por sí mismo sobre diferentes situaciones que, en general por motivos partidistas, suelen resultar ineficaces y costosas para el erario público.
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have long wanted a single collection for Bagge's cartoons from REASON. They are funny, infuriating, silly, insightful, and indispensable reading for any libertarian (and most others, but they will ignore it anyway.)

Bagge takes no prisoners as he turns his jaundiced eye and pencil on a range of topics. Occasionally it grates on me, as when he vents the weird libertarian hostility to mass transit.... these libertarian car-owners need to Check Their Privilege, as my "progressive" friends keep sa
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Like many on the Left, I respect and enjoy Peter Bagge's art and humor, but not always his politics. His denouncements of many public services and his stance against gun control fly in the face of my beliefs. On the other hand, his Libertarian views on sex and drugs are refreshing in our puritanical, hypocritical society. With great candor and wit, Bagge tackles all these issues and more in Everybody Is Stupid Except for Me, a collection of his strips from Reason Magazine. As in his previous wor ...more
Nov 08, 2009 rated it liked it
There's something very comforting about reading about the chaos in Bagge's fictional characters' lives. I wonder if his real-life stories will be the same.

Update: Eh, it's kind of annoying reading about his Libertarian perspective. He doesn't make all that great of arguments either. I kept finding myself saying, "Well, what about this?" although I did other times think, "Eh, he's got a point." He's more than willing to put himself in his stories, like his change of opinion towards malls as he gr
Dave Riley
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
While I like what Bagge sets out to do in way of graphic technique I HATE American Libertarianism! What a indulgent mposition of editorialising Peter Bagge imposes on his readers.

Two parts arrogance and one part scoff...excuse me while I pass on the politics (and I'm a left radical!)

Over written in way of text-- most pages are primarily text -- editorialising text. Very little characterisation graphically - limited caricature palette.

I suspect this guy is grossly over rated as a comic maker.

Mar 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I Hate this book. No I don't I don't know why I said that. I've made a lot of money over the years selling Peter Bagge's stuff. There's a good reason for that. He's brilliant, and one of this generation's best. No kidding. The only complaint i have is he's just not proficient enough any more. A whole generation is now growing up reading manga and crap like that, and are really missing out. Look here, every page is smart AND funny, and I endorse this product. Think Robert Crumb on acid. This is b ...more
Artur Coelho
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Peter Bagge morde, algo a que os que o conhecem a sua obra já sabem. Neste livro o alvo do seu humor mordaz é apenas os sistemas políticos, ideologias e ditos formadores de opinião pública, dissecados com uma fina navalha de occam pelo olhar de um libertário perito em apontar a falta de bom senso na forma como a política lida com a sociedade. Se os detalhes desta banda desenhada que colige crónicas visuais para a revista Reason passam ao lado de leitores não norte-americanos, a crítica mordaz e ...more
Real Supergirl
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel
Bagge is a cartoonist I love from his work on Hate, and I liked this book a lot. I don't agree with all his premises, but he certainly makes libertarianism a lot more appealing than the nutbag Ron Paul does (BTW, he takes on Ron Paul in one of his pieces). He is critical of the left, critical of the right, and critical of himself, and that's I think ultimately why this collection works so well. He's funny, well-researched, and smart. Worth picking up.
Mark Schlatter
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I've been reading Peter Bagge since the early days of his Hate comic book, but his more recent works of fiction (done for Dark Horse Comics) have been rather hit or miss. This was a refreshing change --- it's a collection of his comics journalism/op-ed pieces for Reason magazine (a libertarian publication) and it's throughly entertaining as well as thought provoking.
Jul 23, 2011 added it
Fun collection of Bagge's idiosyncratic cartoons that originally appeared in REASON magazine. Sometimes churlish--his attack on Amtrak seems like overkill when by his own admission, he was taking it because his daughter cannot fly on planes--and sometimes wrongheaded--Bagge's in favor of water fluoridation, which even Ralph Nader is against at this point--but always amusing.
Chris Estey
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Love and Rockets Vol. 2 #2 MIGHT trump it for me (and who knows when Young/Lasky's Carter Family book will be out) but right now this is my favorite comics collection of the year. Definitely of reprinted strips, that's for sure. Bagge's insouciant crankiness is offset by his self-awareness and amazing cartooning skills.
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book.

Bagge isn't afraid to point out the foibles of folks in both parties, and his comic style is the perfect way to get his points across. There was a lot to think about here, but also a lot of entertainment value.

Highly recommended for Bagge fans and people who like to think outside the box politically.
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
I like Bagges' style, but loath his politics. If I wasn't so jaded about libertarianism, I suppose I would have given this 4 stars. It's tough to slog through this many political editorial cartoons. Regardless of the philosophy behind them, comics like this are meant to be read one at a time...
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Bagge's comics reportage is generally amusing and interesting, and more balanced than you might think, given his Libertarian leanings. The material doesn't always lend itself to his rubbery style, but overall this is a solid collection.
Jeff Raymond
A collection of Bagge’s Reason comics from the last decade or so. A lot of them were ones I’ve obviously seen since I’ve been a subscriber since college, but still some different, new stuff in there for me. It’s just fun to see the occasional anger that sepes out.
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I think I lost a few cultural references owing to my lack of background on American life of various decades. But, Peter Bagge's comments made an interesting read wherever I got them right. In general, the book is a good one to browse through once in a while but not extra-ordinary.
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this sort of slow to savor the Peter Baggeishness of Peter Bagge's writing. This is so good and may even be...better...than...Buddy Does Seattle. Maybe, just maybe.
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i am stupid and i love it !!!!!!!
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Funny AND informative. Learned and laughed.
Alex Robinson
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cranks
Shelves: comics
An enjoyable bunch of rants, drawn in the classic Bagge style. I don't always agree with his politics and still don't see what he has against roads but still a good read.
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty funny, but a bit too verbose for my tastes. I enjoyed his one-page comics way more than the four-pagers (I was especially tickled by the comic on intellectual property).
Jul 01, 2009 marked it as to-read
Click here for PW review and an interview with the author. Hilarious!

Nov 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Peter Bagge is kind of a horrible piece of human garbage. Reads like a privileged middle-aged entitled white dude. Can't help it though, love that art.
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Angry and misanthropic and articulate! He rails against the evils of the modern world. Good stuff.
Aug 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-strips
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it
uneven, Bagge is at his best when he attacks all sides of an issue and makes everyone sound stupid.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Get Your War On: The Definitive Account of the War on Terror 2001-2008
  • American Hero
  • The Horror! The Horror!: Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You to Read!
  • Action Philosophers!: the lives and thoughts of history's A-list brain trust
  • Coming to Our Senses: Body and Spirit in the Hidden History of the West
  • Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder
  • The Mammoth Book of Best Horror Comics
  • Jack Cole and Plastic Man: Forms Stretched to Their Limits
  • The Extraordinary Works of Alan Moore
  • The Arctic Marauder
  • Prison Pit, Vol. 1
Peter Bagge was born on December 11th, 1957, and raised in Peekskill, New York, about 40 miles north of New York City. While enrolled in the School of Visual Arts in New York City in 1977, Bagge discovered underground comics, and the work of R. Crumb in particular turned what had initially been only a vague interest in cartooning into a passion.

In the early '80s Bagge co-published three issues of
More about Peter Bagge...