Start by marking “Shadow of Doubt (Kali O'Brien, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow of Doubt (Kali O'Brien, #1)

Shadow of Doubt (Kali O'Brien #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  236 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Kali defends a friend from her past in a murder trial that draws her into a morass of sexual scandal, blackmail, and dark secret.
Published January 1st 2001 by Kensington (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of Doubt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of Doubt

Ellen
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
No Shadow of a doubt with Kali O'Brien, June 26, 2012

This review is from: Shadow Of Doubt: A Kali O'Brien Mystery (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read all of the Kate Austin books by this author and many of the Kali O'Brien books as well. This author, Jonnie Jacobs, knows how to write a good mystery...good timing and plenty of suspense.

I actually read this book several years ago and when it became available on Kindle I thought I'd go back and read it again.

Kali returns to her hometown following he
Ruth
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kali, a lawyer at a big time firm in San Francisco returns home for her father's private funeral service and to take care of his belongings. She hadn't been home in about three years and felt that her father had little feelings for either her or her siblings and hadn't offered them much support after their mother died. While at home, she stops to visit her long time friend Jannine and attends a Bar-B-Que where she catches up with her. Her intention is to clear up her father's affairs quickly and ...more
Kat
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Marty
Nov 09, 2016 added it
Attorney Kali O’Brian returns to her small town in the Sierra Mts. for her father’s funeral and to clear out his house. She intended to return to Berkeley and her boyfriend in a week or so. Of course, things don’t go as planned. Right after her father’s funeral, her best friend’s husband was killed and her friend became the chief suspect. Kali is convinced her friend is innocent, but things look bad. Can Kali help prove her innocence?
Angela
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it

I enjoyed the story. It took a while since I was only able to read a few pages a night. I thought the characters were realistic and that the authors writing style suited me. The characters were well developed. I didn't like the end. I felt rushed in the last 30 pages or so. It felt disingenuous to have a killer with a very contrived reason. I felt let down at the end. Seeing that this was one if the first In a long line, I will definitely read additional books on the series.
Ranooshe
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my first Kali O'Brian book. A typical police procedure book. Reveling the culprit is till the very end throwing the reader off in many wild goose chases, while also discovering the ugly reality of a quiet warm city. I also noticed that I read almost all the pages. Not much dragging on in description either. A good read in the police procedure section.
Joyce
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it

A surprisingly well done chic lit mystery. An Attorney goes back to her home town to bury her father and take care of his estate. Shortly thereafter her old friend's husband is murdered and she begins to investigate. There is enough complexity in the plot to keep the reader involved and an ending that is pure chic lit.
Amanda
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
I hadn't started the series from the beginning, so this one wasn't what I expected. I'm still looking forward to more of the series because the book that I read was fantastic. This was good to but I'm sure it was just a building.
Shelly
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mom, Denise
I actually liked this one (again, a Kindle edition but not a choice and not in my skill level to add it). I thought Kali O'Brien was believable and genuine and I loved that I could only figure out half the mystery before the author revealed the solution! I will probably read more of this series.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 07, 2012 added it
Shelves: mom-s
not very good
Patty
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ready for the next one....
Lillie
As she is trying to exonerate her friend from a murder accusation, Kali encounters old memories and mysteries from her own past.
Lili
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, a, law
There is not enough substance in the plot. A friend suspected of killing her husband and of course Kali is fortunately on hand to offer help and support. A little lightweight.
Joanne
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read August 2012
Dee
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it
The first in a series featuring protagonist Kali O'Brien. I will probably read more.
Nancy
Apr 07, 2015
Richard AD Denvil
Nov 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Looks to Die For (Lacy Fields, #1)
  • Death of a Serpent (Serafina Florio, #1)
  • High Marks for Murder (Bellehaven House, #1)
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Wild Goose Chase (A Quilting Mystery, #1)
  • Hot Enough to Kill (The Jolene Jackson Mystery Series, #1)
  • Now You Die
  • Blind Curve
  • Big Leagues (A Cat McDaniel Mystery, #1)
  • Old World Murder (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #1)
  • The Final Kill
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)
  • Little Sister
  • A Slice of Life
  • If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #1)
  • Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1)
  • O' Artful Death
  • Abby Finds Her Calling (Home at Cedar Creek, #1)

Kali O'Brien (7 books)
  • Evidence of Guilt (Kali O'Brien, #2)
  • Motion to Dismiss (Kali O'Brien, #3)
  • Witness for the Defense (Kali O'Brien, #4)
  • Cold Justice (Kali O'Brien, #5)
  • Intent to Harm (Kali O'Brien, #6)
  • The Next Victim (Kali O'Brien, #7)