Start by marking “Faith And The Electric Dogs” as Want to Read:
Faith And The Electric Dogs

Faith And The Electric Dogs

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  160 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Edison is a Mexican street dog, but he's far from ordinary. He can speak Bowwow and can understand English, Spanish, and French. When a girl named Faith rescues him, he begins a fantastic and unforgettable journey.
Published June 1st 1998 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published October 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Faith And The Electric Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faith And The Electric Dogs

Katie Van Amburg
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I bought this at a thrift store on a cross-country road trip merely because of the cover and the fact that it mentioned San Francisco on the back (hey, it was a quarter, so I didn't have to justify the purchase any more than that!). I think it's meant for children, but I ended up loving it. I finished it in two days of relaxed reading. I loved the imagination of the story. It held my interest because the language wasn't too elementary and the story was almost childishly whimsical but still almos ...more
Lindi
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
A delightful, magical tale about acceptance and friendship, with Spanish and Bowwow (one of several dog languages, we are told) words defined in the margins. I finished it on a recent morning and went to work, planning to order it for my school library when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but that it is out of print! Doggone it!!!
Faith
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When I was in 2nd grade I picked this book up, excited that it had my name right on the front! Books never have my name and that was very important to me, being that young. I ended up absolutely loving it! It's now my favorite book of all time and I have read it ten times over. I did read the second one but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as this one.
Danielle Katz
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Amusing and heartfelt story written from the perspective of the dog. In the style of magical realism with a wonder filled adventure of a girl who moves from San Francisco to Chiapas Mexico. She hates it there and is frustrated by not knowing how to speak the language. But in the end, my favorite saying, maybe because I've had my share of moving experience, "where ever you go there you are!"
Abby
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Charming magical realism for the elementary set. Recommended to me by the parent of an young advanced reader as a good challenge with age-appropriate emotional content. Wasn't my personal favorite, but would make a good read aloud and acceptable for Karen's "No More Dead Dogs!" List.. The dog narrator and frequent words and expressions in languages from Spanish to BowWow will delight kids.
Marisa B
May 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I teach at a primarily Spanish-speaking school and read this to my 4th graders every year.They really enjoy all the spanish inserts and my students who don't speak Spanish learn some words along the way. It is written with such humor and the kids love the fact that it's told by a dog. This has always been a hit with my classes and they are really bummed when it's over.
Elaine
Jun 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Younger kids who enjoy animals and funny stories
Review from 2004

It's funny the way the dogs have different languages! I liked when they were flying the Peahen. Pork fat and hot peppers for fuel? I also liked that you could also learn some Spanish words too. Not to mention, Bowwow, and all those! :)
Dianna
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
i read this a long time ago and really need to read it again because i don't think i really understood it the first time. i just barely remember a few things like a car hitting a dog and sending him into the gutter and an island and writing "fe" in the sand and other trivial things.
Kyriss Kristin
Jul 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Faith is an example of children’s fantasy. It was a cute book that incorporated spanish into the storyline. I wasn't totally in love with this book as I was with the others but it is definitely a cute book for younger children.
Kathy
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kiddos
Putting this on the read aloud list for the kiddos! Super cute and funny!
Kami Tilby
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Yay!!! a fast fun read, great to read to children, cousins, friends, on the beach. Makes you feel like a kid again.
Rae
Oct 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have loved this book ever since I first read it when I was 6. It's a treasure to me, and an excellent read! :D
Sharmaine
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember much of this book, but I do know it was my favorite when I was little.
I wish I could find a copy of it :(
Sara
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am reading this book with my son, it is such a sweet little story told from the dogs perspective. Having recently rescued a pup of our own, its adorable.
Julie Wood
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
great kids book, clever, intriguing with a great lesson that isn't too preachy
Arwen
Dec 03, 2011 added it
Recommends it for: Kids that are good at reading
Shelves: dogs, cute
It was a great book!
Andrea
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I remember this book from when I was in elementary school! I must have checked it about 10 times. I loved it!
Aven
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Its been a while since I've read this. It was ok.
Amy Z.
  • Wishing Moon
  • Helga's Dowry: A Troll Love Story
  • Mogie: The Heart of the House
  • Upchuck and the Rotten Willy
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #2)
  • Space Race
  • Jenny Goes to Sea
  • Arabel and Mortimer (Arabel and Mortimer, #4-6)
  • River Runs Deep
  • Riding Invisible
  • Ask Me
  • Operation Yes
  • Pigs Might Fly
“Sometimes fear and confusion can blunt your perceptions. You become so driven to make sense of things, to identify the dangers lurking around the next corner, that you neglect to see the wonders all around you.” 0 likes