Start by marking “Ekiben: The Art of the Japanese Box Lunch” as Want to Read:
Ekiben: The Art of the Japanese Box Lunch

Ekiben: The Art of the Japanese Box Lunch

4.54  ·  Rating details ·  13 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Shows and describes the contents of a variety of Japanese-style box lunches and discusses their background.

Over 150 full-color photographs of lunches in their containers, each accompanied by its name, the train station where it is sold, and notes on special design and culinary features.
Published October 1st 1989 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Ekiben, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ekiben

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, cook-books
Just think...each train stop specializes in a different box lunch! Fun and informative look at Japanese boxed lunches eaten by countless commuters every workday.
Jason Keenan
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japan
WARNING. AVOID IF HUNGRY. I was lucky enough to come across Ekiben: The Art of the Japanese Box Lunch in a used bookstore back in 2013. It was in the window and it drew me in. Though the style and design looks brand new it was published in 1989.

My wife assures me - between exclamations that we need to eat one of the ekiben - that despite the years the ekiben remain the same. It’s one of the great things about Japan – no matter how much change rolls on, some key things always stay the same.

The b
Yue
This is an photobook with the most appealing bentos. One more beautiful and mouthwatering than the other. An advice: not read it with an empty stomach.

I wish it was longer. It is outdated since it was printed in the late '80s but I don't think they have changed much.
Avis Black