Start by marking “Till Morning Is Nigh (Country Road Chronicles #3)” as Want to Read:
Till Morning Is Nigh (Country Road Chronicles #3)

Till Morning Is Nigh (Country Road Chronicles #3)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  239 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
It is December of 1932, just one year after the Worthams and the Hammonds lost Wilametta Hammond and Emma Graham in one terrible night. The Christmas spirit seems largely absent again this year. George Hammond has disappeared, and Julia Wortham's house is filled to overflowing with the Hammond children, several of whom are coming down with a mysterious illness. As Christma ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Revell

To ask other readers questions about Till Morning Is Nigh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Till Morning Is Nigh

Victoria
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE Leisha Kelly stories! While the stories uplift me, my heart is still saddened to have lost such a wonderful writer at such a young age. I cannot recommend her stories for those who like old-fashioned tales, and tales of simple Christians who truly live their faith.
Helen Pickering
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Till morning is nigh

What a sweet Christmas story of faith and family a lesson in how to make do with what we have and the joy of sharing
Julia Wilson
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Till Morning Is Nigh by Leisha Kelly is set in December 1932, and told in the first person of Julia Wortham, a mother of three (two of her own, and Katie, whose mother left her to be a singer). This makes the reading of the novel much more personal, as the reader can identify with the character a Julia. The novel is a Christmas Wortham novel, I had not read any of the other novels in the series, but that did not hamper my enjoyment.
A year previously Wila Hammond had died, leaving ten children mo
Doris
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well done story of a poor mountain family struggling with the first Christmas holiday after the death of their mother. The loss of his wife has unsettled their father, and he abandons them to the care of a neighbor, Mrs Wortham, and disappears. The story centers around the family bond and the need to keep going in the face of despair.

There were only 2 things about the story out of place, but the first one made it real - Rorey is not a likable child. She is all about herself and her feelings.

The
Jan
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read and loved many of this author's books. They are simple but full of heart.

The Worthens have settled in Emma's old home and continue to take care of their neighbors, the Hammonds. There are ten Hammond children who take care of their drunk, mostly useless father. Their mother died last Christmas and that is in each child's heart as the day approaches. The father has run off in his depression, so the Worthens have taken in all the children, plus their own. It's a pleasure to read about
Margaret
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
A sweet story with a good message, but very obviously the middle of a series and was not marked at such . There was nothing anywhere in the book to indicate that I was coming into the middle of a story in progress, and believe me I looked, as it was a little confusing. Finally, I looked online and found that indeed it is book #4 in a series of 7. I would not have started the book if I had known this. I did really like the overall message of the story, but it really didn't "stand alone" as some b ...more
Stacy
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another really good book in the Wortham family series. This book apparently bridges the gap between the first three and last three books. I read it before the holiday season as part of the Winter Reading Challenge, and it was a perfect book for this time of year.

Taking place in the Great Depression, it reminds me of just how truly blessed we all are now. We don't have to scrape for food and make our own clothes and gifts. This is a story of family and faith. Loved it :)
Kati
Mar 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Another nice story about the Worthams and the Hammonds. I think I would have enjoyed it more to read it at the point in the series where it belonged time wise though. I had just finished the series and many of the characters were grown up. In this book they are all little, so it was hard to remember they were little kids again.
Krystal
Jan 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-books
I got this book for Christmas from my mom - otherwise I probably wouldn't have read it. It was a sweet enough story but there were some missing details so I think it is either part of a series or the author is jsut not detail oriented! Not sure that I really cared enough about the characters to read more books in the series to fill in the gaps, though!
Kristi Mangold
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a great quick read and I would have given it 5 stars but you have to figure out the order on your own... this not book 3 in second set its book 4 in the first set(after Katie's dream) before you start the second set... even the librarian was confused when I pointed it out... but all in all its a great story line and an awesome message.
Judy King
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the hard times of 1930s (?) rural America. Nice Christmas story about friends, neighbors helping each other in times of need. Good characterization especially with some of the children in the story. Nice job....sweet story.
Aaron
Sep 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute little book. A book dosn't have to be epic to leave you feeling better for having read it. This is one of those books that is part of a series, but that you can read in any order I like that.
Becky
Dec 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday-fiction
This old-fashioned Christmas takes place in 1932 in
a very difficult time in our country. The Wortham
family manages to have a blessed holiday in spite of
having too many mouths, too little money, and having
children ill. This is a Christmas of healing.
Debi Bourdette
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: challange
This was about a hard life. The times were tough and people so much more likely to open their hearts and homes for those that needed it. Kudos to this family that was willing to do so much for another family. And blessings abound.
Darlene Ferland
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Set in 1932 during the Depression, this book is a sweet story about loss, sorrow and the ability to overcome deep-seated sorrow during Christmas. A strong belief in Jesus and the innocence of children round out this lovely and moving story. . .
Marie
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is another great book about the Wortham and Hammond families. It takes place during the depression like her earlier 3 books.
Sandy Forman-Johnson
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Makes you realize what is important in life. Very well done.
Darlene Wilson
Oct 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
A lovely little Christian story to get me in the mood for the approaching season. . . Reminded me of the hard time stories my mom used to tell.
Linda
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am enthralled with reading the saga of the Wortham and Hammond families, the trials and tribulations that they have endured. Looking forward to reading about the continuing lives in the next book.
Teresa
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
A nice Christmas story.
Stacy
Jan 15, 2009 marked it as to-read
another one I haven't read! I din't know this existed but I'll look for it
Janetkc7wvy
Nov 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Was enjoyable but you never find out what happened to the kids mother of Katie's mother. After reading it I found it was part of a series.I guess you have to read the others to really understand.
Debbie
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
a beautiful loving book about love and family.
Holly
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! This is a wonderful series by a great author.
Lynnea
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
short quick read. I loved the way the children played with the nativity - moving Mary and Joseph closer to "Bethlehem" as Christmas approached.
Cws
Dec 04, 2008 added it
Shelves: young-adult
YA Kel
Loraine
Nov 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This well-written depression era Christmas story shows how the joy of Christmas can overcome the pain of loss and hard times.
Kate
Sep 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Learning to Fly
  • One More Sunrise
  • Remember to Forget (Clayburn,#1)
  • Unwrapping Christmas
  • Illuminated (An August Adams Adventure, #1)
  • Wagered Heart
  • Blue Heart Blessed
  • A Stranger at Fellsworth (Treasures of Surrey, #3)
  • Splitting Harriet
  • Miss Invisible
  • Speak Through the Wind (Crossroads of Grace #2)
  • A Day with a Perfect Stranger
  • Unwilling Warrior (Seasons of Redemption, #1)
  • Slices of Life (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #8)
  • The Spirit of the Season (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #21)
  • Dawn of a Thousand Nights: A Story of Honor (World War II Liberator #3)
  • Small Town Girl (Rosey Corner, #2)
  • Here Comes Santa Cat
aka L.A. Kelly

A resident of Clayton, Ill., Kelly authored 11 books, including the best-selling historical fiction series centered around the Wortham and Hammond families—published by Revell/Baker Publishing Group. Her most recent book, The House on Malcolm Street, was published by Revell in September 2010.

Kelly, who home-schooled her two children, served as children's ministry director and youth m
More about Leisha Kelly...

Country Road Chronicles (4 books)
  • Rorey's Secret (Country Road Chronicles, #1)
  • Rachel's Prayer (Country Road Chronicles, #2)
  • Sarah's Promise (Country Road Chronicles, #4)

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland