Start by marking “Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)” as Want to Read:
Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)

Blood from Stone (Retrievers #6)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  860 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Wren Valere's job is driving her crazy. She's still Manhattan's most sought-after Retriever, but after last year's deadly confrontation with the Silence, all this magic-user wants is a break. With her apartment going co-op and her relationship with the demon P.B. putting stress on her romance with partner Sergei, is Wren finally ready to settle down to a more stable existe ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Luna (first published April 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Blood from Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood from Stone

Rachel
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a decent end to the series. (This is not a spoiler -- Gilman notes on the first page that she's done with these characters for a while, and is moving on to a new series starring Bonnie). It gave me the weird impression that she wasn't done with them until about 3/4 way through the book, and then hastily wrapped everything up. Other than that, though, it was a fairly satisfying conclusion.

Now that Wren and P.B. have discovered their bond, and the truth about demons, they find t
Cathy
May 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cathy by: series, plus Romantic Times Book Reviews 4*
It's really a 3.5, but the writing is a cleat cut above 3. The author prefaced this entry with an explaination that this is the end of Wren's series, but not books set in this world. The next books will be about Wren's downstairs neighbor, Bonnie. Therefore there are many tantalizing references to Bonnie and her work. If the author hadn't made the connection clear it probably wouldn't have annoyed me. Or tantilized. So, a mixed feeling on that; putting the info at the beginning instead of the en ...more
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
A sort of sad semi ending to a good series. I didn't like the way things were left off with Sergei and Wren, I felt like the end was a tad rushed and there just seemed to be an overall disconnect between two characters that were built to be connected. I would have liked to know more about Sergei's treatment, Wren's wizzed out behavior and more about PB.

I gave it a four because I like the series but it's really more of a 3.5 just because I walked away feeling a little confused and unsatisfied.
Tracy Riva
Blood from Stone by Laura Anne Gilman was a very enjoyable urban-fantasy read set in modern day Manhattan. In it, dryads, giants and piskies makes an appearance, while the stage's main players are Sergei, a Null (non-magic user), "Wren" Valere, a Talent (a user of the magic force known as current) and P.B., a demon.

Valere is a Retriever, which is a nice way of saying she's a thief. In this story she does two retrievals, one for a client and one for her friend P.B. Both retrievals have their cha
Cyn Armistead
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It feels like a spoiler, but since Gilman says this at the front of the book, I suppose it isn't: Blood From Stone is the last Retrievers novel, at least for a time. She's moving on to focus on other characters in the Cosa Nostradamus universe. I wasn't happy to read that, but after reading the book, I'm okay with it.

Blood From Stone definitely isn't a book to start with if you're new to Gilman's work. The Retrievers series really does need to be read sequentially. If you have read the rest, you
Denise
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
After reading Free Fall, I couldn't imagine Laura Anne Gilman making Wren Valere's life any more "interesting," but I stand corrected. While not the nail-biting, hair-raising page-turner of the previous book, Blood Stone is as filled with twists and turns as ever. To me, Blood From Stone is about learning to accept oncself and one's history as the past comes back to haunt Wren and those closest to her. Wren is forced to face the reality of her own particular mortality, that the thing that makes ...more
Mike
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A nice end cap, for now anyway, to the series. Wren Valere is on a personal mission to help her friend, P.B., a member of the non-human Fatae community that is made up of all supernatural creatures in this universe. P.B. is a demon, one of several created beings made by someone with Talent, magical ability, in order to allow Talent (magic users) to draw on more power, more safely than they ordinarily could.

A cabal of those related to P.B.'s creator or descendants of his students are looking for

Kateri
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is more like 4 and a half stars. I liked this book more than I liked the last two Retriever books. This one was just about Wren, Sergei, and P.B., instead of all the extra characters/conspiracies/etc. Not that I didn't enjoy those books, I just liked this story about the core characters even more. I know Gilman is taking a break from Wren for awhile to write more about Bonnie and the PUPIs, and I like them too, but I hope we see more of Wren, Sergei, and P.B. soon!
Music_lover3
May 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-and-own
Impressive as always. I'm just sad to see this is the last one. It was a good ending, but it still doesn't feel like it's the end of the series. From the author's note though it sounds like it's only a temporary ending, so she may get back to it eventually. I hope she does because this is an excellent series that I would love to see more of.
Unwisely
May 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2010
I have enjoyed this series since I stumbled across it. The appears the to be last one in this arc (but not in this world, apparently).

Am not sure if it's because it's been a few days and I read four books in the middle, but, man, I'm having a hard time thinking of things to say. I guess that means it was pleasant enough but not particularly memorable.
Jenny
Jan 18, 2011 rated it liked it
i hope the series is nice and wrapped up now. ok, just say it, r-rated. everyone is safe and people are getting the mental help they need and even young future talent is being retrieved and monitored to make sure they stay safe. sounds like and ending to me. i'm done.
^_^
Aug 09, 2010 rated it liked it
I have been a little unenthusiastic with this series as of late, but this book is a satisfying conclusion to Wren's and Sergei's story in this world. I don't know if I'll pick up the continuing adventures of Bonnie though. We'll see.
Lynn Calvin
Amazon preorder,Amazon received
Kimberly
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I love this series and am sorry no future books for it. Looking forward to "Hard Magic" the first PSI book next year.
Rachel Janke
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Love the whole series....!!!
Joan Mueller
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nice series. A little slow at times, but good storyline.
Teresa Bratcher
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I finally finished this series.
Summer
Jul 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
good end to the series
Jayne
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Wasn't exactly the best ending of a series.
Beth Shapeero
May 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
Terrible; dull and implausable.
Traci
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book cleared up some interesting questions. And it was as near to a happy ending as it was going to get.
Christine Hayes
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the story and how the characters are growing closer.
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Juilano
Great (temporary) wrap up to the Retrievers series! Loved the insight into P.B.'s background and the connection with him and Wren.
Michele bookloverforever
Re-read the n May, 2017. Amazing series.
Anita
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
Interesting series. but this book will make little sense unless you started at book one.
Roswita
Mar 04, 2009
Linda
Feb 27, 2012
Katie
Apr 29, 2009
Renee
Sep 23, 2011
  • Hands of Flame (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #3)
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Redemption Alley (Jill Kismet, #3)
  • Phantasm (Zoe Martinique, #3)
  • Infernal Affairs (OSI #4)
  • Witch Craft (Nocturne City, #4)
  • Spell Games (Marla Mason, #4)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • The Ravening (Blood Moon, #3)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Wild Hunt (Evie Scelan, #2)
  • A Drop of Red (Vampire Babylon, #4)
  • Bad to the Bone (WVMP Radio, #2)
By the time she was fourteen, Laura Anne Gilman knew she would be an editor, a teacher, or a writer.

By thirty, she was all three. She's a little focused that way (when not being distracted by -oooh shiny!).

After fifteen years working in NY publishing, Laura Anne became a full-time writer, with more than twenty novels under her various bylines, including THE COLD EYE and SILVER ON THE ROAD, the Neb
More about Laura Anne Gilman...

Retrievers (6 books)
  • Staying Dead (Retrievers, #1)
  • Curse the Dark (Retrievers, #2)
  • Bring It On (Retrievers, #3)
  • Burning Bridges (Retrievers, #4)
  • Free Fall (Retrievers, #5)